Itunes AIFF files and the cloud.

RamZet
RamZet Posts: 792
edited May 2013 in Going Digital
On itunes on a Macbook Pro you can right click a song and create the AIFF version of the song. This will make the song go from 256kbps to 1411kbps. It uncompresses the song. However it will keep the normal mp3 and the AIFF file. How do I filter out the orignal download?

I deleted the song (move files to trash but keeping the Cloud based version).
This is what I get.
Screen Shot 2013-04-06 at 10.31.04 AM.png

I get the AIFF copy and the Cloud version. When playing the album it will not skip the cloud version. Why not?
how do I just filter it out to play the copy thats installed on the computer and not the cloud.

I dont want to turn the cloud off, the cloud is awesome. ipads,iphones,itouch,dell,macbook, and PC are all in sync.

Thanks for the help in advance.
B&W CM9Classé Sigma
Post edited by RamZet on

Comments

• RamZet
    edited April 2013
    If I select Yes to delete the cloud version will I lose it from my collection or will itune Match keep it safe?
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • RamZet
    edited April 2013
    I figured this one out.
    You simply delete your cloud based file from the library. The music is saved under "purchased".
    So you can clean up the album so you dont get doubles and not lose the music.

BUT

It will just come back later with that little cloud. It will play the same song twice ( the local and streamed version) because of itunes match.

New iTunes is awful. Wished I never updated it.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • Beta
    Beta Posts: 267
    edited May 2013
    If a song held in one's iTunes library is an MP3 file and one uses iTunes software to convert it to an Apple Lossless file, isn't one only simply creating a bigger file containing the exact same pieces of the song that were in the original MP3 file (i.e. no improvement in sound quality)?

Forgive me for my lack of understanding of this matter, but this aspect of iTunes is not clear to me. Thanks in advance if anyone can shed some light on this subject for me.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited May 2013
    Beta wrote: »
    If a song held in one's iTunes library is an MP3 file and one uses iTunes software to convert it to an Apple Lossless file, isn't one only simply creating a bigger file containing the exact same pieces of the song that were in the original MP3 file (i.e. no improvement in sound quality)?

MP3 is a form of compression that removes data from the original file. That is why MP3 music sounds terrible. This is known as lossy compression. Apple Lossless is a form of compression that retains all the data of the original file.

It really makes no sense to use Apple Lossless on an MP3 file. The MP3 is already compressed, and Apple Lossless will probably not make it any smaller, and it certainly will not add data to the MP3.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited May 2013
    Fox is correct. When ripping music to your computer, always always always rip a lossless file. MP3 to an audiophile is what ding-dongs are to a food critic.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited May 2013
    tonyb wrote: »
    . . . When ripping music to your computer, always always always rip a lossless file. MP3 to an audiophile is what ding-dongs are to a food critic.

That's signature material :lol:
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • Beta
    edited May 2013
    Appreciate the replies to my post. I apologize if my question was poorly articulated. I understand what an MP3 file is. I always rip music from CDs into my iTunes library using the Apple Lossless format. Buying music from the iTunes store is what I am trying to better understand.

Can one purchase music from the iTunes store in an Apple Lossless format? I think the answer is no? Also, if one happens to have an MP3 file (say a song purchased from the iTunes store) in their library, does the iTunes feature that supposedly allows one to convert a file/song (say the MP3 mentioned above) into an Apple Lossless file/song actually allow one to truly accomplish that feat? I think the answer to this question is no as well? Thanks!
  • BlueFox
    edited May 2013
    Beta wrote: »
    Can one purchase music from the iTunes store in an Apple Lossless format? I think the answer is no? Also, if one happens to have an MP3 file (say a song purchased from the iTunes store) in their library, does the iTunes feature that supposedly allows one to convert a file/song (say the MP3 mentioned above) into an Apple Lossless file/song actually allow one to truly accomplish that feat? I think the answer to this question is no as well? Thanks!

Correct on both answers. No

Once a file is destroyed by creating an MP3 it cannot be restored in any manner. Unless Apple has recently changed you cannot buy Apple Lossless files, only MP3 files.

Go to HD Tracks and buy both lossless and high resolution files.

https://www.hdtracks.com/

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Beta
    edited May 2013
    Thank you BlueFox. I appreciate your clarification of these questions for me.
  • RamZet
    edited May 2013
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Correct on both answers. No

Once a file is destroyed by creating an MP3 it cannot be restored in any manner. Unless Apple has recently changed you cannot buy Apple Lossless files, only MP3 files.

Go to HD Tracks and buy both lossless and high resolution files.

https://www.hdtracks.com/

I started to use HDtracks. I have been replacing my itunes with CDs from amazon and best buy if I cant get it on HDtracks.

Thanks for the help everyone.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • RamZet
    edited May 2013
    What I don't get is why can you convert the mp3 into a AIFF if it doesn't actually increase the audio quality?
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • BlueFox
    edited May 2013
    RamZet wrote: »
    What I don't get is why can you convert the mp3 into a AIFF if it doesn't actually increase the audio quality?

Because you can. :smile:

There is no technical reason why a file cannot be stored in different formats. It will still contain the same data. Think of a text document. One format is courier 12 point font, another is the same but all bold, another is italics, another is Times Roman. There all have the same information, just stored differently. Granted, that isn't a perfect analogy, but its close enough.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • RamZet
    edited May 2013
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Because you can. :smile:

There is no technical reason why a file cannot be stored in different formats. It will still contain the same data. Think of a text document. One format is courier 12 point font, another is the same but all bold, another is italics, another is Times Roman. There all have the same information, just stored differently. Granted, that isn't a perfect analogy, but its close enough.

well this entire dive I took into digital music has been eye opening. I have always known that itunes was trash but I did not know I could get better audio quality then a CD. The Flac stuff is very cool. 20 bucks for an album isnt cool. I didnt think my speakers could ever sound better then they did, now they do.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • tonyb
    edited May 2013
    Wait until you discover tubes in your system.

Congrats on getting some digital under your belt
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pretorios
    pretorios Posts: 39
    edited May 2013
    RamZet wrote: »
    well this entire dive I took into digital music has been eye opening. I have always known that itunes was trash but I did not know I could get better audio quality then a CD. The Flac stuff is very cool. 20 bucks for an album isnt cool. I didnt think my speakers could ever sound better then they did, now they do.

The difference between MP3's and 16/44 FLAC files ripped from CD is astounding. That said, however, I haven't noticed a dramatic difference between 16/44 FLAC and 24/96 FLAC. Then again, maybe it depends on the source material HDTracks gets from the record company. I've only listened to one 24/96 record, though, so maybe it's more pronounced with others.
  • RamZet
    edited May 2013
    pretorios wrote: »
    The difference between MP3's and 16/44 FLAC files ripped from CD is astounding. That said, however, I haven't noticed a dramatic difference between 16/44 FLAC and 24/96 FLAC. Then again, maybe it depends on the source material HDTracks gets from the record company. I've only listened to one 24/96 record, though, so maybe it's more pronounced with others.

Try Speaking In Tongues by the Talking Heads.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • tonyb
    edited May 2013
    pretorios wrote: »

Certainly the quality of the recording itself dictates the outcome, no matter the file. 24/96 is the latest audio buzz word imho to charge more for a cd quality recording. A well recorded 16/44 cd/flac file can sound every bit as good as some supposedly higher rez files. Not always the case though. I've heard some outstanding 24/96 files, but they seem to be far and few between in my opinion anyway.

For me personally, I'm not shelling out the coinage for a HD song/album period. Reason is there just isn't that good of newer music out there let alone a quality recording. Most of what you'll get is older music rehashed to 24/96. We have a few threads on that too. Seems to be a lot of the higher rez files were just remixed to make them hotter. If you can find recordings in a high rez format done from the master tapes, that may be the ticket. Unfortunately, you can't be sure what it is your actually buying these days and that may well be done on purpose. In the end, marketing and the all mighty dollar rule the day.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited May 2013
    Sure you can, just do your research before ever buying anything from HDTracks. Some of their stuff is really good, some of it isn't. It's silly to dismiss a whole format or or category of music because some of it is bad, if that were the case then I'd never buy any music on any format ever because there's always garbage out there.

It's like anything else, you gotta do your research beforehand. When I'm looking at something on HDTracks I always look around online and check out reviews first, because about half of it really is just upsampled CD mix and sounds no better.

Now if you're avoiding HDTracks on principle alone because they knowingly sell garbage then I can understand that...