question on amp, preamp, and tuner

Options
kquail
kquail Posts: 35
edited February 2013 in 2 Channel Audio
I have a chance to purchase a NAD matched system i need some advice please . I am really new to higher end components .
I am looking at a
NAD 4100 tuner
NAD 1000 preamp
and a NAD C 272 amplifier
my speakers are polk audio sda 2's how will this system work together ? i was recommended the adcom 555 by another member but i found this set and wonder what would be better ,the NAD or hold out for the adcom 555 and get a matching preamp thank you
crank it till your ears bleed
Post edited by kquail on

Comments

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited February 2013
    Options
    The brand is a match but the tuner and pre doesn't match the amp. I don't know about their tuners. The pre is an older model while the amp is a newer one. The matching pre for the C272 is the C162.
    But I'm sure that combo would still sound great. Plus, if you check local sales, you should be able to find the C162 once in a while.
    I'm currently running NAD C160/C270 combo I purchased 10 years ago on a pair of Polk RT1000p. The sound is fantastic.
    I remember SDA need an common ground amp. Not sure if the C270 is common ground or not.

Adcom is a different sound. The few Adcoms I've heard are more forward and brighter (not in a bad way). NAD has more of that British sound. Warmer, more laid back, and a relaxed top end. Both offer great dynamics and overall sound quality. I enjoy both brands.

It's really up to you. Would be nice if you're able to audition both. Good luck!
  • kquail
    edited February 2013
    Options
    The NAD i am going to look at so i will get to hear it , but the adcom is ebay item buying blind .
    My understanding is that common ground involves tying the negative output posts for the left and right channel together.is this correct ?
  • organ
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Not sure. I think it has to do with how they're grounded internally. You might want to PM a member who owns SDA or shoot an e-mail to NAD.
  • kquail
    edited February 2013
    Options
    thanks for your advice got in touch with polk audio this was their reply
    Taylor, Daniel" <DTaylor@polkaudio.com>
    Subject: Amp for the SDA-2
    Date: February 22, 2013 10:24:59 EST

Hi
    That sounds like a great amp for those speakers. It does have the capacity to output a 4Ohm signal and 8Ohm signal depending on what you will hook them up to, so even if you change the speakers with this amp later, it will give you more than enough power and signal strength

Thank You,

Daniel Taylor
    Customer Service/Tech Support
    5601 Metro Drive
    Baltimore | MD | 21215
    work 18003777655
    fax 4107645470
  • organ
    edited February 2013
    Options
    That definitely good news. NAD amps are powerful. Were you able to get confirmation from NAD or someone on this forum if the amp is common ground?
  • kquail
    edited February 2013
    Options
    yes it is common ground got conformation from nad and polk
  • organ
    edited February 2013
    Options
    That's good news. Let us know if you decide to go with NAD or Adcom.