Question - connecting powered speakers to DAC

Options
dragon1952
dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
edited April 2013 in Going Digital
I just received a pair of powered monitors (Fostex PMO.4n) for my computer set-up. I'm connecting them to a HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC. Both the DAC and speakers have volume controls. This probably doesn't make much difference but how would you set the volume controls in this case. I'm thinking DAC volume on MAX (which I think would supply 2.2Vrms to the speakers amps) and then adjust listening volume from the speakers volume control?
The speaker manual doesn't list any info on input voltages, it just says to "set the gain of both monitors at medium setting and slowly bring up the gain of the (mixing) console. Adjust the gain of both monitors for balance and for best SNR"
2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
Post edited by dragon1952 on

Comments

• falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Can you disable the volume control on the DAC, or set it to "fixed"? That would be preferable, but if you can't I agree with DSkip: max it out.

Personally I would then set the monitors to a medium/high setting and control the volume with the computer because it's easier, but you could also max out the computer and physically adjust the monitors.
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • dragon1952
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Actually you can bypass the DAC volume control by moving a jumper. So that's what you would suggest?
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • falconcry72
    edited April 2013
    Options
    dragon1952 wrote: »
    Actually you can bypass the DAC volume control by moving a jumper. So that's what you would suggest?

Absolutely!
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • dragon1952
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Oops....looks like some soldering/un-soldering is involved ..... never mind. The components are way to small for me to want to mess with.
  • falconcry72
    edited April 2013
    Options
    dragon1952 wrote: »
    Oops....looks like some soldering/un-soldering is involved ..... never mind. The components are way to small for me to want to mess with.

Yea in that case screw it. Run the volume all the way up and you'll be fine. Enjoy!

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited April 2013
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    I've heard a few complain about loss of details when using the volume control with the Sabre DAC.

If it were when using the 32 bit digital volume control in the ES9018 DAC chip, I would strongly disagree with losing any detail. Much depends on manufacturer configuration with any DAC chip. The ES9023 used in the HiFimeDIY is a 24 bit DAC chip and IIRC does not have any internal volume control. Lower bit digital volume control will lose detail. The datasheet of the ES9023 refers to an external resistor to customize output level.

Here is a pdf doc by ESS explaining digital volume.

http://www.esstech.com/pdf/digital-vs-analog-volume-control.pdf
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited April 2013
    Options
    My latest pre doesn't have remote volume so I was kind of forced into using the volume control in my ES9018 DIY DAC. (I added Ardunio I2C control of the DAC chip along with an Apple remote). I can't detect any loss of SQ using the 32 bit digital volume. And I am pretty fussy about a low noise floor and SQ.

I agree with you all about dragons situation to set volume to max and use the speakers volume control.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *