rt1000's on steroids

scottvamp
scottvamp Posts: 3,277
edited March 2002 in Technical/Setup
I have been at a comfortable point in my HomeTheater and haven't done much improving. This may have been talked about before, But I got bored today and decided to take my rt25i's in my living room setup and stack them on top of my rt1000's in my HT room. I ran a short speaker wire from my 1000's to the 25's on top. This was to improve my 2 channel exper.
I must say I was really impressed with the new sound. My 1000's always seemed to be missing something in the mid range. At high levels seemed to get muddy. Now they are much more powerful. Seem to have a much fuller freq. responce. Sound a little more detailed at lower and higher volume. They have a buffer look also. The rt55's would be almost an exact match but the rt25's give me different freq. adding a fuller range.
Has anyone tryed this and what did you think?
Now that the sets are sharing a load I beleive I am only changing the ohm's and my Onkyo appears to have no problem handeling this. Is this correct?
This seems to be an inexpensive option to buying new towers for me. What are your guys thoughts and opinions on this?
:cool:
Post edited by scottvamp on

Comments

• trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited March 2002
    Had my rt25i's atop my 1000's for a couple of months, too lazy to mount them on the wall.
    They carried the "front effect" signal of my yamaha receiver.
    Can't say I tried them in a 2 channel set-up though.
    The 25's are a amazingly full sounding little speaker. Different tweeter, and driver than the 1000's.
    I know what you mean about the thinner midrange of the 1000's, I run a set of 800's on B-side to fill out midrange for music.

-luc
  • Firerider58
    Firerider58 Posts: 95
    edited March 2002
    I listened to some 25's when I was looking for some surrounds. Nice liitle units, and I can see where they would fill out some mid-range and high sound's. Damn!! Now you've gone and gave me another idea!! Just when I thought I was done! Will it ever end??

Ron
  • johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited March 2002
    I was feeling this pinch too on the 1000s. They made movie tracks golden, but on music, which is about 40% of my listening, they didn't quite fill it out. So yesterday I traded them in for 800s. I was thinking about it for some time, and came to the conclusion that eventually I will get a nice big sub, and having the 1000s would be overkill in the bass area, while neglecting the mids. I was extremely happy after bringing them home...I put on some Massive Attack, Radiohead, and Miles Davis. They do have a lot more in the mid that you tend to miss when demoing at CC :rolleyes:

And suprisingly, the 800s hit some great lows...the bass on those guys are not bad...not subwoofer levels, but 35Hz is low enough for a tower. With a 3-6Hz difference in the bottom end from the 1000s, I'm pretty satisfied. Saved $130 too!

I'm thinking of picking up some 35s for the surrounds....but I have to get rid of my vintage JBLs first.

john
  • scottvamp
    edited March 2002
    I beleive the tweet's on the 25's are pretty close to the same on my 1000's. I will keep this setup for awhile and do somemore evaluating. Movies on Tuesday. Also after reading another thread I cut two sheets of half inch wood about 15x15"---painted and sanded. Placed them underneath the 1000's---more stability and the bass seems to be stronger. With the down firing woof's the carpet was absorbing some of the bass.
    This seems to help and it looks OK too. ;)
  • scottvamp
    edited March 2002
    Ok my thread is falling behind. Where are the tech. experts at? What are tech. aspects of stacking these two speakers on the same channel load. other than predictions on sound because they sound pretty good. Bring it!:D
  • scottvamp
    edited March 2002
    Oh I found the thread that you guys were talking about this and that is probably what got me thinking about it. Anyway I really am enjoying this set. It rocks! :D
  • johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited March 2002
    Well, I know that Onkyo does not recommend connecting two seperate speakers on the same channel...but I've never tried it. Would this cut your power in half to each speaker? Would there be crossover problems? Have you tried running two lengths of wire directly from the reciever, and note the difference? I'm wondering if I could do this with my surrounds, I have a pair of vintage 12" that are acting only as stands to another pair...I could hook them both through like this....
  • scottvamp
    edited March 2002
    I have alot of tech questions myself but the set up I am trying now works very well. I don't think that there is a reciever or amp on the market that suggest hooking two speakers to one channel. But if your amp can handel lower ohms than it should not be a problem. I do not have seperate wires running into my reciever they are parellel with the 1000 into the 25's. Sounds great! :D
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited March 2002
    If you're wiring the 25's to the 1000's in parallel, then you're presenting the amp a (roughly) 4 Ohm load. As long as the receiver or amp can handle that, then you're OK. If it's only rated for 8 or 6 Ohms, then you might be on thin ice. Basically you're asking for twice as much current from the amp as you would be with only one set of speakers connected. Which will make it get hotter...

Most OLDER stereo receivers paralleled the speakers if you switched on the "A" and "B" pairs at the same time. Most newer ones either won't let you switch two sets (on the same channel) on at the same time, or use some other method of lowering the overall power output to protect the amp. Power amps are a different story. Most are designed for 4 Ohm loads, or even less.

Jason
  • scottvamp
    edited March 2002
    Thanks for the info Jason. I will double check my recievers manual and see what it says about ohm loading. :)
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited March 2002
    scott..Ive been running 55i's on top my 2000i's for a while..and your right... it like putting speakers on steroids...
    have fun..
    Thomas