Surround vs stereo for music

Options
Barfuls
Barfuls Posts: 4
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
After spending most of my life performing music, mixing & engineering music for a few years after that, and finally getting a day job in the audio buisness, I had built up quite a hobby with my home stereo. Dahlquest DQ 10's, dual Dahlquest subs, all CJ tubes, very expensive turntable, cables & such. I had the normal feeling of rejecting the very idea of music in surround sound. I think most of us do. I then got a chance to play around with a Fosgate surround preamp (which worked a bit like Pro-logic II), using some spekers & amps I had lying around the house. I played several pieces of music that I had played over my reference system & rejected how it made things sound "different" than I was used to. Then I put on a few pieces of music that I had mixed myself & was unprepaired for what I heard. It was different from what I had always heard in stereo alright, but it was MUCH closer to what I heard when I made the recordings in the first place. I had played them back on all sorts of stereos, including the one in the Sheffield mixing room & the presentation in surround blew away any of the presentations I had heard in stereo. This was on a system that was untweeked as well! I've been a believer since then. Now that I realize that the presentation is so much more real in surround, I no longer get any amusement listening in stereo anymore. I am totally convinced that upgrading a system to surround is the biggest improvement that a person could possibly give a stereo at any price. After several years tweeking many surround systems, I agree with DTS & Dolby Labs, that 5 matched (full range if possible) speakers is definately the way to go. If you listen to music on a system like this, I'm sure you'll agree that a stereo presentation at any price pales with this.
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited March 2002
    Options
    good points,
    I work for a high end store as we carry Martin logans,Wilson audio,B&W,Dynaudio,Krell, Audio Research tube amps,Mark Levinston,Transparent. 2 channel music is most pleasing at all level's.
    Multichannel music also sounds great,SACD and DVD-AUDIO do ao good job of creating great sound.But I'm a musician as well and I like both ways,not favoring one over the other.I enjoy everything that the market has to offer,some beter then other but at the end of the day....it's all good!!
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.