Old School Monitor 10's-Time to Upgrade?

Options
swisheri
swisheri Posts: 12
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
It's time to upgrade my Home theatre system. I have a Onkyo Integra TX88 reciever. I am planning to keep my 10's upfront. Any recommendations for center channel and rear surrounds? My Polks survived many college parties, my kids and cats. The front felt covers need replaced. Does Polk still sell covers? I have been doing extensive reciever research. Reading many consumer reviews online. My Onkyo has and still does serve me well. I am looking at Onkyo txds797,txds696 and Denon avr3802. I have read that the Dennon has a very warm sound. I prefer a very bright sound with a punch. I am using this system for home theatre surround as well as music.
Your response is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advanced.
Ian
Lancaster, PA
old school polk
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited March 2002
    Options
    your up there in lancaster,I get out there from time to time doing Install's(home theater that is).The monitor 10's are great speaker's.If you try the Denon, you will find a very pleasing tone that your speaker's never ad before.If your used to the Onkyo,then your ears bight be scared as the Onkyo's tend to be on the bright side.Thats not a bad thing if you like that .Yamaha make's bright amp's as well but they seem to be more clean and clear then just bright like the Onkyo stuff.We carry Integra as well as Onkyo and they all are very bright mated with everything.I don't personally care for the Integra line even the 9.1 which is top of the line and it sounds better then the rest of the line but still has that harsh,bright tone.If you want to upgrade,Try Yamaha and Denon,very different sounding,bring your awesome 10's with you(get past the laughing that most salesman will do at them old speaker's0and find the right receiver that sound's the best to you.You will most likely like the Yamaha over the new Onkyo and Denon unless you fall in love with the warm clean,clear sound of the Denon.
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.