Options
NJPOLKER
NJPOLKER Posts: 3,474
edited April 2013 in 2 Channel Audio
DSC00031.jpg
DSC00030.jpg
DSC00029.jpg
DSC00033.jpg

My picture taking skill are far better than when I started here.

Here is the Marantz 2238B I purchased off Craigs List last Sunday. I was on this site and read something that triggered me to look at Craigs which I never really do. But for some reason I did and could not be more happy. I bought this and a Harmon Kardon receiver HK3250 with remote for $125.00 For both :mrgreen:
I have a little more detailing to do on the Marantz but didn't want to wait to show some pictures and share my thoughts on it. Everything on the 2238B works fine. All lights work as you can see in the one picture. I had to take it into the back of the house where we have a spare bathroom which is kind of dark and I have yet to remodel.

I am not sure what I'll do with the HK but will have fun with the Marantz.

So here is what I have done. I did a basic clean up of the 2238B then cut the bananas off a pair of AQ type 4's on the amp end and tinned the wires, I think that's what you call what I did :redface: soldered the ends a little bit.
Proceeded to hook it up to my Musical Fidelity A5 cdp with a pair of DH Labs silver sonic IC's and my Sonus Faber Grand Piano Domus speakers. Kind of funny a receiver costing me about $65.00 hooked up to equipment costing thousands.
My stereo room is about 15'X12' with a typical 8' ceiling and carpet wall to wall. One of these days I gotta work on room treatments. The fellow I bought it from had used it on a regular basis till I bought it and he bought it at a estate sale about two years ago.
I listened to Steely Dan Chris Bodie Fleetwood Mac Elton John and miscellaneous others. For a receiver with the spec's it has it has some balls. That said I have been listening to my Belles 350a amp and Anthem pre2L pre-amp for a long time now and it can't compare. The highs were smooth and has a nice tube like sound not brittle at all. I was surprised. The midrange was neutral which is a good thing in my opinion. The bass was really good but a little bit boomy. Again, I have been listening to the belles 350a which it a high high current amp 250 watts per channel and a dampening factor of 2,000 if I remember correctly. Driving the SF's is not easy and the 2238B ran out of power quickly. However when listening at reasonable levels it sounds rich, warm and the clarity was damn good far better than newer receivers I have heard. I am sure the MF A5 cdp helps too :smile:
Hopefully this week I will pick up a pair of PSB Alpha T towers I let a friend borrow a year ago. My thought is to hook up the 2238B and the Arcam CD72 that's been sitting in my closet. I bet the PSB's will be much easier to drive than the SF's.
I may replace the power cord on the 2238 since it's more like a extension cord than a cable.

What a great find and as usual it was due to the great folks here at Club Polk.
Post edited by NJPOLKER on

Comments

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,648
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Nice grab. I've got a 2252B in my office rig. Bought it new in the late 70's. Enjoy!!
  • Bob in WI
    Bob in WI Posts: 155
    edited April 2013
    Options
    You've got that Marantz playing with some pretty elite friends, its probably not used to running with that crowd. I'd be interested to hear what you think of the Marantz vs the HK.
  • jumpindick
    jumpindick Posts: 428
    edited April 2013
    Options
    nice one. I old gears indeed are appealing.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited April 2013
    Options
    NJPOLKER wrote: »
    DSC00031.jpg
    DSC00030.jpg
    DSC00029.jpg
    DSC00033.jpg

My picture taking skill are far better than when I started here.

Here is the Marantz 2238B I purchased off Craigs List last Sunday. I was on this site and read something that triggered me to look at Craigs which I never really do. But for some reason I did and could not be more happy. I bought this and a Harmon Kardon receiver HK3250 with remote for $125.00 For both :mrgreen:
    I have a little more detailing to do on the Marantz but didn't want to wait to show some pictures and share my thoughts on it. Everything on the 2238B works fine. All lights work as you can see in the one picture. I had to take it into the back of the house where we have a spare bathroom which is kind of dark and I have yet to remodel.

I am not sure what I'll do with the HK but will have fun with the Marantz.

So here is what I have done. I did a basic clean up of the 2238B then cut the bananas off a pair of AQ type 4's on the amp end and tinned the wires, I think that's what you call what I did :redface: soldered the ends a little bit.
    Proceeded to hook it up to my Musical Fidelity A5 cdp with a pair of DH Labs silver sonic IC's and my Sonus Faber Grand Piano Domus speakers. Kind of funny a receiver costing me about $65.00 hooked up to equipment costing thousands.
    My stereo room is about 15'X12' with a typical 8' ceiling and carpet wall to wall. One of these days I gotta work on room treatments. The fellow I bought it from had used it on a regular basis till I bought it and he bought it at a estate sale about two years ago.
    I listened to Steely Dan Chris Bodie Fleetwood Mac Elton John and miscellaneous others. For a receiver with the spec's it has it has some balls. That said I have been listening to my Belles 350a amp and Anthem pre2L pre-amp for a long time now and it can't compare. The highs were smooth and has a nice tube like sound not brittle at all. I was surprised. The midrange was neutral which is a good thing in my opinion. The bass was really good but a little bit boomy. Again, I have been listening to the belles 350a which it a high high current amp 250 watts per channel and a dampening factor of 2,000 if I remember correctly. Driving the SF's is not easy and the 2238B ran out of power quickly. However when listening at reasonable levels it sounds rich, warm and the clarity was damn good far better than newer receivers I have heard. I am sure the MF A5 cdp helps too :smile:
    Hopefully this week I will pick up a pair of PSB Alpha T towers I let a friend borrow a year ago. My thought is to hook up the 2238B and the Arcam CD72 that's been sitting in my closet. I bet the PSB's will be much easier to drive than the SF's.
    I may replace the power cord on the 2238 since it's more like a extension cord than a cable.

What a great find and as usual it was due to the great folks here at Club Polk.

Good idea. Those old units pack a punch but they don't have "unlimited" power reserves. If you have some classic Polk Monitors? Marantz "loves" them! I was really surprised when I put my Monitor 10As on my Marantz 2265 (a bit more power there and 12+ pounds heavier than the HK 3490?). Great "synergy"; and you're right, even something like a modern HK 120 watt x 2 receiver cannot hang with some of these older units! Look at the "build" quality alone?

I've also, recently found, that my Marantz has NO problem driving 250 ohm Beyerdynamics to rather impressive dynamic levels. So I'm guessing there's a pretty good H-phone section in these?

Have fun!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,648
    edited April 2013
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    Good idea. Those old units pack a punch but they don't have "unlimited" power reserves. If you have some classic Polk Monitors? Marantz "loves" them! I was really surprised when I put my Monitor 10As on my Marantz 2265 (a bit more power there and 12+ pounds heavier than the HK 3490?). Great "synergy"; and you're right, even something like a modern HK 120 watt x 2 receiver cannot hang with some of these older units! Look at the "build" quality alone?

I've also, recently found, that my Marantz has NO problem driving 250 ohm Beyerdynamics to rather impressive dynamic levels. So I'm guessing there's a pretty good H-phone section in these?

Have fun!

cnh

Couldn't agree more. Running RTA8T's with mine and couldn't be happier. The warmth of the Marantz sound even makes the SL2000's tolerable.
  • NJPOLKER
    NJPOLKER Posts: 3,474
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Bob in WI wrote: »
    You've got that Marantz playing with some pretty elite friends, its probably not used to running with that crowd. I'd be interested to hear what you think of the Marantz vs the HK.

Hey Bob

I lived in Dousman Wi for a year then moved to Thiensville Wi for many years.

One day I may hook up the HK just for kicks. I'm thinking about replacing the cord one with a Signal Cable. I saved Ken S. thread/post on upgrading to a plug and play :cheesygrin: so that will help with the process.

I'd say running the 2238B with higher end components that itself is the way to go. That way you can really hear what all its got, right? Hell I don't know but one thing I do know is that for around $65.00 I did good :mrgreen: