One song and your system...

Options
2»

Comments

• adb3da
    adb3da Posts: 506
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Great question and not easy to answer. At the moment, I'd say Lonesome Tears by Beck on the album Sea Change. There's a little of everything in that track. Great vocals, deep bass notes, string instruments, synth etc...
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Non SACD..."Walls" from "She's The One" soundtrack. Tom Petty

SACD..."Breathe" "Dark Side of the Moon" Pink Floyd
  • fjross
    fjross Posts: 183
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Artist -Peter Gabriel
    Album- Up
    Song- Growing Up

Besides the sda effect infront of me, I actually hear parts of this behind me as well. The one thing that I notice is that mt sda effect is a bit off balance do to my room lay out. One speaker is about 6 ft from a side wall and the other is the minium 3. The sda effect is greater on the 6 ft wall. There is nothing I can do because of door and window layout.
    Mcintosh MC-501 mono blocks
    Mcintosh C-45
    Mcintosh MVP-871
    PS AUDIO AV5000
    MIT 3.3 Shotgun biwire speaker interface
    MIT 3.3 Shotgun XLR interconnects
    Polk 2.3TL's Gimpod boards/F-1 modded crossovers/dynamat/JB weld/Larry's rings/Blackhole 5 strips
    Polk 3.1 TL's mint/stock (purchased new)
    Polk SDA-2's
  • seabeerob213
    seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Oasis-"Wonderwall"- End Sessions, volume four, awesome live version of this song, it absolutely shines on my little system, sorry, I know hard to obtain was talked about but I had to say it. Buy the cd on amazon, you won't regret if you like good alternative, including audioslave, tenacious d, kaiser chiefs, queens of the stone age, the strokes, and more, all live/live-acoustic.
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Oh man it would have to be a toss-up between Miles Davis Freddie Freeloader off of the newly remastered Columbia realease and Gordon Lightfoot's Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald on CD.

On SACD I'd have to go with Rimsky-Korsakov's Sherezade conducted by Fritz Reiner.

On vinyl I'd have to go Pink Floyd Welcome to the Machine and Dexter Gordon's Love for Sale.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Donald Fagen-Nightfly - "Ruby Baby" The imaging is off the charts; blows people away on my system.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    edited March 2013
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Donald Fagen-Nightfly - "Ruby Baby" The imaging is off the charts; blows people away on my system.

That was my 2nd choice. But Kamakiriad is still my fav. That whole CD is friggin' great! My wife sometimes asks if I get tired of listening to that CD though. lol
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    edited March 2013
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Thanks, RamZet. I went ahead and ordered the one album you referenced. Looking forward to checking it out.

Tom

Sampled it on iTunes?
    You're going to like it. I heard it on a pair of CM8s and that's when I knew it was time to move up from my monitor 70s.

Another good test song is "St James Infermry" by Hugh Laurie on his album "Let Them Talk" (bonus track version). The piano entry has most speakers distorting at the high points. I haven't listen to the entire album yet so I can't say it's worth buying, maybe just that song from iTunes.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    edited March 2013
    Options
    RamZet wrote: »
    Artist: "Youngblood Brass Band"
    Album: "Center: level: Roar"
    Song: "Brooklyn"

Why?
    Its a brass band. Try to play a brass band on normal speakers and you will be met with distortion, fatigued ears, and just noise.
    B&W speakers have awesome control and precision over highs and mids, bass is excellent too. I would think if your system can handle this song/band at a high volume then you got your moneys worth. The recording of the album is nuts. These guys went out of there way to make a quality recording.

Thanks for that rec RamZet. This band was new to me and I love what I've heard so far. Good song choice for demo too.

Craig
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Patricia Barber's "Too Rich For My Blood".

Thanks for posting that question. I relistened to some great music looking for the answer.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • SDA1C
    SDA1C Posts: 2,069
    edited March 2013
    Options
    The Cult "She sells sanctuary" It just keeps getting louder until I run myself out of the room LOL. Sounds pretty good in the neighbors house though.
    Too much **** to list....
  • cc43fan
    cc43fan Posts: 22
    edited March 2013
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    If you were to have one song....only one song to show off the capabilities of your system, what would that song be?

I'm not looking for reference songs or perhaps your favorite song. Nothing that brings you back to the time when you were a teenager all smitten on the hot brunette that just so happened to be your age at the time that just moved in down the street. I'm not interested in your top shelf, "go to" recordings or something you own that is so rare and unobtainable that you feel it worthy to add to the thread and I'm not looking for a song that has been beaten to absolute death at audio shows worldwide.

I'm looking for that one song that if you had a chance to win 10 Million Dollars to provide the best your rig could do to show its performance capabilities, what would that one song be?

Then, if you care to elaborate on it, why? What about that song makes your rig shine or made you choose that song out of everything else out there?

Tom

I'm not sure I could come up with only one song.
  • playback
    playback Posts: 101
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Channel Classics's Ivan Fishers Mahler symphony no 2. sacd 5.1

And its completely over for who's ever's ears are exposed to its unprecedented, unrestricted, gut wrenching ,sheer unadulterated Fidelity !
  • mgforshort
    mgforshort Posts: 14
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Leonard Cohen's "In my secret life"
    Sounds good on a clock radio
    But.. on our Polk Srs 3.1 Tl's it sounds fantastic
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited April 2013
    Options
  • Goldenboy72206
    Goldenboy72206 Posts: 126
    edited April 2013
    Options
    i love to play movies and i always use transformers
  • plainoledave
    plainoledave Posts: 408
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Buckethead - The Fairy and the Devil.
  • tonyr1
    tonyr1 Posts: 103
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Today it's Supertramp...Crime of the century
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Perhaps, a strange suggestion: Tomas Luis Victoria's "Missa Vidi Speciosam," Choir of the Westminster Cathedral, David Hill, Conductor (Hyperion Records Limited: March, 1984).

Two reasons:

1) If I could have only one piece of music, it would probably be the end of the world I was facing, so something on the sacred side sounds like a good, prudent choice!

2) More pertinently, the combination of vocals and organ music in the setting of this recording allows an accurate, powerful system to show off its stuff!

When I'm trying to hear what my system can do with a really challenging, glorious piece of music, I put this in the CD player.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• SDA1C
    SDA1C Posts: 2,069
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I'm going to go with Megadeth-Trust. I always come back to the goodies. Besides, I literally blew the windows out of my downstairs listening room. $1700 later I was back in business, and the wife had pretty new windows. The lord works in mysterious ways LOL.
    Too much **** to list....
  • hosedagain
    hosedagain Posts: 116
    edited April 2013
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    Dark Side of the Moon side 1. Isnt that one long song? LOL :twisted:

My Pick is Ann Murray's, Snowbird, Album ? Ops meant to say Pink Floyd, Money and of course the whole album as mentioned is one long song.
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited April 2013
    Options
    So many choices - and it changes for me.

But right now,

"Daughters of the Sea" - Doobie Bros - What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits (MF SACD)

Wow - clarity, separation, depth, and - it is just a great song!

In my top 10 of demo songs..

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    edited April 2013
    Options
    The theme song to "Pee Wee's Playhouse"
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited April 2013
    Options
    BTO's "Looking out for #1" on vinyl. I turn this one up loud on occasion and it sounds awfully close to the real thing. The bass drum is deep, concussive and rich, while the cymbals ring true and recede with natural decay. The guitars sound like what guitars sound like in my room, when I plug one in.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ByTFb_lAiL4?feature=player_detailpage&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ByTFb_lAiL4

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030