"clacking" noise at high volumes

Options
Cuchulain
Cuchulain Posts: 66
I've had a new PSW125 for about 2 weeks and its been great. Been listening to music and watching TV until now. Its first big test was today with an action movie and it produced a "clacking" (for lack of a better word) noise on a couple of occasions. It happened on the biggest explosions; so when the most energy was needed. It has continued to work fine since this happened. It was turned up louder than it has been since I got it.

Does this sub just need to be broken in? Specifically, it has happened only with intense LFE signals.

Thanks in advance for any input.
AVR: Integra DTR-50.4
TV: LG 50PS70
DVD/CD/BR: OPPO BDP 93
MAINS: Polk RTiA7
CENTER: Polk CSiA6
Heights: Polk VS 625RT (in wall)
SURROUNDS: Polk TC60i (in ceiling)
REARS: Polk R1
SUB: Polk PSW 125
Post edited by Cuchulain on

Comments

• Cuchulain
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Noted. Didn't think I had it close to it's limit.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Try placing the sub elsewhere in the room. It may be in a null, which will explain why it's not playing loud but exceeding xmax.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited February 2013
    Options
    That "clack" you're hearing is an actual bottoming out of the voice coil. Continued bottoming will alter (mushroom) the coil's shape, then scraping will follow.
  • maxima
    maxima Posts: 143
    edited February 2013
    Options
    If the sub is not place in a corner, you can try corner placement which will greatly increase its output. A possible downside is the bass may sound a bit "boomier".
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Probably a combination of both, volume and placement. Also, that sub isn't ment for a big room either, so if you have it setup in a fairly large room your turning the volume up to try and pressurize the room. Then when the big explosions hit in a movie soundtrack you'll bottom out the sub.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Cuchulain
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I really can't move the sub as I ran the cable behind the wall when I renovated. It's kind of recessed into this window area.
    IMG-20130219-00156.jpg

It definitely benefits from being close to a wall/corner in this spot. I guess it was just a matter of me having a new toy and wanting to see what it could do. The volume was only two thirds up on the sub and set at -20dB on the AVR. The room is about 14' x 16'.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Time to pick up a longer cord and experiment with placement.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Or go ahead and realize that your room needs more subwoofage than the PSW125 can dish out, return it, and step up to one of the many non-Polk alternatives that will get you that kinda' output on the (relative) cheap (SVS, Hsu, ED, etc.). Just sayin'...
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Either a voice coil taxed or source anomalies ! Worked fine except during those passages?
  • Tbone289
    Tbone289 Posts: 661
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Cuchulain wrote: »
    The volume was only two thirds up on the sub and set at -20dB on the AVR.

You might benefit from turning the volume down on the sub itself and recalibrating the AVR. You should try to get closer to 0 dB on your AVR. My PSW505 is set at about 1/4 max volume, and that gets me to about -3dB on the AVR, which is close to the same setting as my front and center monitors.
    2.1: PC>Schiit Gungnir MB>Schiit Freya Noval>NAD C-270>Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1, HSU STF-2 5.1: HDMI Bitstream>Denon AVR-1910>polkaudio RTE55, CS350-LS, RT3, HSU STF-2, Visio M55-F0
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Just off the top of my head, I want to say three quarters of volume is way too much. I don't think I ever had a sub where the volume was more than a tad north of half way.

Is the room enclosed or does it open on one side to another area ? If so, you may need a bigger sub to get some pressure.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Cuchulain
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Msabot1 wrote: »
    Either a voice coil taxed or source anomalies ! Worked fine except during those passages?

It did. Didn't think of 'source anomalies'; the disc was a dvd rip.
  • Cuchulain
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Tbone289 wrote: »
    You might benefit from turning the volume down on the sub itself and recalibrating the AVR. You should try to get closer to 0 dB on your AVR. My PSW505 is set at about 1/4 max volume, and that gets me to about -3dB on the AVR, which is close to the same setting as my front and center monitors.

Its turned down now but anything louder than say -10dB is too loud for the room. I don't understand 'recalibrating' the AVR. Do you mean changing my mains back to 'large'.
  • Cuchulain
    edited February 2013
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Just off the top of my head, I want to say three quarters of volume is way too much. I don't think I ever had a sub where the volume was more than a tad north of half way.

Is the room enclosed or does it open on one side to another area ? If so, you may need a bigger sub to get some pressure.

Yeah the room is more open. the HT is only part of the room; the room is 25' in total with no door. Theater side is 12x14.
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    edited February 2013
    Options
    I think your equipment and settings are ok....more than likely the source! By the way,think Canada is cool..used to live in B.C.
  • Tbone289
    Tbone289 Posts: 661
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Cuchulain wrote: »
    Its turned down now but anything louder than say -10dB is too loud for the room. I don't understand 'recalibrating' the AVR. Do you mean changing my mains back to 'large'.

I mean turn down the volume on the sub, then run YPAO Sound Optimization calibration.
    2.1: PC>Schiit Gungnir MB>Schiit Freya Noval>NAD C-270>Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1, HSU STF-2 5.1: HDMI Bitstream>Denon AVR-1910>polkaudio RTE55, CS350-LS, RT3, HSU STF-2, Visio M55-F0
  • Cuchulain
    edited February 2013
    Options
    gotcha Tbone, thanks.
  • Cuchulain
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Done. YPAO set my mains to large which I reversed; set the cross-over to 120Hz which I changed to 80 and set the sub to +3dB which I left. Not sure what the previous sub setting was but with it turned down it has probably changed.