preamps

Options
gmg
gmg Posts: 22
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
I'd like to know from the people who have moved from receivers to seperates if you think there was a change in what you had before. I'm currently running an Onkyo 787 through a B&K Ref 7250. While the sound is now much clearer, there seems to be a hole that I can't seem to put my finger on. Both in 2 channel and HT. I'm wondering if there is a mismatch between my gear that I'm overlooking. I was also thinking that my DVD player, Pioneer DV434 may also be in question. Some cd's get very distorted in the high range. Any comments would be appreciated. Gordo
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Gordo,
    Good to hear from you.

Without knowing the "hole" you are talking about, the only thing I can think of, is that SOMETIMES, when first exposed to it, the total absence of any grain or hash in between the notes can be a little disconcerting (that clarity you mentioned). To me, aside from the increased power issue and it's obvious benefits, the step up to a separate pre-amp is the reason for the loss of hash and crap. Receivers have too many things jammed inside them, working in too close a proximity to each other, NOT to have some sort of effect on absolute silence. This is why I feel receivers can never be used for critical listening. Recreational video, yes. Critical listening, no.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • gmg
    gmg Posts: 22
    edited August 2001
    Options
    George, thanks! I think you hit the nail on the head with my "hole". (probably wasn't the best choice of metaphors on this site) The lack of noise is exactly the term I was searching for. I never really thought of quiet in sound. Now another question for anybody. Opinions on the B & K Ref 30? Thanks, Gordo
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Older audio freaks will remember, and HAVE to admit, that noise was an integral part of the old listening experience. Any old vinyl users (perhaps even current users) who DID NOT place the stylus on the lead-in groove, and then adjust the volume control to the proper setting USING THE SURFACE NOISE AS A REFERENCE before the music started playing? I didn't think so.

A lot of people blew up their speakers the first time they ever played a compact disc on their systems. Start the disc, go for the volume control, total silence, go the volume control AGAIN, total silence, hey one more time on the volume control AND THEN the lens finishes it's job, and the system starts playing program material at a volume control setting it has never even been close to before. Goodbye speaks.

Gordo, you will have completely adapted to the "new" sound, when previously listenable rigs and systems are no longer so listenable. You'll see.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited August 2001
    Options
    I am saving my pennies for one, would love to have one or the Sunfire? both are a pretty good pile of cash.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited August 2001
    Options
    check out the Krell as well, they are pretty kool, except the price...:(