Need a Sub Recommendation! Blew the MM12, 2nd one after 36 hour break-in

Options
97FordExp.XLT
97FordExp.XLT Posts: 20
edited June 2004 in Car Subwoofer Talk
Talk about being pissed off. Yesterday after taking it slow and breaking it in for 36 hours since April 7,2004., the **** smoked again. Yes, again! WTF!? Mark my words I will never buy from Polk again, well except for their home stereo line. (drools - contradicting I know LOL) I do admit they have superior sound, but the rating of 500Watts is b.s! The irony is the same song blew out the second sub as the first sub, go figure. I'm not here to trash Polk either, just a personal preference from now on. I do NOT want this thread to go into a trashing session. capice?

Anyways, despite being ticked off, I need recommendations for a new sub with or without an enclosure. A name brand with specifics is necessary including the series please. Websites are not necessary because I will go on a massive researching session soon. My amp can handle either 500Watts mono bridged 4ohm x 1, 250Watts x 2 at 2ohms per channel, OR 125Watts x 2 at 4ohms.

I am looking for loaded subwoofer enclosures that can handle the the values stated above as minimums for the amount of RMS. I will respond to anyone who answers and even get into detail about the MM12 too, but would rather not because then it will get into an arguement and take away from my purpose of this thread.
'97 Ford Explorer XLT

- Clarion Pro Audio Reciever
- RF 500Watt Amp Bridged
- 2nd MM12 smoked from replacement warranty
- Infinity Kappa 5x7" rear doors
- Infinity Reference 5x7" with tweeter front doors
- Kenwood 60x4 4 Channel Amp
- Lightning Audio 1 Farad Capacitor with distribution and digital voltage monitor

A society whose citizens refuse to see and investigate the facts, who refuse to believe that their govt and their media will routinely lie to them and fabricate a reality contrary to verifiable facts, is a society that chooses and deserves the Police State Dictatorship its going to get.

"Every great advance in... knowledge has involved the absolute rejection of authority. ~Thomas Jefferson. EXERCISE YOUR RIGHTS and DONT BE A MINDLESS ZOMBIE, THINK FOR YOURSELF!
Post edited by 97FordExp.XLT on

Comments

• LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited May 2004
    Options
    are those RMS wattage for that amp?
    -Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • 97FordExp.XLT
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Yes
    '97 Ford Explorer XLT

- RF 500Watt Amp Bridged
    - Lightning Audio 1 Farad Capacitor with distribution and digital voltage monitor

A society whose citizens refuse to see and investigate the facts, who refuse to believe that their govt and their media will routinely lie to them and fabricate a reality contrary to verifiable facts, is a society that chooses and deserves the Police State Dictatorship its going to get.

"Every great advance in... knowledge has involved the absolute rejection of authority. ~Thomas Jefferson. EXERCISE YOUR RIGHTS and DONT BE A MINDLESS ZOMBIE, THINK FOR YOURSELF!
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited May 2004
    Options
    What amp exactly is it?
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2004
    Options
    I'm guessing punch 500S
    I did the same thing with my first 2 mm120...cracked the spyder on both of em
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited May 2004
    Options
    man, either u guys got some of the mm12 from the 'bad batch' or i've just been hella lucky, i am running mine of a rockford fostage punch 500s, i did about 16 hours of break in, and then from there on for the next 8 hours of play or so i gradually cranked it up... it POUNDS man...

but other than the polk, i would check out the adire shiva, i've heard its about the best bang for the bucks by far... i've also heard good things about the kicker s10l7 which would be about right for you amp, however i would stay away from just about anything else kicker
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • 97FordExp.XLT
    edited May 2004
    Options
    The amp is a Rockford Fosgate P5002. I put the specifications for power ratings, RMS values.

The bad batch would make no sense because when I returned it under warranty the first time I didn't send it back to who I bought it at sounddomain.com, I sent it back directly to CA to Polk.

See my last thread was asking advice for breaking in the MM12 and I did it exactly. I just don't understand and don't even want to. Just annoying as hell.
    '97 Ford Explorer XLT

- RF 500Watt Amp Bridged

• exalted512
    edited May 2004
    Options
    id be pissed too
    as a matter of fact, i was pissed when i had to send both of mine back--but i was happy to know i would be getting the new style back...
    shiva's a nice sub but their power rating is below 500 i think...
    not that it couldnt handle 500, cuz im sure it can
    -Cody
  • 97FordExp.XLT
    edited May 2004
    Options
    LOL, this is the replacement subwoofer I fried! This was a replacement from the Polk factory. I don't know why, if it was a recalled subwoofer, I got the recall and not a new series. Clearly they know which are the bad batch through serial numbers.

I will look into the Shiva. I believe it's also linked with Brahma too.
    '97 Ford Explorer XLT

- RF 500Watt Amp Bridged

• exalted512
    edited May 2004
    Options
    the brahma can be run at 500 watts--probably be best ported though
    theres a place...like soundfoundations.org or something...its not .com
    but they sell the 10" for 330 with free shipping
    and if you ever want to get a bigger amp...it handles 1600watts RMS
    can we say HOLY ****?
    lol
    -Cody
  • 97FordExp.XLT
    edited May 2004
    Options
    well atleast it will be hard to blow up lol
    '97 Ford Explorer XLT

- RF 500Watt Amp Bridged

• Systems
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Pheonix Gold Ti's VERY cheap right now, awesome subs for the money.

Type R's also of course...

Resonant engineering HC,SE there both cheap right now....

Elemental Designs K or O series would work for you also....

Try to stay away from polk....much better out there for the money.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Altec88

Try to stay away from polk....much better out there for the money.
    what do you run?
    $180 for a 500 watt 12" momo sub in an enclosure seems like a pretty good deal to me
    -Cody
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by exalted512
    the brahma can be run at 500 watts--probably be best ported though
    theres a place...like soundfoundations.org or something...its not .com
    but they sell the 10" for 330 with free shipping
    and if you ever want to get a bigger amp...it handles 1600watts RMS
    can we say HOLY ****?
    lol
    -Cody

soundillusions.com I believe
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • Systems
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by exalted512
    what do you run?
    $180 for a 500 watt 12" momo sub in an enclosure seems like a pretty good deal to me
    -Cody

180$ can buy you 2 12" Phoenix Gold Ti's.....MUCH better subs, can't beat the price. 90$ for 18mm of xmax? Awesome.

I run a Resonant Engineering 15" **** of a Brutus 1500d :)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    Options
    its this one:
    http://www.sound-foundations.us//catalog/default.php?cPath=22_23
    really nice people to deal with
    the owner of it is a very active poster on www.caraudiotalk.com
    hes the one that has a signature with sound foundations on it
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited May 2004
    Options
    i think the recent disagreements with altec88 are due to the fact that s/he appears to be an spl person, while the people on this forum are primarily sq people, at least over straight-up spl.

altec - am i right, are you spl? ported enclosures, 15" ****, you consider value linked directly to xmax...

btw, i'm not ripping on you if you are, i'm just wondering (wandering?? :p)
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    Options
    while resonance engineering's **** is more of an SPL sub than sq, it still maintains pretty good SQ
    ive never heard one personally, but id venture to say equal to that of the momo
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited May 2004
    Options
    i was focusing more on the fact that it was a 15, but i was under the impression that **** was a pure spl sub... his argument is now 1/2 point stronger

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Systems
    edited May 2004
    Options
    whoa whoa whoa.......

The **** is a SQL sub...It is one of the leading SQ drivers out there today....and it gets loud when you want it too :)

If i'm ported i'm automatically a SPL person? That means nothing, many people prefer ported for SQ.....just cause its ported, it doesn't mean it sounds bad :)

"while resonance engineering's **** is more of an SPL sub than sq, it still maintains pretty good SQ
    ive never heard one personally, but id venture to say equal to that of the momo"

The **** should NEVER be compared to the momo in SQ, the momo is clearly out of the ****'s league.

I prefer SQ over SPL.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Altec88
    The **** should NEVER be compared to the momo in SQ, the momo is clearly out of the ****'s league.
    yeah i thought so but i didnt no for sure
    compared to the brahma, the **** is geared a little more for SPL but still maintains great SQ
    15" subs being only for SPL is not true anymore for high end drivers
    some ppl PREFER 15s over 12s for sq setups because of the low end advantage they have
    and like he said, many people do run ported boxes for SQ
    with programs like winisd available for free to everyone, its very easy for anyone to make a great sounding ported box
    im going to get a couple of brahmas in a few months and i might run them ported
    im not sure yet though...i like the idea of having a small box
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited May 2004
    Options
    altec - i didn't know, which is why i asked.

cody - maybe you can try them in both... make a good sealed and a properly tuned ported, then post results?

• djenkins_2k
    djenkins_2k Posts: 10
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Jordann
    ... i've also heard good things about the kicker s10l7 which would be about right for you amp, however i would stay away from just about anything else kicker
    What do you have against Kicker? Is it just the subs, 'cause I have dual KX-600.4 amps that are GREAT!
    Polk db6500 [front]
    Polk db650 [rear]
    Polk MOMO MM12 [2]

PolkAudio RT600i [front]
    PolkAudio CS245i
    PolkAudio F/X300i [surround]
  • Systems
    edited May 2004
    Options
    i know how ya feel man i blew my momo2124 and have to send it back but i dident really let it break in.i went for like a week then cranked it but it lasted preatty long.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Kicker all around is a great mid-level company. Amps are underated, and decently priced.

There subs are nice also, from pure SPL subs to decent entry level subs. All well priced also.

The L7's are the loudest sub for the dollar IMO.....
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing