Shipping speakers, help needed

Options
HTguru1982
HTguru1982 Posts: 1,066
edited April 2013 in The Clubhouse
I am shipping a pair of speakers to a fellow Polkie and was wondering if my packing job is sufficient. If not, what should I do differently? I am using packing foam that is used for laptop computers but not sure if it's strong enough for speakers. Here are pics:
Display: Sony 42" LCD
Sources: Harman Kardon DVD-27,
Panasonic DMP-BDT110 blu ray player
AVR: Sony STR-DA2400ES
Amps: Sonance Sonamp 260(fronts),
Kenwood KM-894(surrounds)
Fronts: NHT 2.5
Center: NHT VS-1.2A
Surrounds: NHT Super One
Subwoofer: SVS PB10-ISD
Post edited by HTguru1982 on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    edited April 2013
    Options
    That isn't going to work, the foam is too soft. Go to Home Depot or Lowe's and buy the pink or blue hard foam sheet insulation. It comes in 1/2", 3/4" and 1" thickness. You want to have at least 2" of it top, bottom and all sides. Two inches is the minimum requirement of UPS and FedEx. Part of the idea is to not allow the item to move at all and the 2" of foam will help prevent damage from being dropped. I use it all the time and I've never had an item get damaged. I should mention the foam isn't cheap, so you have to figure that into the shipping cost.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• snow
    snow Posts: 4,329
    edited April 2013
    Options
    HTguru1982 wrote: »
    I am shipping a pair of speakers to a fellow Polkie and was wondering if my packing job is sufficient. If not, what should I do differently? I am using packing foam that is used for laptop computers but not sure if it's strong enough for speakers. Here are pics:
    Not sure how heavy they are but I like to use R-Tek hard foam insulation found at any Home Depot Lowes or local lumber store for items 20 lbs and up. Here are some pics of a amp I just packed earlier using 2" foam sheets.

here are some pics of the packing process first a bunch of bubble wrap layed in the bottom of the first box 20 x 12 x 20 then the amp itself bubble wrapped then extra bubble wrap on all sides top and bottom to fill it up then a 2 inch foam sheet cut to fit in the bottom of the 2nd box 25 x 16 x 25 then the sides with 2 inch foam sheets weight is now 65 lbs total cost of packing supplies $50.00..... $20.00 for a large roll of bubble wrap $16.00 for a sheet of 2 inch foam $5.00 for a 20 x 12 x 20 box $8.95 for a box 24 x 20 x 24 cut to size and tape is pretty much free

1/1/2 sheets are around $12.00 for a 2 foot X 8 foot sheet and 1" sheets are around $10.00 the same size

DSC04527.jpg
    DSC04528.jpg
    DSC04530.jpg
    DSC04531.jpg
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • HTguru1982
    HTguru1982 Posts: 1,066
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I had a feeling it wouldn't work. Thanks for the info. Looks like I'm making a trip to Home Depot.
    Display: Sony 42" LCD
    Sources: Harman Kardon DVD-27,
    Panasonic DMP-BDT110 blu ray player
    AVR: Sony STR-DA2400ES
    Amps: Sonance Sonamp 260(fronts),
    Kenwood KM-894(surrounds)
    Fronts: NHT 2.5
    Center: NHT VS-1.2A
    Surrounds: NHT Super One
    Subwoofer: SVS PB10-ISD
  • Tbone289
    Tbone289 Posts: 661
    edited April 2013
    Options
    If you don't double-box them, you should consider at least putting a stiff piece of cardboard against the grilles so that the bubble wrap can't press the grilles in against the drivers.
    2.1: PC>Schiit Gungnir MB>Schiit Freya Noval>NAD C-270>Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1, HSU STF-2 5.1: HDMI Bitstream>Denon AVR-1910>polkaudio RTE55, CS350-LS, RT3, HSU STF-2, Visio M55-F0
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Trust this - it works 100%. I know.
    F1nut wrote: »
    That isn't going to work, the foam is too soft. Go to Home Depot or Lowe's and buy the pink or blue hard foam sheet insulation. It comes in 1/2", 3/4" and 1" thickness. You want to have at least 2" of it top, bottom and all sides. Two inches is the minimum requirement of UPS and FedEx. Part of the idea is to not allow the item to move at all and the 2" of foam will help prevent damage from being dropped. I use it all the time and I've never had an item get damaged. I should mention the foam isn't cheap, so you have to figure that into the shipping cost.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited April 2013
    Options
    As the person buying these speakers, thanks for the attention to detail! Hope I gave you enough for the shipping so you aren't out of pocket! :biggrin:
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen