Polk MOMO MM12

Options
djenkins_2k
djenkins_2k Posts: 10
edited May 2004 in Car Subwoofer Talk
Hola, I've been reading for a few days and found out the hard way that the MM12's need to be burned-in. I had two of them. The first one arrived, looked ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL - I could just sit and stare at it - hooke dit up and BZZZT! Blown!

I thought, what the h*ll was that??? No sound - nothing. I sent it back to the retailer who is currently refunding my money. the one that blew was 1 of a pair. the second half of that pair hasn't been installed yet. I want to get some feedback from you guys that have had this sub for a while.

Q1: How should I burn it in?
Q2: How much power are you guys pushing?

Here is my Car and System.

1999 Lexus GS300 Standard Battry and Alternator.

_Alpine CDA-7897 CD/MP3/XM Head Unit

_Dual Kicker KX-600.4 600watt amps
* One amp is set to 75watts per channel x 4
* One amp is bridged for 300watts per channel x 2)

_Polk db6500 components speakers with Polk db Crossover (Front)

_Polk db650 coaxial speakers (Rear)

_All Stinger Interconnects

_4 gauge Stinger power wire from the battery (80amp fuse)

_4 gauge Stinger ground wire.

_Un-fused distribution blocks to 12 inches of 8AWG wire to the amps

Any and all feedback is GREATLY appreciated!
Polk db6500 [front]
Polk db650 [rear]
Polk MOMO MM12 [2]

PolkAudio RT600i [front]
PolkAudio CS245i
PolkAudio F/X300i [surround]
Post edited by djenkins_2k on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2004
    Options
    the first thing i would do is take out the unfused distro block and replace it with an fused distro block
    300 per mm12 right?
    the way i broke mine is was just keep the volume at around 15, moved it to 20 in a week, then 25, then 30...all in 1 week increments
    another way to do it is to adjust the gains in kind of the same way
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • djenkins_2k
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Yes, you're right Cody - they are getting 300W each. Hopefully 300W is enough to power them. What are you pushing?

Thanks for the advice - I think I'll start with the gain. I'll set it to 25%, which probably won't move much air at first, then 45%, then 65%.

One more question: Why should I switch to a fused distro? I was told NOT to use a fused block.
    Polk db6500 [front]
    Polk db650 [rear]
    Polk MOMO MM12 [2]

PolkAudio RT600i [front]
    PolkAudio CS245i
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    Options
    everytime i try and push the momos over their rated power theyve worked spectacular for about a year and then die on me without warning
    so id recommend 500 watts, no more
    youre probably on the low side power wise, but some of the guys at polk are running the same amount of watts that you are...so i guess youre fine...
    i just always like more power:D
    if im not mistaken, those amps take like a 75-80A fuse correct?
    and you have one 80amp fuse on your battery going to BOTH of these amps?
    i really dont know how you have not blown that fuse
    id put a 125A fuse in front of the battery, then put 80A fuses in a fused distro block
    who told you to not put a fused distro block?
    i love fuses...they can save you a lot of money...i always have one at the battery and one by the amp
    another advantage to having more fuses is it can be easier to find problems within your system...
    lets say for some reason you only need one amp on
    its a lot easier to take out a fuse at a distro block than it is to take your amp apart to disconnect the REM wire
    -Cody
  • djenkins_2k
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Your explanation of fuses makes perfect sense! Thanks again! I'll probably hook up the sub tomorrow while I wait for the other to arrive.

I look forward to being an active part of this forum :D For now, I'm off to find a fused ditro block!

Oh, yes the Kicker KX-600.4 has two 40A fuses per amp.
    Polk db6500 [front]
    Polk db650 [rear]
    Polk MOMO MM12 [2]

PolkAudio RT600i [front]
    PolkAudio CS245i
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    Options
    were looking forward to having you
    if you like to shop online, i found almost all of my wiring stuff at www.sounddomain.com
    brand names dont matter for this type of stuff
    id go with whatevers cheapest
    a distribution block is a distribution block...its a chunk of metal with a plastic cover...
    www.knukonceptz.com might have what youre looking for as well
    -Cody
  • djshamo
    djshamo Posts: 4
    edited May 2004
    Options
    like you guys...i too use momo speakers for bass...
    i have 2 12" in a seal box... with a 8002 planet audio amp... 400 per a channel. a perfect combination i would say... i too at first didnt know they had a break in period.... damage one speaker... it was replace.. but not i have another problem... the wire from the voice coil to the terminal broke... the first and second time i solder it together.... but everytime i do so the wire gets shorter... but the thing is the wire keeps breaking on the black speaker wire not on the wire that i solder.......not i give up... do anyone know how i can get this fix permently and would it be a good idea .. or should i just buy another speaker..

thanks
    dj shamo
  • djenkins_2k
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Hey DJ -

I've heard that these speakers do that but I haven't had them long enough to know a work-around. I'm sure someone will chime in to help you :).

Exalted - Heck yeah, if I don't need it today 0 everything I buy is online. I love ebay, sound domain, and crutchfield! As far as the distribution block, I didn't think the brand really mattered; like you said " A chunk of metal with a plastic cover" haha. I'll keep you posted.
    Polk db6500 [front]
    Polk db650 [rear]
    Polk MOMO MM12 [2]

PolkAudio RT600i [front]
    PolkAudio CS245i
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by djshamo
    like you guys...i too use momo speakers for bass...
    i have 2 12" in a seal box... with a 8002 planet audio amp... 400 per a channel. a perfect combination i would say... i too at first didnt know they had a break in period.... damage one speaker... it was replace.. but not i have another problem... the wire from the voice coil to the terminal broke... the first and second time i solder it together.... but everytime i do so the wire gets shorter... but the thing is the wire keeps breaking on the black speaker wire not on the wire that i solder.......not i give up... do anyone know how i can get this fix permently and would it be a good idea .. or should i just buy another speaker..

thanks
    its not under warranty anymore?
    -Cody
  • djshamo
    edited May 2004
    Options
    i think the warranty is over.3 years......so i dont have warranty on it anymore...
    dj shamo
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    Options
    call Polk and ask to talk to Kim Jasper
    he might be able to work something out with you
    -Cody
  • djshamo
    edited May 2004
    Options
    thanks cody.... will do first thing tomorrow...
    dj shamo
  • djshamo
    edited May 2004
    Options
    another quick thing... would any of you guys compare the polk audio 12 momo with the jl audio 12w6 v2. and another thing i notice with the polk, is that it cannot take too much power meaning it starts to flap........... at first i tried bridging my amp... but it was too much power for the polk. it plays pretty good but i would want it to sound a bit louder... i have a 2000 chevy suburban. and although the bass is lovely inside.. it's not that loud on the outside......... i like to have bass that travel...
    dj shamo
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited May 2004
    Options
    open the windows?? :p
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited May 2004
    Options
    The Polk MM12 isn't known for tremendous volume, but rather more on the sound quality side. At the $180 price point (Sounddomain) you can get louder boxed subs, but they'll have less Sound Quality.

Djenkins - Crutchfield is great for comparing speakers, etc., but they are generally overpriced. I look there just for comparisons and reviews, but then usually buy elsewhere.
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • djenkins_2k
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Hi Austin - Yup, Crutchfield is extremely overpriced but they have incredible deals. Like right now my head unit is on sale for 400.00 OFF!! I bought my XTC Baffles from crutchfield because I couldn't find them on eBay. Crutchfield has nice spec sheets too, I was able to see the Phantom Face mechanism before I bought it.

I have another question, that I may have to put in a new thread, but when I turn of my stereo the speakers pop. Is this due to inadequite power? The amps aren't shutting down properly? Grounding problems. Keep in mind the system is COMPLETELY silent at full volume. 3 pair of Stinger Hyper series cables directly from the head unit to the amps.
    Polk db6500 [front]
    Polk db650 [rear]
    Polk MOMO MM12 [2]

PolkAudio RT600i [front]
    PolkAudio CS245i
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    Options
    if its what im thinking of, a lot of peoples stereos do that, its just the amp shutting down
    no worries
    -Cody