How to get into tubes?

Options
I-SIG
I-SIG Posts: 2,238
edited June 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
Everyone keeps harping on tubes. I like my Parasound HCA-2200 SS amp, so I know I don't want to dump it.

Withthat out of the way what's the best method to get into tubes without breaking the bank? CDP? Preamp? other?

Thanks,
Wes
Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
Post edited by I-SIG on

Comments

• tonyv1
    tonyv1 Posts: 365
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Definitely a tube preamp.
    Everything has to go through the preamp and will benefit from the warm lush sound of the preamp. Check the used market and Bottlehead sells a preamp kit if you want to DIY, plus they're inexpensive.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Pm sent
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited June 2004
    Options
    6dj8 is a solid tube for preamps!
    go easy on the billfold and enjoy.
    Tubes are way cool.
    HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Go tube pre amp first. You will notice a big difference. Make sure you research the pre amp before buying. Some tube pre's sound like SS. If you want 100% tube sound in the pre, buy one with tube rectification. SS rectification is fine too.

Remember to turn on the tube pre before your SS amp. Let the tube pre heat up for about 30sec before turning on your SS amp or else you'll get a big KABOOM sound.

Maurice
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited June 2004
    Options
    I'll agree, I like the tube pre / SS amp combo as well. I feel that you really get the best of both worlds.

Tube pres can be had fairly reasonable (depending on your definition of reasonable).

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited June 2004
    Options
    just how reasonable are we talking about guys? $100 to $250 reasonable or more $$ ?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • ezc
    ezc Posts: 426
    edited June 2004
    Options
    I started with a tube cdp. Sounds much better than my ss cdp. I dont have a amp or preamp yet in my system. I run the cdp through a Rotel 1065 receiver 2 chanel. My cdp is a Njoe Tjoeb & was purchased from upscale audio & was $699. Highly tweakable, they sell opp amp chip upgrades that are plug in or a upsampler that can be installed at any time. I have gone to the better burr brown opp amps & upgraded pc only. Recently I have changed the tubes & wow what a difference. I looked at other tube cdp & the cost for most was about double or more. CDP may be a starting point also! www.upscaleaudio.com is the link for the player, good reviews &so far for me great player!I wanted to buy one used but couldnt find a used tjoeb for sale!
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited June 2004
    Options
    I started out all SS. Later I got a tube CD player. OK, a little improvement was there. Later I tried a very cheap tube preamp. The sound was different but not better. (It was a very cheap pre). I kinda gave up. A few years later I found a Jolida EL34 amp at 50 watts per channel. It made more difference in my system than anything else ever had. I immediatly fell in love and gave up using all the SS amps. A few months later I hooked up one of my SS amps and it just didn't do it for me anymore. Sometimes when I want something really loud or want to watch movies the SS amps are great but for my two channel, no SS amps there.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Libertyc
    Libertyc Posts: 914
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Check out this preamp $400 shipped:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14974&item=5705499613&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

It has very good reviews and has very good build quality.

Another option might be trying a Dynaco ST70 which you find on ebay. The prices of these amps keep going up, but you can still find a good deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=71545&item=5705417370&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Got a couple of PM's recommending the Dared units. Their website is down so what's the **** on the Dared pre's, namely the 2000 model.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d