Tubey goodness!

Options
trav0810
trav0810 Posts: 1,056
edited May 2013 in 2 Channel Audio
I really should take some time off from buying new gear and finish up the garage remodel so that I can actually set it all up right! However, I couldn't pass up the chance to own this beauty! It's a Pilot 505 amp, 38WPC and smooth as silk! This is the second Tube amp I have owned. The first was a 16WPC RCA rebuild. And while it had a beautiful sound, it kept me wanting for MORE POWER. This baby has it all. It ROCKS the vintage Klipsch Heresy's that I have hooked up to it and doesn't lose a bit of its soothing warmth as you crank it up. It has a much better, more defined bass than a lot of the tubes I have heard. So far, I have only listened to it with the Heresy's, but the Monitor 5's, Monitor 12's and SDA's will all get their turn.

This is a temporary set-up on the bench in my garage. I guess some speaker stands are next on the agenda.

IMG_1578.JPG

IMG_1576.JPG
The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Sony Playstation 3 for CD and Streaming
Thorens TD320
Modified Carver C-1
Carver TFM 42 and 45 Amplifiers
Polk RTA15TL Speakers w/Decato mods
White Lightning Moonshine DIY Speaker Cables and Interconnects
Post edited by trav0810 on

Comments

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited May 2013
    Options
    That's a pretty nice 'garage' setup in my book.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • trav0810
    edited May 2013
    Options
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    That's a pretty nice 'garage' setup in my book.

Well, the 'garage' is the only place I can really set any of it up. I just need to get it finished so that I have my gear all set up properly. This is my "main" system, although the new Tube is certainly making an argument to move into that position! Not a great pic, the sun was coming in though the window.
    IMG_1580.jpg
    The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,042
    edited May 2013
    Options
    What are the outputs on that Pilot? 7189? If so, you're talkin' more like 17 or 18 watts continuous per channel. Maybe inching up towards 20 if the plate voltage is set just below the level for nuclear fusion.
  • trav0810
    edited May 2013
    Options
    The outputs tubes are EL84's. The RCS that I had before this was 13-16WPC and these two amps are not even in the same universe.

Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,531
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Nice Flexy rack Travis!

Will have to come for a visit someday with my little hi-fi computer system now that its all done.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited May 2013
    Options
  • mhardy6647
    edited May 2013
    Options
    EL84s you are talkin' 12 to 14 wpc continuous - that 38 watts is a red herring (or a stereo figure; ie both channels summed). The 7189 is essentially a super-EL84 that can take higher voltage differentials and put out a little more power than EL84s.

Not a huge deal and the Heresys don't need much power at all... but I thought it was worth mentioning.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,472
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Nice set up....i would love to have a tube amp. Maybe someday..ENJOY
    Randy/Maine
  • trav0810
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I'll take your word for it. My technical knowledge is minimal at best! But I know this one has as much power as I need and I am a power ****! lol The first tube amp I had, I could open all the way up and still wish there was more. I have never even gotten the volume to 12 o'clock on my pre with this amp. At 10 o'clock the Heresy's sound like they have all that they can handle.
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    EL84s you are talkin' 12 to 14 wpc continuous - that 38 watts is a red herring (or a stereo figure; ie both channels summed). The 7189 is essentially a super-EL84 that can take higher voltage differentials and put out a little more power than EL84s.

Not a huge deal and the Heresys don't need much power at all... but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
  • rromeo923
    rromeo923 Posts: 1,513
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Nice set up!!
    I got static in my head
    The reflected sound of everything
  • Beta
    Beta Posts: 267
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Doesn't take much to drive that pair of Heresy. That amp is plenty sufficient IMHO. Maybe add a small sub into the mix to make up for the Heresy's slight challenge in the lower end and I am guessing you might be even more pleased with that rig. Looks great. Enjoy!
  • mhardy6647
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Agreed. The best solution for the paucity of LF (in my hardly humble opinion and FWIW) of the Heresy, if one likes the Klipsch "tone", is a pair of Cornwalls :-)

EDIT: Sometimes the issue isn't power, it's gain. The power amp needs to have enough input signal (voltage) to drive it properly - some sources/preamps aren't up to the task for a given amp. Impedance matching can be another challenge, especially for vacuum tube hardware. A pair of Heresys is sensitive enough to be driven to lease-breaking levels with less than 5 wpc.

I used 3.5 wpc (single-ended 2A3) with my Cornies and they were thunderous. The Heresys are virtually as sensitive as the Cornies; they just have essentially no LF due to the very small unvented ("infinite baffle") enclosure.
  • trav0810
    edited May 2013
    Options
    My end goal for this amp is a set of La Scalas. With the design and sensitivity of those monsters I can only imagine what they would sound like.

Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
  • Beta
    edited May 2013
    Options
    trav0810 wrote: »
    My end goal for this amp is a set of La Scalas. With the design and sensitivity of those monsters I can only imagine what they would sound like.

Not trying to travel too deep into the hole or get too complicated, but there is a rather significant school of thought out there that the LF in the La Scala can be a bit challenged as well. Hence, the development of the Cornscala. LF of the Cornwall and the HF of the La Scala. See link below if interested. No affiliation.

http://www.critesspeakers.com/cornscala.html
  • mhardy6647
    edited May 2013
    Options
    The horn-loaded LF of the LaScala has a nice character to it - but the folded horn is way small and so quantitatively there's not much extension there at all, giving the LaScala (as Col. Klipsch sold it) a singularly aggressive demeanor. Tom Brennan has colorfully described the LaScala's presentation as akin to listening to a Sawzall.

The Cornwall - again, as Klipsch designed, built, and sold 'em - is a better balanced speaker (it's all relative!) and has fairly substantial and fairly extended if somewhat "soft" (by modern standards) bass.

Rcornieoly.jpg

If you want it all, and a Klipsch badge, go for a pair of K-Horns. The Col. himself prudently noted that you cannot miniaturize the wavelength of a 16 Hz tone (albeit begging the question of why Klipsch eventually marketed the Heresy as a full-range speaker rather than just a center channel to fill in the "hole in the middle" in the early days of stereo).

There is a cottage industry of "improvements" and "modifications" for the heritage Klipsch speakers that leaves little of the original but the box represented in the final product. Arguably, in the case of the folded horn enclosures, the boxes were the best part of the Klipsch speakers. The Cornie's somewhat flimsy plywood vented box, on the other hand, could benefit from some bracing and damping (there are vent re-designs for it, too).

If you're familiar with the old folk tale known as "Nail Broth" or "Stone Soup", you'll understand the Klipsch Heritage situation pretty well (IMO) :-)
  • Beta
    edited May 2013
    Options
    ^well said sir. I particularly appreciated your last sentence. I own two pair of the most recent iterations of Klipsch speakers. Heritage and Reference. Very challenging to get just right in my experience. Even with tubes in both an amp and preamp.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I lived with a pair of La Scala and Cornwall at the same time for many years. My vote would go towards the La Scala.
    The horn loaded bass is amazing. Very fast, dynamic, effortless and BIG sounding.
    But if you crave bass, I doubt you'll be satisfied with the LS. If I had to guess, their low end extension is probably the same as the Polk LSi9. Won't do very deep bass, but what's there is in great abundance. I listened to them with and without a sub. I can enjoy them both ways. Same goes for amplification. They sound great with both tubes and SS.
    The Cornscala does look interesting. Never heard them so can't comment on that. But for the tweeters, I actually prefer the Klipsch K-77 over Crites CT-125. Many people will tell you the Crites are direct replacement but they're not. They're 3db less efficient. The difference was clear and I switched back to the originals. The tone is quite different as well.