Denon Owners (3802)

presidan
presidan Posts: 116
edited March 2002 in Technical/Setup
I have wrote about this in another thread

Now, i dont use a sub so (SUB:OFF) which means that all the bass from the speakers set as small and LFE are redirected to the main pre-outs. So far so good. But, i cant seem to find how to set my Denon's 3802 bass x-over if my (SUB:OFF). Can i adjust it at all if (SUB:OFF). And if i cant, what is the automatic bass x-over for my main pre-outs if (SUB:OFF) ? Does anyone Know what it is ?
RT2000i
F/X1000
CS400i
DENON AVR-3802
PIONEER PDP 4360-HD 43"
Post edited by presidan on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited March 2002
    There is no such thing as a bass x-over if set to large you are simply sending a full range signal to your mains. The lfe has nothing to do with the signal to your mains.
  • presidan
    edited March 2002
    Ok, do you know if the RT2000i line level is filtered or not ?
    RT2000i
    F/X1000
    CS400i
    DENON AVR-3802
    PIONEER PDP 4360-HD 43"
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited March 2002
    Are you asking what the high-pass frequency is for the speakers set to "small"? Because when you have the sub set to "ON" you can adjust it, but with the sub "OFF", you can't? I'm guessing it defaults to the THX-standard, 80 Hz. That's just my guess, though. I've got the 3801, and on it, the LP for the sub output is fixed at 80Hz. I can't find anywhere in the manual where it mentions the HP frequency for the speakers set to "small".

In "Sound & Vision's" review of the 3801 a year ago, their measurements showed the subwoofer output frequency response to be: -21db/octave rolloff above the -6db point of 80 Hz, and the high pass filter frequency response, for speakers set to "small" as: -12db/octave rolloff below -3db point of 80 Hz.

So the frequency was the same, but the slopes were different. I don't know if that helps you any, but that's all I've got..

Jason
  • tortfsr24
    tortfsr24 Posts: 79
    edited March 2002
    Presidan:

Finally someone with a Denon AVR-3802 so I can ask questions!

Here's the deal, I currently have a Denon AVR-3300 which only allows for 5.1 but will play 2 pairs of surrounds at once.

Currently my system consists of: (front) a CS 350 Ls center, two 15" Cerwin Vega subs and a pair of RT12s with upgraded tri-lam tweeters, (rear) a pair of LS/FXs set on dipole on the sides and another pair of RT12s with upgraded tri-lam tweeters behind the listening position.

I love being able to switch the surround speaker settings to listen to the rear RT12s for music and the LS/FXs for movies. (Sometimes I play all of them at once:D)

I want to upgrade to 6.1/7.1 and was considering the Denon AVR-3802. However, I really don't want to give up my rear RT12s for the rear center channels and don't want to move them from the back corners of the room to the center. I was thinking of buying 35is for the rear center channels. Will the 3802 accommodate this such that if I wanted to it would drive all 9 speakers at once? I was thinking I might be able to use the "multi" channel output to pull this off.

All in all, being able to play all 9 at once isn't the biggest issue. I just need to know if the 3802 is "smart" enough or has enough outputs to allow me to play the RT12s in the rear for 5 channel stereo or DVD-audio and also play the 35is and the LS/FX for DD 6.1/7.1. I don't want to have to climb behind my stereo rack and change speaker connections each time I switch between music and movies.

Hopefully I haven't confused everyone too bad.

I'm going to repost this reply in the forum for additional input.

Thanks in advance for your advice,

Brent
  • dougg
    dougg Posts: 8
    edited March 2002
    I accomplish something similar with an A/B speaker source switch (partsexpress.com p/n 300-571) .
    My system; RT5’s mains cs200 center and RM3000 for the rears. I use an old home made 12’ sub (next to be replaced) . For listening to music the rm3000’s are just placed better in the room, plus I like enjoy their sound more then the RT5’s. So I use an A/B switch. It changes the rears source from surrounds to “B” front speakers.
  • presidan
    edited March 2002
    tortfsr24

Ok i am not the best person to ask questions of that nature here since i only have 5 speakers right now but i will try to answer you......

1- First, yes the Denon 3802 is "smart" enough to let you switch between two sets of surround speakers without having to climb behind your stereo rack (A, B switching). Either you have a pair of surrounds right next to the listening positions and 2,1 or 0 surround backs or you have the surrounds place in the rear corners with 2,1 or 0 surround backs. You guessed it right about the multi zone using. It can be used to drive 2 speakers in another room OR a pair of surround back speakers (or 1 if you only have one)

2- Now, you have 5 front speakers ? Are those cverwin vega's full range speakers or stand alone subwoofers ?

3-Other good news, at first i thought that it wasnt possible but it seems that the Denon 3802 is indeed capable of driving 9 speakers at the same time (A+B) but there is a price to pay. When using A+B the speaker impedance (for the surrounds only) changes from 6~16 Ohm to 8~16 Ohm (less Watts/speaker if you prefer)

There, i hope that i answered all of your questions. Those werent things that i looked for when buying a receiver. 9 SPEAKERS !!! Who's that crazy ???;)

I am not 100% sure about this information so if anyone has some corrections to post, please do

But sound qualitywise, the Denon 3802 is real good. You might wanna change those cerwin's of yours..............
    RT2000i
    F/X1000
    CS400i
    DENON AVR-3802
    PIONEER PDP 4360-HD 43"
  • tortfsr24
    tortfsr24 Posts: 79
    edited March 2002
    Thanks for the responses. Lets see...... RT35is, RT55is, RT600is, or yet another set of RT12's (or 800is) for the rear center channel speakers! I am just excited the Denon is capable of pulling this off so I can go ahead and prewire my house for it.

As to the two Cerwin Vega subs, they are the Sub-150 models and compromise of a 15" woofer and 200 watts of power. I actually chose them over other models because the bass was limitless. I can't hurt these beasts. One was plenty, but I couldn't resist the second. I agree CV doesn't hold a flame to polk in technology or design, but they do bass pretty damn well.

Brent
  • presidan
    edited March 2002
    WHOAH!

Dont take my word for it !!!! Get second opinions before you wire your house please !!!

Tell me about it, i made 2 of my neighbors light bulbs fall out because of the vibration my 2 10" CV produced. True, they can shake a house but it is not a good quality bass. You got $, get some SVS subs........... They will put your CV's to shame !!!
    RT2000i
    F/X1000
    CS400i
    DENON AVR-3802
    PIONEER PDP 4360-HD 43"