Receiver question

gregure
gregure Posts: 871
edited May 2004 in Troubleshooting
To whomever would know:
I'm thinking of buying one of those new Sony Digital Receivers, the ES line. I'd like to get the one that has S-Video up-conversion, but it is 150 watts per channel. I know my front speakers can handle it, but I'm not sure about the backs. Rti 4 and FXi 3's. Can they handle 150 watts, or will I blow them out? 150 is 25 watts above the recommended maximum for the smaller speakers. I do like it loud sometimes, although not unreasonably loud. My current settings are: Front L/R-large, all the rest small, crossover set to 60 Hz. Is there a better setting to reduce the likelyhood of a blowout? How do these receivers perform with the Polk speakers, anyone know? Thanks.
Current System:

Mitsubishi 30" LCD LT-3020 (for sale**)
Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Concert Grand (Rosewood)-Mains (with Audioquest Mont Blanc cables)
CSi5-Center (for sale**)
FXi3-surrounds (for sale**)
Martin Logan Depth-Sub
B&K AVR 507
Pimare CD21-CD Player
Denon 1815-DVD Player
Panamax M5500-EX-Line Conditioner
Post edited by gregure on

Comments

• nemos2
    nemos2 Posts: 111
    edited May 2004
    gregure

25 watts above specs should not be a problem at all. I would not worry about it. Wait for a few more replies, but I am sure that most people will tell you no big deal.

nemos2
    Polk LSi 15 Fronts
    Polk LSi C center
    Polk LSiFX Surrounds
    Outlaw Audio 990 Pre/Pro
    Outlaw Audio 755 amp
    Paradigm PDR-12 Sub
    Outlaw Audio Cables
    BetterCables Cables
  • gregure
    gregure Posts: 871
    edited May 2004
    My mistake. The FXi 3's can actually take 150 watts, it's just the Rti 4 I'd have to worry about. Probably have to buy another one anyway to upgrade from 6.1 to 7.1.
    Current System:

Mitsubishi 30" LCD LT-3020 (for sale**)
    Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Concert Grand (Rosewood)-Mains (with Audioquest Mont Blanc cables)
    CSi5-Center (for sale**)
    FXi3-surrounds (for sale**)
    Martin Logan Depth-Sub
    B&K AVR 507
    Pimare CD21-CD Player
    Denon 1815-DVD Player
    Panamax M5500-EX-Line Conditioner
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited May 2004
    Before you buy one of those you should check this out.

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=19146

Looks like they are a real POS.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk