LSiM 703's and Sanus Ultimates

Options
Sprags
Sprags Posts: 120
edited March 2013 in Speakers
Ok. I'm about to splurge on the Sanus Ultimates for by speakers. The spec fot the Ultimates says they are for speakers up to 25 lbs and the 703's spec out to just under 30 lbs. will the Ultimates handle the 703's? I'm planning on getting the 30 inch tall stands. Though I imagine the lower the speakers the more bass right?
Post edited by Sprags on

Comments

• Sprags
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I guess since I stood up to another forum member that said my approach to getting opinion on speakers was BS I'm now given the. Silent treatment?
  • Oldfatdogs
    Oldfatdogs Posts: 1,874
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I think you will be ok with those stands.Its not like putting 75 pound on them,give it a shot.You want the tweeter at or as close to ear level as possible from your seated position.

As for the Silent treatment,it happens now and then.
    Dan
  • Oldfatdogs
    Oldfatdogs Posts: 1,874
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Pillars can be filled with shot for added mass and have damping rings at both ends to effectively isolate vibrations.

I just read the page,you should probably fill with lead shot for more stability.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Sprags wrote: »
    Ok. I'm about to splurge on the Sanus Ultimates for by speakers. The spec fot the Ultimates says they are for speakers up to 25 lbs and the 703's spec out to just under 30 lbs. will the Ultimates handle the 703's? I'm planning on getting the 30 inch tall stands. Though I imagine the lower the speakers the more bass right?

They will support the LSiM's just fine. I'm really not sure why they state a 25 lb. weight limit as the stands are solidly built and IMO, will support a helluva lot more weight than that.

It's not how short, it's how they are built and whether they can be mass loaded as those can.
    I guess since I stood up to another forum member that said my approach to getting opinion on speakers was BS I'm now given the. Silent treatment?

Patience Grasshopper. While it may appear some of us live on here, we actually do have a life.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I have my LSi 9's on UF 26 stands and they are very stable. The LSi 9's are also 33lbs while the 703's are 29.5lbs.

And my stands are not even mass loaded yet...

For me, the UF 26 put my LSi's right where I wanted them.
  • Sprags
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Thanks...I'm about 6'2 and I am perplexed by whether to choose the 26's, the 30's or the 34's. The 34's seem like they would be waaay too high, the 30's seem like they would be OK but I'm thinking that the 26's would be better for having them a little closers to the floor and getting a little more bass out of them.....though the 30's would probably be better suited for my seating.....arrgghhhh!
  • F1nut
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Where did this notion that you'll get more bass from the speakers being closer to the floor come from?

The tried and true rule is you want the tweeter at ear height from the seated position.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Sprags
    edited March 2013
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Where did this notion that you'll get more bass from the speakers being closer to the floor come from?

The tried and true rule is you want the tweeter at ear height from the seated position.

DUDE! Where did you get the idea that it doesn't? 10 years of a experience as an engineer for an audiological componens company that performed design, development, testing and manufacturing or all components of the assembly is where I got my 'notion'.
  • falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited March 2013
    Options
    DUDE! Where did you get the idea that it doesn't? 10 years of a experience as an engineer for an audiological componens company that performed design, development, testing and manufacturing or all components of the assembly is where I got my 'notion'.

Sounds like you don't need our help then. bye.
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • falconcry72
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I like how in your first post you say this:
    Though I imagine the lower the speakers the more bass right?

...as if you DON'T know the answer... and then later you say this:
    10 years of a experience as an engineer for an audiological componens company that performed design, development, testing and manufacturing or all components of the assembly is where I got my 'notion'.

...as if you DO know the answer due to your extensive experience. lol. If you know the answer so definitively, then why ask the question?

You are wound up WAY too tight. All I did in the other thread was point out why you shouldn't have been surprised by the defect in your refurbs, and you freaked out and went over the top defensive. All F1nut did here was ask where you got your notion, and you freaked out and went over the top defensive.

Sounds like you need to get laid.
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • F1nut
    edited March 2013
    Options
    DUDE! Where did you get the idea that it doesn't?

44 years of actual experience with all things audio.

President of Club Polk

• falconcry72
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Now, about the stands. I have always found that tweeter height is the most significant factor to overall sound when thinking about stands. You can augment bass response by moving the speakers closer to, or farther from, the side and front walls, but tweeter height is critical for high frequencies.

Try to get the tweeter as close to ear height in your seated position as possible. If I can't get it perfect, I prefer the tweeter to be too high rather than too low, but that's a personal preference thing.

Are you able to listen to the speakers at different heights now, before you buy the stands??? Try using books, cinder blocks, or whatever else to try the speakers at the different heights in question. Pick your favorite height and then order the corresponding stands.

There is no amount of research that can take the place of real testing in your own environment with your own ears.

• F1nut
    edited March 2013
    Options
    There is no amount of research that can take the place of real testing in your own environment with your own ears.

But he's got 10 years of a experience as an engineer for an audiological componens company that performed design, development, testing and manufacturing or all components of the assembly.

President of Club Polk

• Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I wonder why it's tweeter height and not mid driver height. The midrange comprises most the music, including the all-important human voice.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • Loud & Clear
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Thanks. Seems they're usually fairly close together anyway, tweeters and mid units.

Two Channel Setup:

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

• F1nut
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Not trying to be a smart a$$, but disconnect your tweeters and listen how little there is left to hear.

President of Club Polk

• Loud & Clear
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Right. Now that I think of it I have heard that before with vintage polks that had a blown tweeter(s). Amazing how much sound comes from something so small. Like a tiny wife in that sense.

Two Channel Setup:

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

• falconcry72
    edited March 2013
    Options
    ...The midrange comprises most the music, including the all-important human voice.

More sound is produced by the tweeter than by any other driver on the vast majority of recordings.

While most musical notes do exist in what we consider to be the "mid-range", where a mid-driver operates, say 300hz - 3000hz, there is much more going on than just the NOTE to comprise the entire SOUND. For example, when a saxophonist plays middle C, the actual note of "C" is at 261hz, but you are also hearing his breath, his spit, the reed vibration, and the tapping of the keys... all of which happen at higher frequencies. The same can be said for almost any instrument, especially the human voice. It is the high frequency "details" that give the note its texture, its 3-dimensionality, and its weight.

Almost all low-note-playing instruments (tuba, kick drum, upright bass) have a lot of high-frequency sounds going on in addition to their low notes, but almost no high-note-playing instruments (cymbals, flute, high piano, high strings) have low-frequency sounds going on in addition to their high notes.

Plus, as Skip was saying, high frequencies are more directional and are more prone to disruption by objects in the room than are lower frequencies.

• Sprags
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Sounds like you don't need our help then. bye.

I really don't need your help regarding general questions about audio ....specific Polk Audio questions yes.

If it didn't matter about bass response why didn't the earlier speaker manufacturers put the woofer above the tweeter? Why oh why Yoda? Why are the woofers lower to floor level on the 703's, 705's, 707's?
  • F1nut
    edited March 2013
    Options
    If it didn't matter about bass response why didn't the earlier speaker manufacturers put the woofer above the tweeter? Why oh why Yoda? Why are the woofers lower to floor level on the 703's, 705's, 707's?

You haven't figured that one out in your 10 years on the job.....really? Ok, I'll help you out. Let's turn the 707 upside down with the tweeter still at ear level. See the problem yet?

President of Club Polk

• Sprags
    edited March 2013
    Options
    You haven't figured that one out in your 10 years on the job.....really? Ok, I'll help you out. Let's turn the 707 upside down with the tweeter still at ear level. See the problem yet?

Obviously you need to learn how to recognize sarcasm. When speakers were rectangular boxes when they could be easily inverted the woofers were designed to be lower to the ground. Why do you think that is? just for the hell of it. just to make me sound smart? You need to accept that you are ignorant or wrong. That is the first step to growth. I'm sure I could find documents that substantiate the things I know and you don't.
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    edited March 2013
    Options
    image.jpg
    Yep, you really are an engineer. I see all of the classic symptoms. See my Zu Omens above. Bass response is quite good.
  • Sprags
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Yes I am..a good engineer....always an exception to the rule. If that's such a great design why don't all the speaker companies make them that way. By the way ...aren't you going to burn in Polk Audio hell for worshipping a non Polk Audio speaker that goes against even their design practices?
  • Sprags
    edited March 2013
    Options
    44 years of actual experience with all things audio.

So you were an audio expert while in your mothers womb for 30 years?
  • Sprags
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Actually I've gotten all the help and advice I needed from this forum. Listening to all of these comments is making my brain hurt. So long.
  • audiocr381ve
    audiocr381ve Posts: 2,588
    edited March 2013
    Options
    So you were an audio expert while in your mothers womb for 30 years?

Your attitude needs to go my friend.
  • ratster
    ratster Posts: 324
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Unbelievable.
    Main
    Parasound P5
    Parasound A21
    CA music streamer
    marantz 6005
    Clear Day dbl.shotgun
    Morrow Xlr
    1.7 Maggies

Bedroom
    adcom Gfp750
    Adcom 555
    Rotel 1072
    CA tuner
    LsiM703
    Clear day dbl shotgun
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,648
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Actually I've gotten all the help and advice I needed from this forum. Listening to all of these comments is making my brain hurt. So long.

Buh bye....
  • F1nut
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I'm sure I could find documents that substantiate the things I know and you don't.

You've done a bang up job so far. :lol:

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Yes I am..a good engineer....always an exception to the rule. If that's such a great design why don't all the speaker companies make them that way. By the way ...aren't you going to burn in Polk Audio hell for worshipping a non Polk Audio speaker that goes against even their design practices?

Well, as a engineer, you should know there is more than one speaker design out there. More than one way to skin that cat so to speak. Also, if you care to take notice, many here have moved up the ladder from Polk but the forum isn't just about Polk speakers and more so a sharing of experiences on our different audio journeys. Not so hard to understand.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable