Phoenix Gold Xenon

Options
mister pig
mister pig Posts: 28
edited January 2013 in Car Audio & Electronics
Curious to know how these amps hold up to whats out there in the current market. I installed the 1200 watt subwoofer amp and 100 by 4 amp in a car several years ago, when these amps came onto the market. I never paid a lot of attention to what car audio was doing after that, so I am not current on that state of the hobby.

Curious to know how these amps are still regarded, and do they have any following or even value? I may sell the car, and am considering what to do with them.

Thoughts/Opinions?

Regards
Mister Pig
Post edited by mister pig on

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,388
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Hello, mister pig. PG acquired the Carver corporation and tried to make a run of it. IIRC, they didn't last many more years than the amount of fingers you have on one hand. Of all of the feedback I have ever read about, most of it wasn't very positive and I don't recall them ever having a following.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mister pig
    mister pig Posts: 28
    edited January 2013
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Hello, mister pig. PG acquired the Carver corporation and tried to make a run of it. IIRC, they didn't last many more years than the amount of fingers you have on one hand. Of all of the feedback I have ever read about, most of it wasn't very positive and I don't recall them ever having a following.

Tom

Hi Tom

I just did a quick search, and discovered that PG has been bought by Aamp, and brought into their product line. Basically the end of another high end American car audio company. Seems like car audio does not have the spark that it did when i was in my 20's, in the 90's and early 2000. Hobby seems to be withering, from what I can see.

PG in the early years had a pretty good following in the PNW, and the West Coast in general I think. The TI series was always well regarded, and on par with the offerings of Zapco, Soundstream, PPI, and Orion. Funny all those companies have been bought and sold too. What a shame.

The Xenon was the first series that PG took overseas, and I never heard if they were thought to be the a step down, or on par with their earlier series products. They did build a cheaper line in the Octane series, as did many of the American companies did.

I run my amps in a 94 Mustang GT with 3 11" Focal subs, and Focal mids and highs. Use a 20 farad Titanium cap bank from PG, and have an Eclipse head unit. Actually miss my Alpine with digitial correction, someone needed it more than me, wish I had that one back.

Regards
    Mister Pig