Power Conditioners???

Eadion
Eadion Posts: 5
edited March 2002 in Technical/Setup
I am considering buying a surge suppressor/power conditioner made by monster cable.
They retail anywhere from $80-$150.
Does anyone have an opinion as to whether they are worth the money or not??
Do they really make any noticeable difference??
My A/V equipment is already on its own dedicated circuit, how would I benefit???

Any feedback is appreciated...
Post edited by Eadion on

Comments

• goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited March 2002
    i have the monster 3500 it has a nice feachure that it turns on and off my suround and sub amps for me when i turn on my recever
  • BrandonW
    BrandonW Posts: 57
    edited March 2002
    Conditioner help protect your gear from spikes, noise and other line related issues.

Say if the neutral in your house is loose or corroding, you can get spikes/line voltage upwards of 150-240 volts. A good conditioner can notify you when/if this is occuring.

Brownouts also kill gear and a good conditioner can help suppress any problems like this.

SO yes very worthwhile.

Brandon
  • CrazyHead
    CrazyHead Posts: 63
    edited March 2002
    CompUSA and Best Buy have the Belkin "Isolator" surge supressor. 3000 joule protection, four dual isolated and filtered outlets (for a total of eight outlets). This is one of the best diamond-in-the-rough buys in the audio world. It's market position is that of a surge protector for PC gear, but it's audio performance is unrivaled in its price range. And 3000 joules of protection is double what the Monster gear provides.

-crazyhead-
  • Eadion
    Eadion Posts: 5
    edited March 2002
    Hey thanks, that's good to know. There is a Best Buy just a few miles away and I didn't check there. Thanks for the info...

Ed.
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited March 2002
    i have a cyber power 500sl surge & battery back up got it at wall mark on sale for $ 59 i use it with my pioneer elite dv-f07 dvd 300=1 player if power gose off you loose all the movie, logs so this makes a good back up & surge protector.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • kanicker
    kanicker Posts: 86
    edited March 2002
    Do these things REALLY work?

Someone who is an expert speak up. I obtained a true power regulator from an auction ($5) a few years back, it was used for a server ROOM. It weighs about 300 pounds and it about 2.5 ft cubed. And its 'dern ugly. So of course its no help in my home audio for now; but one day...

So, when I see a plastic $100 power regulator at CompUSA, I think someone's chain is being pulled. Power conditioning... protection...backup.... whats the real scoop?
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited March 2002
    if your power is not clean or the voltage is not at a constant you need a regulator but if you want to stop a blender from sending feed back into your ht then a condishoner is good it takes out noise and protects you from surgeses. whatyou have will keep the voltage regulated soyou wont get spikes and brown outs. these are 2 diferent things unless you pay like 1200 foe a all in one i think monster cabble sells one like that
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited March 2002
    Where's the power conditioning experts??? Maybe we don't have any here. Oh, well. I've read on several occasions that you're not supposed to use line conditioners meant for computers with your audio system. I don't know why, but that's what I heard. I have a nice TripLite conditioner for my computer that's been going strong for a good 6 years or so. Maybe some day I'll try it on my audio system and see what happens.

Aaron