Playing PC audio to all receiver channels

Options
Blue)(Fusion
Blue)(Fusion Posts: 3
edited April 2013 in Going Digital
Hi,

I currently have a Yamaha HTR-6130 receiver, a pair of Polk Audio M10s and a PSW10 connected to an HTPC. The HTPC is connected via Toslink to the receiver as the HDMI is pass-through only on this model :evil:.

I know that Toslink has a 2 channel PCM limitation. I am adding 3 more channels to my setup (Monitor 50s in front and moving the M10s to the rear and a CS1 center) and when I play audio, I want it to come out of the front and rear channels simultaneously.

Does anybody know if this happens by default or is there a setting for this on my receiver to output the 2 PCM channels to both front and rear?

FWIW, even if I did upgrade to a different receiver that supports HDMI audio decoding, would the software have to be configured to stream the digital data on each channel? If so that may be a chore....Linux + ALSA :rolleyes:
Post edited by Blue)(Fusion on

Comments

• Tbone289
    Tbone289 Posts: 661
    edited March 2013
    Options
    According to the owner's manual *here*, there are several sound field options to choose from. These should give you a simulated-surround effect from a 2-channel source. See page 34.
    2.1: PC>Schiit Gungnir MB>Schiit Freya Noval>NAD C-270>Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1, HSU STF-2 5.1: HDMI Bitstream>Denon AVR-1910>polkaudio RTE55, CS350-LS, RT3, HSU STF-2, Visio M55-F0
  • falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited March 2013
    Options
    ...I know that Toslink has a 2 channel PCM limitation...

First note: Toslink is not limited to 2-channel PCM. Toslink (as well as digital coax) are used on practically every cable box and dvd player to transfer real native Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1. Whether your HTPC can output 5.1 depends on the media player you're using.

Second note: Almost all receivers have surround options for distributing 2 channel sources to all 5 or 7 or 9 or whatever number of channels. Dolby has ProLogic, DTS has neo, and the receiver company will have its own proprietary ones.
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • Blue)(Fusion
    Blue)(Fusion Posts: 3
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Tbone289 wrote: »
    According to the owner's manual *here*, there are several sound field options to choose from. These should give you a simulated-surround effect from a 2-channel source. See page 34.

Thanks, I've played with those options before but had no idea what their effect was since I am lacking the extra speakers :)
  • machinelasera
    machinelasera Posts: 1
    edited April 2013
    Options
    First note: Toslink is not limited to 2-channel PCM. Toslink (as well as digital coax) are used on practically every cable box and dvd player to transfer real native Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1. Whether your HTPC can output 5.1 depends on the media player you're using.

Second note: Almost all receivers have surround options for distributing 2 channel sources to all 5 or 7 or 9 or whatever number of channels. Dolby has ProLogic, DTS has neo, and the receiver company will have its own proprietary ones.
    Good notes. Thanks for sharing. I am running laser systems with PC :)