My new TV!

mjk91383
mjk91383 Posts: 298
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
Just happened to be at Sam's Club with my grandpa this morning when I came across the deal of a lifetime...

I had noticed three weeks ago that Sam's started carrying those massive Philips 60" HD-TV's for $2499. Well, I'm in there this morning, and I noticed that the price had changed... now just $1599!

Needless to say, I bought one immediately and caught a sweet 6-months interest free deal so I don't have to worry about draining the savings while just starting college.

I'm going to pick it up tonight and set that baby up! I wanted a 46" Mitsubishi, but Hi-Fi Buys was the only place around here that carried them and they wanted $2199 and a whopping, get this, 24.9% APR! I told those **** where they could stick their interest, and went and bought the Philips.

I'll report back when I get it set up. Man, this is going to be a hell of an improvement over my meager 25" direct view! :eek:

joe :D
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited March 2002
    Congrats man, sounds like you are in for a hell of a time. It is very exciting to make the big screen jump. Great deal too.:D
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited March 2002
    Awesome Joe. Welcome to the world of HD. Is it 16:9 or 4:3? Let us know how she looks when you get her wired up and running.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • mjk91383
    edited March 2002
    She's a beautiful 16x9, Ron!

• billlb
    billlb Posts: 59
    edited March 2002
    I would have to say that's the best deal in the country! A 60" widescreen hdtv, it sounds to good to be true. Awesome deal baby, have fun nad let us know when you add a hd tuner to that baby? I'm going to check our sam's and see if they have that same deal? Movies will never be the same in your house, have fun.
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited March 2002
    great deal joe, i thank i will go down to sams club and look, dose sams club have there own warrenty or philips have it .dose sams club have any thing smaller in wide screen hd.

thanks joe for telling us about your new hd tv, im getting jelous
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • Eddie624
    Eddie624 Posts: 77
    edited March 2002
    Is that TV really down to 1599. To me it seems they may have mispriced it or else it was a used one or something. I know exactly the tv u are talking about it cause i seen it in sams a few weeks ago myself.
  • Nashvilletitans
    Nashvilletitans Posts: 80
    edited March 2002
    I been wanting a new T.V.!! I gotta get to Sams pronto(with permission of course ) =0)

"Theres no crying in baseball................................!!"
  • mjk91383
    edited March 2002
    Originally posted by Eddie624
    Is that TV really down to 1599. To me it seems they may have mispriced it or else it was a used one or something. I know exactly the tv u are talking about it cause i seen it in sams a few weeks ago myself.

Yeah, it was the floor model. From what I know, the thing had never been plugged in. I knew I was taking a slight risk getting an open box, but it's turning out to be an even better deal than what I first thought.

I've been too busy moving around furniture and equipment to tinker around with the set yet, but I did play a couple of scenes from Moulin Rouge and man is there a difference! This thing blows my 25" direct view out of the water!

The picture quality is average using s-video, but I'm wondering whether or not a Progressive Scan player would make a noticeable difference? I want the best picture quality possible, but I don't want to spend money on something that isn't going to make that much of a difference.

Do any of you guys have experience with Pro-Scan players? Is it a big improvement over interlaced?

• goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited March 2002
    i got my tv in feb but havent hat the time to pick out a good p-scan dvd player i saw this one i might get but it is like 450 it is Philips DVD Q50
    this is a link to a page on p-scan dvd players and at the botom of the page they have a dvd round up http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_4/dvd-benchmark-part-5-progressive-10-2000.html
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited March 2002
    i got my tv in feb but havent hat the time to pick out a good p-scan dvd player i saw this one i might get but it is like 450 it is Philips DVD Q50
    this is a link to a page on p-scan dvd players and at the botom of the page they have a dvd round up http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_4/dvd-benchmark-part-5-progressive-10-2000.html
  • Eddie624
    Eddie624 Posts: 77
    edited March 2002
    I went to sams today and that tv was still 2499. And component video will look a lot better then using s video. Ahh u got it open box so must of been a floor model or something. Wish i could get that deal on a tv like that. I have been looking to get a new tv and get rid of this old 54" magnovox. Just wish i could get a hdtv that will still work when they decide on a connection method for the cable and satellite.