b
Post edited by dan t on

Comments

• presidan
    presidan Posts: 116
    edited March 2002
    Options
    That is the eternal debate.............
    The only thing i can say on this one is go with what sounds better to you.
    I prefer fiber but that is only because i have been using it since day one.
    RT2000i
    F/X1000
    CS400i
    DENON AVR-3802
    PIONEER PDP 4360-HD 43"
  • pdebaum
    pdebaum Posts: 59
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Sonically it shouldn't make a difference. Most hard-core audiophiles want to believe there is a sonic difference but they're just full of it ;) (dons flame suit).
    The transport in the low frequency digital signals is mostly transparent unless you have some serious issues in the evironment they're run through or in the hardware hooked up to both ends of either cable. Anyway, choice is ultimately yours and your ears. The differences that matter are price, reliability and your setup accomodations.
    The cheaper digital coax can in theory pick up interferences but your really need one mother of strong electromagnetic field to really have an effect on the low frequency digital pulses.
    Optical cables are costlier than coax and are more fragile; they can break more easily if you bend them unnaturally, for example.
    That's basically it. Use what's best for you.
  • wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited March 2002
    Options
    i find it funny that some guys say that toslink cables break more easily then coax. what are you people doing to them? i use both
    toslink for my dvd conection and coax for my cd player connection
    i hook them up and leave them. unless you **** with them all the time how do they break?:confused:

scott:cool:
  • dean/klipschead
    dean/klipschead Posts: 295
    edited March 2002
    Options
    i think it has something to do with socks but i'm not sure
    Dean
    Quicksilver M-60 monoblocks - JM 200 Peach Linestage - Sony DVP-S9000ES - '03 modified Klipschorns

"I'm sure it's better than it sounds."-- Mark Twain, when asked what he thought about Wagner's music
  • wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited March 2002
    Options
    something

scott:cool:
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited March 2002
    Options
    i wold go with coax it has tne most bang for the buck just like my polks
  • ChrisDurano
    ChrisDurano Posts: 372
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Go with coax.......I think you get more bandwith and its less expensive. Plus, you'd probably have to go with at least 2meters of optical to get the best performance...which will cost you even more.
    Home Speakers polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired), CSi30, FX3000i, PSW250

Car speakers polkaudio EX 369, DB 650
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Somewhere I read Toslinks, with the excepton of real glass fiber optics, can't carrythe full bandwidth. I can't find it now to paste. Transparet only make TOS in Hi.Po. not their Reference or Reference XL.

From Transparent
    High Performance 75 Ohm Digital Link.
    High Performance 75 Ohm Digital Link
    Replacing your original digital interconnect with this high quality link will significantly enhance the purity of all your digital signals. Our carefully manufactured air foam dielectric results in low noise, for cleaner transmission of your source information. A heavy solid core center conductor provides low noise, increased surface area for delicate digital signals. Two braided shields separated by insulation and a foil shield prevent noise pollution. Gold plated coaxial RCAs (360° shield contact) or instrument grade, gold contact BNCs create a superior impedance match at the termination to reduce jitter.
    High Performance TosLink
    High Performance TosLink is designed for high resolution Toslink optical digital applications. With its precision polished termination, Transparent TosLink accurately transfers high speed optical signals to provide a more richly detailed and textured musical experience. The metal casing around the Toslink connector protects the termination by providing proper strain relief and support. The soft jacket material that encases the delicate optical fiber prevents damage from bending, flexing or pinching.
    Chris :)
  • dougg
    dougg Posts: 8
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Coax is more vulnerable to interference. Fiber can be run for long lengths then coax.
  • fabian1
    fabian1 Posts: 218
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Dan I have found the coax, provided its of hi quality cable sounds brighter than the toshlink, Japanese gimmick. I have noticed also that some high end dvd players are in fact dropping the toshlink connections from thier players...... Regards Fabian
    The Wonder From Downunder
  • dan t
    dan t Posts: 206
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Hey, thanks for the replies. I see from the replies that It's a subject which varies in opinion. My Sony ES CD player only has a Toslink Digital Output plus the analog RCA's. No coax connection allowed. I did notice however that on the Sony DVP-S9000ES Reference DVD/CD/SACD player (with progressive scan) still has both Toslink and Coaxial connections. I guess the future of high end SACD and DVD players will determine which output is ultimately the best.
  • dougg
    dougg Posts: 8
    edited March 2002
    Options
    FYI: I just reread my Sony receiver manual last night. It recommends using the coax connection over the fiber…

Go figure..

Doug