New player on the field, AudioPhile Linux

Options
EndersShadow
EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
edited January 2013 in Going Digital
Might have to take a look at this myself...

http://www.ap-linux.com/

Real Time Kernel
Pre installed, custom Real Time Linux kernel is included in AP-Linux distribution. Audio processing, with specially designed and compiled RT kernel, is the first priority of the distribution. Only the digital music playback is considered as the main process.

Learn More Bit Perfect Audio
The transport and the processing of the sound is essential. The music that comes from your source files (flac, wav, etc…) can now travel with greater speed and efficiency to your sound card. Often with latencies lower than 10ms.

Learn More It’s Easy To Use
Make your PC ultimate music player. It’s easy. It’s not complicated. It’s like running ordinary desktop machine Linux, Mac or Windows that you are using every day. But now on stereoids underneath for music perfection.

Audiophile Linux is operating system created for quality audio reproduction. It’s created by audiophiles for audiophiles, and it’s absolutely free. It plays perfect right after the installation with latency less than 10ms.

Just install it like any other GNU/Linux distribution and enjoy the music. Audiophile Linux comes with everything you need for playing your audio and video files.

Audiophile Linux comes with:

System and memory optimized for audio perfection
Custom Real-Time kernel version 2.6.10
Lightweight window manager
Pre installed audio and video programs
Lightweight OS, unnecessary daemons and services are removed

Standard Linux distributions are designed for running servers or for desktop usage. This distribution is designed only for quality audio. So we have removed unnecessary services and daemons that comes with standard Linux, because they have effect on audio quality. For example, in standard Linux distributions you have printing and some other network services running in background. These services use your CPU and memory, and they are not necessary for audio reproduction. You don’t need printing drivers and services for playing music. Because of that, we have removed all unnecessary software from this distribution that can degrade audio.

This distribution comes with lightweight XFCE desktop environment and highly configurable and low resource X11 window manager called Fluxbox. XFCE is easier to use, but Fluxbox is more faster, lighter and less resource demanding. It’s my choice for more than seven years now.
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
Post edited by EndersShadow on

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited January 2013
    Options
    My only question is if it will work with USB DAC's or not...... or if it even has any benefits when used in conjunction with them.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Only one way to find out...
  • wayne3burk
    wayne3burk Posts: 939
    edited January 2013
    Options
    yeah i'm downloading it - I'll try running it in oracle virtualbox
    Yamaha RX-V2700, EMI 711As (front), RCA K-16 (rear), Magnavox Console (Center & TV Stand), Sony SMP-N200 media streamer, Dual 1249 TT =--- Sharp Aquas 60" LCD tellie