Polkfest, 9 Oct 2004, Charleston SC- be there!!!

TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
edited October 2004 in Gatherings & Special Events
All,

I think know is the time to start the planning of the East Coast October Polkfest. The date that I am planning is Saturday, 9 October.

Location is, obviously, my house in North Charleston, SC.

For those coming in from out of town, I am literally minutes away from the local airport (Charleston Int'l), Amtrak and Bus stations. If you choose one of those routes, let me know and I can arrange transportation.

Accomodations: I have LIMITED space at my house and so far the sofas and so forth have pretty much been spoken for. If you want to roll a sleeping bag on the floor, I have no issues with that. There are any number of hotels within minutes of my house. If there is enough interest, we can inquire about, possibly, a group discount.

All travel / accommodation issues we can work on a case by case basis.

For the event itself. As it is a holiday weekend, if there is interest, we can make it a weekend long event. A social / BBQ type affair on Friday night as people roll in. The gear demo and so forth on Saturday. If people want to hang around for Sunday, we can see about playing golf or taking in the sights of Charleston or what have you. Guys, Charleston is one of the top tourist destinations in the US, you can play this angle with your spouses. The lovely Wendi is more than happy to show your spouses and kids around. Spouses and kids are MORE than welcome at my house, I have no issues with that whatsoever.

Gear sale or swap: I think this is a GREAT idea. If you want to bring gear to sell, have at it.

OK, the demo setup:

I can set up, probably 3 quality demo rooms. 1 can double as a 2ch / HT setup.

As far as rigs,

I can do the Carver Amazings in the man cave / SDA SRS 2.3tl's in the main room / Lsi's 9's in third

As far as amplification, I have quite a bit of Carver gear and so forth.

If you want to bring gear, bring it on. I will probably be able to borrow a CJ MV60 tube amp and/or Jolida tube integrated. Possibly a pair of Totem Staff's. MAYBE a pair of Maggie 1.6's.

As far as the gear, talk it up and let's see what we can come up with.

Troy
I plan for the future. - F1Nut
Post edited by TroyD on

Comments

• hotwheelman
    hotwheelman Posts: 1,300
    edited June 2004
    Hey, lets call it polktoberfest.:D I am planning on being there, not sure if the rest of the clan will be in tow or not but should have a better idea on that soon. I will plan on bringing the h.k. 525, my one of a kind Tenn. Sound Co. speaks that were made here in my hometown in the 80's, and I may have a pair of monitor 10's that I can bring as well. Any other bring alongs have yet to be determined, may bring the adcom 545 II if nobody else is bringing one.

My bud that I am working for now used to live there and may possibly be interested in making the journy as well if that is o.k.?
    Cannot wait to meet with you guys, I am sure it will be a blast.

Later,
    Mike
    "Its worked so far but we're not out yet."
    "Hey big man let me hold a dollar"
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited June 2004
    I will be there for sure. I've got the calendar marked. The wife may want to come as she loves to visit Charleston, but this is up in the air. I would be glad to bring any of the following gear for the demo rooms.

Rt55i
    Rt25i
    Large Advents (1979 versions)
    NAD C270 Stereo Amp
    Cambridge Audio D500SE CDP

Maybe a pair of RT400 floorstanders if the deal goes through.

Any...all...whatever...just let me know what to bring.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited June 2004
    I'm in...along with F1Nut. I think he mentioned bringing the NHT's.

Doro's traveling companions:

CTC BBQ
    MIT S3 Interconnects/ Speaker Cable
    Dixie Blackened Voodoo Beer :D
    Vaseline
    Various Condoms

I will also arrange some items to be given away in some blind drawings.

Look forward to seeing everyone.

I will get in touch with you formally via email Troy.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • shack
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by dorokusai

Doro's traveling companions:

Dixie Blackened Voodoo Beer :D
    Vaseline
    Various Condoms

I may have to rethink this....I'm definitely avoiding the voodoo beer and will be staying elsewhere!

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • hotwheelman
    hotwheelman Posts: 1,300
    edited June 2004
    You got me worried mark. VooDoo beer? :confused: Now thats a new one on me. I prefer some sam adams or george kill, but never with vas. and condos.:D If I can come up with some 6bq5 tubes and a variac I will bring my vintage knight amp.
    "Its worked so far but we're not out yet."
    "Hey big man let me hold a dollar"
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    edited June 2004
    I wish I could go...

No ride though, sigh...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • dorokusai
    edited June 2004
    If anyone has something vintage and/or unique....please think about bringing it. This will be a great chance for you to see some gear that you never have, all in one place.

Hotwheelpimp - Definetly bring that SOB!

Shackdaddy - I will leave the party favors in the car :D
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited June 2004
    Count me in gentlemen!

If there's anyone in the area that wants to climb aboard with me in my Explorer, then please do so. Coming down from Baltimore.

Mark and Jesse, not sure what your travel plans are. Perhaps we can get a convoy going. With all your equipment in tow, looks like 1 vehicle won't be enough.

I'll most likely look at a motel close by since I may want to stay an extra day or 2. Anyone else looking at a motel, then lets do Troy's suggestion and get a group rate.

I won't have any equipment to bring. Seems like everyone already has what I have. I can however bring some fine wines from the Maryland Vineyards. I'm quite sure the ladies at the very least would enjoy some. I'll also have my digital camera in tow.

Gonna be fun!

John
    No excuses!
  • Strong Bad
    edited June 2004
    Sean:

Sorry, can't remember, but where do you live?

I'll be coordinating with Mark and Jesse (Dorokusai & F1Nut) about our travel plans in the comings weeks/months.

Troy, I'm thinking it's about 8 hours to your place from Baltimore, right? Just trying to get my bearings straight.

John
    No excuses!
  • dorokusai
    edited June 2004
    John- I'll email you tonight.....it would be simply more cost effective to take one vehicle...if you are the vehicle. It's not that much stuff, but I can't fit 3 people and this gear in the A4. Blah blah, I'll email you :) We need to pick up Micah also.....

Take a freaking allergy pill Sean! This is NOT to be missed!

Any, EAST COAST especially, Polkie that does not take the time to attend, even for a couple hours, will have their name changed to "Bose Fanatic" ;) Just kidding.....maybe.
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited June 2004
    Any, EAST COAST especially, Polkie that does not take the time to attend, even for a couple hours, will have their name changed to "Bose Fanatic" ;) Just kidding.....maybe.
    LOL ... maybe I'll have to change the location in my listing ... Careful tho S-Man is on the east coast ... but then again, if he shows up maybe he could be the benefactor of some "education" ...
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited June 2004
    Hmmm,
    SC huh? Doro, Jesse or John, how far of a drive is that from MD? MX, I thought you lived around there. Don't you have a thumb? (I know you got a finger...) :D

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited June 2004
    I'll be there. Vintage gear in tow. If it gets a listen that's cool. If not, hey I won't have to hook and unhook it. I look forward to meeting everybody. Well, maybe some of you.:)
    Make it Funky! :)
  • dorokusai
    edited June 2004
    Max - I sent you an email, work that is....give us a shout, we need to hook up for this man. Easy drive, and we will stop at "South of the Border" for Polk pics :D

Everything will gets ears, don't worry Gidrah.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited June 2004
    Chuck, it's around 8 hours of drive time. Flying in is also a option. It's a beautiful city right on the Atlantic and rich in history, you need to go.

If all of us MD boys go we'll have to take two cars or maybe some of us can fly.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    edited June 2004
    I'm not flying period, not after that "extra" security check I had to go through because I fit a "profile".

When did Redneck get into the terrorist database?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited June 2004
    Whatever......

If it were up to me I wouldn't let you anyhere near a plane. :D
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• madmax
    edited June 2004
    8 hours isn't too bad. Not too good either but not too bad. Fly with Doro? Are you kidding? Does he use a plane? :D

This is something to consider for sure. I'll check at work and see if I can get a run down of activities around then. Our big product of the century comes out for a show in early Oct so I'll have to see if my part is going to be drug through the mud or not. Sure would like to meet up with Troy and the others.

madmax

• warviper
    warviper Posts: 585
    edited June 2004
    :(:( Damn east coast. And all the Texans. Cant we get some north west thing going.
    Wish I was a polkologist then I could call my self Dr.warviper.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited June 2004
    Hear, hear!

I just checked for the halibut on flights from Washington state to Charleston, SC ummmm doesn't look like i'll be joining you boyz for that. cheapest flight is $692 round trip.

sounds like fun guys.. i'd be there if it was affordable.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited June 2004
    From Seattle, Washington to Charleston, South Carolina is about 2930 miles :eek: :eek: :eek:
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Strong Bad
    edited June 2004
    Mark:

Hows about stopping by South of the Border for a little more than pics.

I'm thinking some Boom Booms! Fireworks anyone! :D

John
    No excuses!
  • TroyD
    edited June 2004
    OK, for the Baltimore guys......

It's about 600 miles, once you get south of DC, it's a nearly straight shot all interstate. It took me 10 hrs to get from Jesse's house to mine (and I'm not a fast driver).

Far as the gear goes, Hey, bring what you like and we'll try to get to it. IF it looks like we are going to have THAT much gear, hell, I can even see about setting up rigs in the third spare room or even the garage.

danger, keep an eye on the airfares. Charleston is going to get a discount carrier soon and they are expecting fares to drop accross the board.

Also, I'm getting ready to head back to the desert next week so I'll be on and off here so as issues arise, post 'em here and I'll get to them as I can.

BDT
  • Grimster74
    Grimster74 Posts: 2,564
    edited June 2004
    Hell, I might just be in on that one myself. May have to see if F1Nut and Mark can spare the extra room. Not exactly sure what I can bring along but I'm sure I can find something.:D
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
  • TroyD
    edited June 2004
    On the house,

I do not smoke. I have a 16x16 deck on the back of the house for those that want to smoke or the garage, that's about my only rule.

Pets, I do have a cat and a dog but they will not be there for the Polkfest, I will have them at my sisters place for the weekend.

BDT
  • madmax
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by TroyD
    On the house,

I do not smoke. I have a 16x16 deck on the back of the house for those that want to smoke or the garage, that's about my only rule.

BDT

Those are pretty loose rules! So we can have **** fighting in the family room, prostitutes lap dancing in the kitchen, water balloon fights in the hallways and can all bring our cats, dogs, snakes, pigs and sheep?

madmax

• shack
    edited June 2004
    Easy drive, and we will stop at "South of the Border" for Polk pics :D
    This alone is worth the price of a road trip. I feel sorry for those who have never had the pleasure to drive up or down I-95 to see all of Pedro's billboards!
    1027-100606.jpg

• TroyD
    edited June 2004
    Well, use your best judgement but my other rule is:

You break it, you bought it!

BDT
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited June 2004
    This is NOT to be missed!

Well, I'm sorry but I'm going to have to miss this. Mainly because, unless recent financial setbacks prove to be too burdensome to overcome in time and I have to push it back, October 9th, 2004 is the day I am getting married.

It's a shame too. I have some gear that is very impressive and I know the Lightning would make a believer out of ALOT of you car audio skeptics. But oh well, maybe next time.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    edited June 2004
    sorry a lil to far most canucks here........it seems like a great time be sure of lots of pics !!!