What do you all think about Neil Young's PONO?

Options
cnh
cnh Posts: 13,284
edited February 2013 in Going Digital
I think there is a tread around here about Neil Young appearing on Letterman, but I can't seem to find it?

So here's a blurb about the appearance and the PONO device Neil has been promoting. Anyone, know more? Anybody heard it demoed? Opinions, plus/minus?

http://gizmodo.com/5947226/neil-young-unveils-his-new-pono-music-player

cnh
Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
[sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
Post edited by cnh on

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I think he is right, and glad he is trying to improve the process.

http://www.audiostream.com/content/neil-youngs-pono-what-it
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Great idea. But i think its all gonna depend on economics to see if it has any staying power. Alot of questions still. How much for the player ? How much for the music in hi-rez ? Who's gonna remaster and/or transfer the older catalogs of music and at what cost ? If the record company's and ( sad to say ) Apple are gonna get on board ? Hopefully it works out because it truely is a great idea that should have been solved years ago. Thanks Neil !!!
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I thought this was a very intriguing idea also.

Btw, if u like Neil, there a great piece on him by David Carr (an interesting character himself) in the NewYorkTimes magazine -

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/23/magazine/neil-young-comes-clean.html?pagewanted=all
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,983
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Neil is one committed (no pun intended) guy with the resources to hopefully get the job done. I too am glad he is trying to improve the process.
  • steward15
    steward15 Posts: 1
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I was at Borders the other day and I saw the price for the PostSecret: Extraordinary Confessions from Ordinary Lives, and my eyes popped out in shock when I saw that it was $29.99.
    I like to thank you guys for being my care taker for the Test inside for more information CIPS for more detail wikipedia you can also see about this Amazon bes wishes
  • michaeljee
    michaeljee Posts: 1
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Nice surprise about this shorter form. Can you tell us what it is you are talking/writing about?
    Has any info. about this shorter form been posted before (and i just missed it)?
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited February 2013
    Options
    The question really is: will there be enough of a market for a new audio format to be successful? If you already have the vinyl, redook cd, and possibly HDTrack, are going to invest once again?

Don't get me wrong, I want high resolution to succeed, but if Pono is to have a chance Neil Young is going to have to keep the price close to $15, otherwise it is going to be a struggle for the format to get any traction.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Why are the two spammers, michaeljee and steward15, still here?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.