NEW North American Svetlana tubes

organ
organ Posts: 4,969
edited June 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
These are not SED. I'm thinking about giving them a try. These tubes and EH are on sale for $19.99/pr. I'm going to order a quad and report back on their sound quality.

They're made by Reflektor. The makers of EH and Sovtek.

http://www.thetubestore.com/ne-el34.html

Maurice
Post edited by organ on

Comments

• organ
    edited June 2004
    I recevied them today but don't want to try them out yet. The reason for this is because I was playing with toe-in two nights ago and didn't realize how much better my RF-35 sounded with A LOT of toe-in. I'll try the Svets later on tonight.

By looking at the new tubes, they look very similar to the EL34EH. No surprise since they're made by the same company. The bottle on the Svet is larger with a brown base just like SED. But the Svet have a dimple on top. So far the plate and getter on the Svet looks just like the one on the EH.

Maurice
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited June 2004
    Damn you Maurice. ;)

Do you have the Electro-Harmonix EL34's? The sale has me thinking.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • organ
    edited June 2004
    Get them EL34EH:D. They go on sale every summer for $19.99. So far I'd take the EH over the new Svetlana. The EH has more 'character'. The Svet sounds close being really smooth, good bass response, soundstaging, etc but it just doesn't move me like EH. The EH has more of that nice magical tube mids.

Even if you don't plan to use the EH yet, you should try them out. They sound f#cking incredible with the triode mod. Let me know when you decide to convert it to triode. All you're losing is 3db but you gain much better sound.

Maurice
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited June 2004
    Well, I'll get some EH's.

I'm really getting anxious for the Foreplay to come.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.