Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 Addition

Thorton
Thorton Posts: 1,324
edited May 2013 in Going Digital
Well, I'm a little late to the game but I picked up a nicely used W4S DAC-2. I chose this DAC based on the reviews and all the write-ups from Polk members. Also, I decided not to purchase an entry level DAC ($200-400) hoping for a significant improvement over my Sonos player. I could not be more happy with the purchase. It was very easy to do A/B comparisons against the Sonos via input selection with level adjustment. Immediately, I could identify the DAC-2 being very detailed and dynamic over the Sonos. The bass is very tight and fast. The highs and mids are smooth, cleaner with more detail. I would say this DAC just sounded more musical and this was noticed with every song that I've played so far. I use to enjoy the quality coming from the Sonos. But after listening to this DAC for an extended period and then returning to the Sonos alone, I could not live without this DAC in my set-up. It will be around for a long time. This is my first external dedicated DAC so I have not compared it to anything else but I would say that this has been one of the best improvements (so far) that I've made to my system in terms of SQ.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
DAC: Bricasti M1SE
Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
Post edited by Thorton on

Comments

• dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited May 2013
    Thanks...that's the one remaining DAC in my price range that I'd like to audition.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited May 2013
    Don't you just love new equipment that upgrades your system?
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    edited May 2013
    zane77 wrote: »
    Don't you just love new equipment that upgrades your system?

Yep. When you hook up something and it immediately puts a smile on your face is an awesome feeling.

I forgot in the original post. Thanks to all Polk members on feedback and reviews on this unit. It made my decision and satisfaction that much easier.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited May 2013
    Congrats man, sweet dac no doubt.

comparing the 2 though is apples and oranges. A 1500 dac better sound better than the cheap dac in a 350 buck music streamer. That's why we always recommend a separate dac for music streamers.....at least the cheaper ones anyway. Their ok for a casual listening on their own but a separate dac elevates them to a good cdp status.

Again, congrats man, you made a wise choice.:biggrin:
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    edited May 2013
    As it burns in, it will sound even better!
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.