Delighting audiophiles

wjbertrand
wjbertrand Posts: 11
edited March 2002 in Music & Movies
I've been told that the album "The Nightfly" by Donald Fagan is classic with respect to it's fidelity. I recently decided to pick up a copy and was surprised to find that it was made back in 1982! After listening to it I am impressed, nice clean and rich sounding. I'm thinking that this might be a good CD to bring with you when shopping for audio components. Any thoughts?

-Jeff
-Jeff
Post edited by wjbertrand on

Comments

• Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited March 2002
    "The Nightfly" is one of my favorite albums. I love it in the context of Steely Dan, too; as they grow thru "Aja" and "Gaucho" into a more streamlined, electronic retro-jazz futura-lounge band.

And more recently, with his second solo album 10 years later, "Kamakiriad," bringing "Nightfly" and Steely Dan back together (resulting in "Two Against Nature"), I really think that Donald Fagan is a musical genius. I am in touch with his twisted musical vision.

If you liked "Nightfly," check out "Kamakiriad." It's weird, and very very dark, but give it some time and it grows on you. It's pretty cool.

I can't confirm it, but I believe there is a "remastered" or "audiophile" (multichannel, DVD-A or SACD?) version of "The Nightfly" floating around in the market. Does anyone know anything about this?
    They're mixing with the population
    A virus wearing pumps and pearls
    Lord help the lonely guys
    Hooked by those hungry eyes
    Here come Tomorrow's Girls...
    (from "Tomorrow's Girls" on "Kamakiriad")

Ouch!

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney