Bass Shakers

Options
dean/klipschead
dean/klipschead Posts: 295
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
Anyone here on this forum use them

like the Aura Bass Shakers (cheap is good)

http://www.smarthome.com/8249.html
Dean
Quicksilver M-60 monoblocks - JM 200 Peach Linestage - Sony DVP-S9000ES - '03 modified Klipschorns

"I'm sure it's better than it sounds."-- Mark Twain, when asked what he thought about Wagner's music
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• Barfuls
    Barfuls Posts: 4
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I use two Clark bass shakers, mounted directly to the bottom & back of my couch. They aren't cheap, especially when you consider using a good amp and equlizer (to control them with). I began using them as a sub-subwoofer (I use 4 subs in my system), but found that the sensation of feeling in real life (music performances mostly) occurs much further up in frequency as well. It has been a big challenge to adjust them to feel accurate (as opposed to an effect), but the trouble & expense has been worthwhile. It has helped the system become more real sounding, as well as adding an accurate feeling to performances as well.
  • CrazyHead
    CrazyHead Posts: 63
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I have a pair of the Aura "pro" models. I have not hooked them up yet simply because I cannot find a worthwhile amplifier to use them with. Yeah, I could buy a plate amp and build a box, true. But I'd rather have something a bit more complete.

Now that I have the LSi9's, if I decide to keep them, I may finally get a chance to use these!

-crazyhead-
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited March 2002
    Options
    on hookim up, do you come off an extra amp from a lfe out put, or do you need a cross over after amp from a pre amp out put.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • Barfuls
    Barfuls Posts: 4
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Both of the methods you mention will work, Joe, but since I have subs on all channels (allowing me to run them all full range), I use the LFE output. I see this as a bit of a compromise, but for now it's how it works. I configured my LFE output to run full range (no 80 hz filter), and use a 10 band equlizer to shape the output.

Does anybody know of a way I can accurately measure the response of my couch? For that matter, measure response below 20 hz as well? All the tones and meters I've found stop at 20 hz & a shaker should be adjusted well below that.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I use four of the Clarks mounted to the main beam under the living room. They work really nice. Good solid bass without messing with the sound of the mains. Terribly hard to set up in an audiophile system but once you do they are unbeatable. I ended up using an audiocontrol bass controller to get the right sound. Coolest thing about it is that at 3:00AM I can be standing in the middle of a huge club with thousands of watts going but once I set foot out of the living room it goes away. The neighbors love that more than they will ever know! Unfortunatly after 7 years of hard use they are starting to go bad. I think they have a given life span and I have reached it. I'm sure I will replace them when possible. $$$
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • jeremie
    jeremie Posts: 246
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I have six of the aura bass shakers in my theater. I have two per couch and one in each chair. I am running mine with an amp from parts express. 250watt sub amp. The amp is only at 3/8 the way up and it vibrates the chairs plenty any more would be annoying. I think that you would be very happy with them. I purchased my bass shakers off the web for 16 bucks a pair. Very dirt cheap just have to do some shopping around. Go to dvdtalk.com and do a search or ask if anyone knows where to get them cheap somone will. Or try AVSForum.com and post it on Home theater accessories. Thats where I found out about mine. Some people think they are a waste of money but the expression on peoples faces when they feel it during the movie is priceless. Check out my theater in system showcase. I will have pics of the bass shakers soon.
    Receiver Yamaha 3070 *Emotiva xpa5 * Behringer iNuke 6000dsp *Monster Cable HTS 3500 -- line conditioner * Panamax 5300 * Apple 4K * Panasonic UB820 * JVC NX5 * Silver Ticket thin bezel 120”
    LSIM - Fronts 707 * Center 706c * Sides 702 * Rear 703 *FP RC85i * RP RC65i * Sub (2) SI HT18