Help

Options
Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited June 2004 in Car Subwoofer Talk
Can you please explain to me what to look for in a good high quality SPL sub?
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited June 2004
    Options
    big magnet on the back, large xmax, sturdy cone and surround, large like a 12 or 15, high rms power handling, low f3

thats all i can really think of right now cuz its 12:30 and im **** tired....if anyoen wants to add to the list or tell me im wrong then thats fine with me, im too tired to argue
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2004
    Options
    For pure SPL, cant beat a Kicker L7! They can take a tremendous amount of wattage and have a warehouse of output.

If anyone can beat a L7 it would be an Orion H2! These things will punch a hole in your chest (and wallet) and have won many DB Drags.

Diamond Audio also makes some powerhouse subs.

There are others but these are some of my favorite SPL subs.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2004
    Options
    its kind of hard to tell just from specs what are good SPL subs
    i mean the cerwin vega stroker has like 14mm of x-max but is one of the greatest spl subs ever built
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited June 2004
    Options
    mmm.. C.V Strokers...
    Last time I saw those a guy ran 4 15" Strokers in a wall in a conversion van. I believe he hit over 170, but there was't really a category to put it in lol.
    -Jerry

Oh, I forgot... he actually SAT in the van during the tones !!!.. literally cupped his hands over his ears and pushed his remote button. It was raining outside, and every tone shot the entire layer of water off the top of the van.

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    Options
    thats kind of hard to believe that he sat in his vehicle, id have to see it to believe it...
    being that loud can actually kill you...
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    Options
    by the way, love your signature:cool:
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Yeah it can actually stop your heart!

You youngsters will get tired of the mega watt systems eventually and before you know it youll be listening to oldies (which would be 80s hair bands to me) at a nice leisurly 600 total watts! :D
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited June 2004
    Options
    MacLeod: lol funny you say that "you youngsters..." the guy I was talking about was about 40's... the love never really dies, it's really a hobby. I have always enjoyed balanced listening, and just crank it for the fun of it sometimes.
    Cody: yeah, all of us couldn't believe it either, and we tried to tell him not too... but he didn't die :-) He was know to be a bit on the bizarre side...
    also, thanks for noticing the sig, it's really how I feel about it.
    -Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.