painting fiberglass

Options
btnhfan
btnhfan Posts: 20
edited June 2004 in Custom Fabrication
what is the best way to paint fiberglass and get that nice and shiny finish. i have done a few projects with fiberglass using spray paint and it doesnt come out that shiny.
Post edited by btnhfan on

Comments

• Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited June 2004
    Options
    glossy clear coat on it afterwords? idk just a guess
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited June 2004
    Options
    well, i know that sanding it down helps immeasurably (be damn careful - wear a surgical mask, a hat, long sleeves, and jeans... you do NOT want that dust on you... and yes, you will look retarded with a surgical mask on sanding a piece of plastic, but it's better than the days or weeks of irritation and inflammation than can arise)

after sanding, i'd guess just a couple base coats then a couple regular coats then a finish of some description...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • btnhfan
    btnhfan Posts: 20
    edited June 2004
    Options
    i have sanded it down a lot and used lots of clear coat. i wanted to know if people use auto paint instead of spray paint to make it shiny.
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Spray paint, unless it's some kind of expensive fancy stuff, won't give you that shiny finish you're looking for.
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • scottnbnj
    scottnbnj Posts: 709
    edited June 2004
    Options
    it has to be smooth. i don't know what else you can use, but if you put the cellophane from a pack of cigarettes on your fingers and feel the surface, you'll feel the imperfections.

make sure paint is very dry first.

you might be able to get them out with buffing compound. if that doesn't work, use very fine sand paper(1000-1500 grit, found at auto parts or auto painting supply store) or scrungy pad(equiv. to 000 or 0000 steel wool home depot/lowes) first,.. then buff with buffing compound.

wipe down lightly with whatever thinner your paint uses and let dry between changing grits or going to the next phase(except lacquer).

when you're sure you're done spraying, sanding and buffing, then use wax.

)