Guy who had RT55i mounted on RT2000s

sgtgto
sgtgto Posts: 310
edited March 2002 in Technical/Setup
Hi:

Who was it that had RT55s mounted on top of the RT2000s. I am considering this. I like the RT2000s but I believe the extra speakers would give me a much fuller sound overall.

Gary
Post edited by sgtgto on

Comments

• lax01
    lax01 Posts: 496
    edited March 2002
    That doesn't sound plausable. The way I see it: wouldn't the two tweeters cancel each other out and have a very flat sounding high end? This resulting in unpleasant listening? I may be wrong. Btw, if this is real, I would like to see some pictures.
    :)
  • OrangeToupee
    OrangeToupee Posts: 488
    edited March 2002
    It's real, I've seen the pictures and I want to say that it was Trapped Under Ice who had this setup. I'm not sure that they were mounted, so much as they were resting atop. I could have this confused, but I have seen the pictures.
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited March 2002
    yuppers...guilty as charged!. I have the 55i's sitting on my 2000i's. (acutaly..there is a mouse pad between the two).... and I might say... the improvement was big!. since I shot the pics..I have turned the 55i's upside down..and now the tweeters are in the center...I'm trying this out for a bit.. I dont see any real difference by doing that!

I'm running..right now a yammie 795a.. wich I'm running the 2000's off the "A" and the 55i's off the "B" channel. I'm currently thinking about a 4ohm amp for them and run them parallel to and just running 2 channel... debating that also!

It is amazing what the 55i's add to the "full-ness" of the stage and depth. I wonder what just adding 35i's would do...or even 25is'..since the tweeters all match.

My pics at the bottom as usual.. good luck..Thomas
  • sgtgto
    edited March 2002
    Hi TUI:

I was thinking about the 4ohm parallel also. Using the RT55s opened up your soundstage didn't it! Speakers these days just don't have enough drivers to suit me and I believe this would help.

I was going to set them on top with an insulator between like a mouse pad or the equialent.

Thanks for the response.
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited March 2002
    it definatly makes a big difference... I think someone else in here mentioned putting 35i's on thier 1000i's and liked it also
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited March 2002
    i tried 35i's on my 800's and really liked the results. i have to admit, i was inspired by TUI's pics. right now the rt35i's are pulling rear duty, but if i can get them replaced w/ f/x500's or rt55i's, they are going to the front with the 800's. pairing the 35i's with the 800 really brought a crispness to the higher mids and his. i was very happy with the results. i can just imagine the rt2000/55 combo...:D
  • lax01
    lax01 Posts: 496
    edited March 2002
    TUI: That is amazing! Can you listen to both at the same time or is that what the parallel amping will do?

BTW, don't you think it is time for a upgrade in Receiver?

:D
  • OrangeToupee
    OrangeToupee Posts: 488
    edited March 2002
    Can he listen to them at the same time? You mean the 2000i's and 55i's? If so, then yes, they're both fronts running A & B.
  • sgtgto
    edited March 2002
    Hi:

I'm not talking A & B. I'm talking parallel which would probably be a 4 Ohm load. I have a B&K 200X3 amp so that should be interesting. Also a Denon 4802 and lots of other goodies.

I will have to get my system up before long.

Gary
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited March 2002
    right now...I'm running "a" and "b".. however..I'm looking at some amps to run (use my yammie as a pre-pro) 4ohms and run them parallel to drop them to a 4ohm load..and eventualy run them that way.

It will work either way. What I want..is the amps I'm looking at will do 240 clean per channel in 2ohm .. they are Odyssey amps.

but for right now..my yammie is doing great. one thing about the Yammie..is I get everything a/b... not like my pioneer wich I can only get "a" while in dolby mode :(
  • kanicker
    kanicker Posts: 86
    edited March 2002
    How do you run speakers in parallel? If I obtained a 4ohm amp, coul I run 2 pairs of 8ohm speakers?

Can you recommend a way of doing this? Or just point me in the right direction to some info....

Thanks!
  • sgtgto
    edited March 2002
    Hi:

You don't need a 4 ohm amp to run two speakers in parallel as long as it will handle a 4 ohm load and a lot of them will. The amp will have a power rating in 8 ohms and 4 ohms.

To connect two speakers in parallel just connect the plus on speaker 1 to plus on speaker two, connect negative on speaker one to negative on speaker two, then connect to receiver or amp.

Gary
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited March 2002
    what about potting a rt 10 on a 800i ??????
  • sgtgto
    edited March 2002
    Hi:

The skies the limit. How about side by side RT2000s, 1000s, 800s.
    Really would open up your sound stage. The problem I have with speakers today is they don't have enough drivers. One 6.5 and a tweeter don't cut it. I believe the balanced size and quality speaker should have 4=6.5 mids, 2=tweeters and a 15" low bass, and have at least 200 Watts driving it. I don't know why all the companies went to two or three drivers and expect earth shaking results. Just won't happen.

Quality sound reproduction requires moving large amounts of air and the more movement the better. I don't care what kind of cabinet you design or what shape it is in it still requires movement of air to produce sound. Take this example, sit in front of one trumpet, one guitar. Then sit in front of eight trumpets, eight guitars. Very big difference. Why, bigger and broader sound.
    Oh, the color, staging, and clarity may be there but the immense presence and overwhelming force will be missing, no matter who makes the speaker.

I believe speaker manufactures sold the audio world a bill of goods when they pushed fewer is better. It is cheaper for them but it is certainly not better.

To be fair and balanced, I want to add that speaker manufactures have to provide what the public wants and right now a large percentile want smaller speakers. I just wish that someone would make one for the multi-driver crowd. I also want to add that I honestly don't think Polk can be beat up to two times the price.

Gary
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited March 2002
    When I bought my first pair of M12s, I was told to stack them tweeter to tweeter for best imageing.
    Chris :)
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited March 2002
    here it is guys http://thomas2307.homestead.com/thomaswold.html you mite have to go to home theater forum to get it the guys name is thomas a; click on speakers look for the 2nd. bose post and you will find his post and web site with pic.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited March 2002
    Chris..I have since turned the speaker..the 55i..upside down to put them tweeter to tweeter...and to tell ya the truth... It did not make any difference. Its a little brighter at ear level... but thats it.

It does not image any better...but this could also be limitation of my yammie.. definatly want some more juice..and cleaner juice (power)
  • sgtgto
    edited March 2002
    Hey TUI:

I believe I am going to get a pair of RT800s to set alongside my RT2000s. That will keep the projection at ear level, provide a stand, as well as enhanced bass.

Gary
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited March 2002
    sgtgto... I had 1000's prior to my 2000's and ran my 800's with them..and it sounded killer also... one polk = good... mas= excellent ;) good luck
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited March 2002
    I think that was more the point for the imageing keepig the tweeters at ear level and letting the mids fill the room. It was 12 years ago and I don't remember the whole conversation. I also have 600 watts going to each M12 which could make the differance. As TUI said cleaner and more power.
    Chris :)
  • brichard
    brichard Posts: 5
    edited March 2002
    Can't resist replying.
    Thought I was the only one out there.

Have a new pair of 2000i's.
    And an older pair or Monitor 10's on stands.
    Driven by an older Yamaha (RXV 650).

The 2000i's sound fantastic.
    But seemed to be missing something.
    Hooked up the monitor 10's as "B" fronts.

The sound is improved 100%

The 2000i's handle bass and highs like the Monitors never could.
    But they were lacking in the mid-range.
    Listen to a lot of acoustic, pipe organ, harpsicord, etc.

After hooking up the Monitor 10's, it's the most impressive sound I've ever had.

Fuller, richer, etc., ......

Now for getting that new reveiver that can drive both sets.

b
  • ncstatesman
    ncstatesman Posts: 145
    edited March 2002
    I have an Onkyo 898 w/7 channels and I just bought a new pair of 35i's at CC , so . . . if I want to stack my 35i's atop my 800i's, then all i need to do is run spkr wires from my unused 6th and 7th channels to the 35i's , right?
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited March 2002
    Those would be considered surround channels and not main channels though. Probably would not sound right.
  • sgtgto
    edited March 2002
    Hi:

Run them in parallel off of the 800s.

gary
  • ncstatesman
    edited March 2002
    Scott, sgtgto, thanks, but not sure about parellel . . by this do you mean . . . .

Rcvr Left Front =============>800i
    ==================>35i

Rcvr Right Front spkr out=============>800i
    ==================>35i

Just want to make sure . . . sorry if I didn;t understand
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited March 2002
    ncstatesman - wire from the postive left front output on the receiver to the postive left front binding post on rt800i; from postive left front binding post on rt800i to the postive left front binding post on rt35i. the (-) connections are made respectively the same. wire the right speaker the same respectively...

this will yield a 4 ohm load on your receiver.
  • ncstatesman
    edited March 2002
    ohhh. . . . I'll have to think about the 4ohms - Onkyo 898 allows you to select 6 and 8 ohms - not sure how it's like the 4ohm load . . .thanks anyway, it's something to play around with later on . . .
  • sgtgto
    edited March 2002
    Hi:

Set the receiver to 6 ohm and go with it.

Gary