Cheap turntable/ speaker/docking station combo?

Options
jflail2
jflail2 Posts: 2,868
edited June 2013 in Going Digital
So a friend of mine is interested in picking up a cheap turntable/ speaker combo, as she'd like to get into vinyl. Not in line with what you guys usually buy I don't think, but she was looking at something along the lines of this Sony:

http://store.sony.com/p/PS-LX300USB/en/p/PSLX300USB#specifications

She doesn't have much of a budget, so any recommendations for a simple, 2 channel set up (maybe a turn table/ docking station for the time being) would be greatly appreciated.
2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
Post edited by jflail2 on

Comments

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Don't follow you, entirely. Won't she need an amp or receiver too? So an amp, speakers and TT, yes?

I'd think about something vintage for a low budget system. Technics P-mount tables can be had for the price of that Sony and cheaper. They're a decent starter table that is NO hassle. Nothing to calibrate, P-mount cartridges snap into place and you're good to go. These tables also have Quartz lock drives so no need to mess with the table's speed. Easy peasy! Then think about a nice old integrated or receiver with a decent phono section. Most of the biggies are OK there: Harman Kardon, Sansui, Yamaha, Kenwood, etc. $100 used?

A couple of nice vintage speakers. Well, why not Polk Monitor 5As or 7s? Depending on the size! Or some ubiquitous EPI 100Vs? About $100 a pair?

For $300 or less you can put together one very nice used vintage system. Let me describe one I run:

HK 430 (twin power receiver)
    Dynaco A25 speakers
    Realistic LAB 290 (turntable-belt drive)

Total cost: 80+100+30=210

Sound? Pretty darn good for 210! Probably could have gotten the speakers for less than that price if I waited some?

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I hear ya DSkip. She's a very good friend, so I don't want to burst her bubble with "stick to CDs." I figured I'd help her to the rabbit hole entrance, and she can decide how far down she'd like to tumble from there. So yea, I think it is a novelty/nostalgia thing. Just think, this is a future 2 channel nut in the making, if the advice is given right from the get go :)

And yes, CNH, that's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. She was looking at the "modern" turntables (excuse my terminology ignorance), so I think she was pondering connecting it directly to an "all in one" speaker of some sort, like a sound bar.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • Glen B
    Glen B Posts: 269
    edited June 2013
    Options
    IMO, the minimum new entry level TT for someone looking to get into vinyl should be something along the line of a Pro-Ject Essential, at $299.00. It comes complete with an Ortofon OM3E cartridge and dust cover.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Pro-Ject-Essential-Turntable-in-Black?sc=2&category=46

http://www.needledoctor.com/Pro-Ject-Essential-Turntable-in-Red?sc=2&category=46
    Main System: Denon DP-59L | Audio-Technica AT33EV | Marantz SA-11S2 | Classe DR-10 | Classe CA-300 | Classe RC-1 | PSB Stratus Gold i's | DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner | Acoustic Zen and NeoTech cables | Oyaide and Furutech power connectors | Dedicated 20A isolated ground line.

Home Theater: Toshiba D-VR5SU | Laptop #1 |Outlaw Audio OAW3 wireless audio system | Marantz SR-19 | Phase Linear 400 Series 2, modified | AudioSource 10.1 EQ (for subs) | Axiom M3 v3’s | Axiom VP150 | Optimus PRO-X55AVs | Dayton 12” powered subs (x2) | Belkin PureAV PF-60 line conditioner.

Party System: Laptop #2 | Audioquest Dragonfly USB DAC | Technics SU-A6 | Acurus A-250 | Radio Shack 15-band EQ | Pioneer SR-9 reverb | Cerwin Vega DX9's | Dayton 100° x 60° horns with titanium HF/MF compression drivers.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited June 2013
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Why would she want to get into vinyl if she isn't at least somewhat serious about audio? Is it just the novelty? Seems like too much work and money for the average person.

Not bashing at all, I just don't see the draw of vinyl (excluding novelty/nostalgia) for anyone outside of this hobby.

I suspect that is the draw. BTW, very nice AT Table Mike.

But unless you're going down the vinyl road, you can put together a VERY listenable system, as described above, for LESS than the price of a good new table?

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]