i dont know why but...

seabeerob213
seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
edited December 2012 in Video Games
it really bothers me when people who own the 360 slim say it has a solid state drive, it is not a solid stae, its a big flash drive, no different than and portable external hard drive for a computer, have you looked at how much an SSD costs? do you think microsoft would sell and xbox for 250 with a 250 gig SSD? that alone is around 200 dollars, and when the new 360 came out they were much much higher in price, again i dont know why it bugs me, just does
2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
Post edited by seabeerob213 on

Comments

• decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    edited December 2012
    Channel that negative energy to something worthwhile, like peace in the middle east!!!!!!!smiley_rotflmao.gif
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • seabeerob213
    edited December 2012
    no negative energy here, just my need to argue semantics
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • Tbone289
    Tbone289 Posts: 661
    edited December 2012
    no negative energy here, just my need to argue semantics

You do realize flash drives and SSD are both solid state, right? You might want to look up the definition of the term "solid state".
    its a big flash drive, no different than and portable external hard drive for a computer

An "external hard drive" typically is not solid state--it is a mechanical hard drive in a case with a USB, firewire, or similar interface. So yes, a large flash drive is different. Devices that store data on magnetic media are NOT solid state. Thumb drives, SD cards, etc. are solid state because they employ on-chip storage media.

I understand where you're coming from, but since you wanted to argue semantics...
    2.1: PC>Schiit Gungnir MB>Schiit Freya Noval>NAD C-270>Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1, HSU STF-2 5.1: HDMI Bitstream>Denon AVR-1910>polkaudio RTE55, CS350-LS, RT3, HSU STF-2, Visio M55-F0
  • seabeerob213
    edited December 2012
    Tbone289 wrote: »
    You do realize flash drives and SSD are both solid state, right? You might want to look up the definition of the term "solid state".

An "external hard drive" typically is not solid state--it is a mechanical hard drive in a case with a USB, firewire, or similar interface. So yes, a large flash drive is different. Devices that store data on magnetic media are NOT solid state. Thumb drives, SD cards, etc. are solid state because they employ on-chip storage media.

I understand where you're coming from, but I personally don't like the use of the term "SSD", when other technologies are also solid state, such as the flash storage you mentioned.

thats why i made a point to say a portable external, such as one of those about the size of and ipod thathas a usb cable, i know there are the large onesw that sit atop a desk and usually also have their own power supply, and agreed, stupid to call only one typ a solid state when there's more that fall into this category
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,089
    edited December 2012
    Tubes rule.:cheesygrin:
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Tbone289
    edited December 2012
    Tubes rule.:cheesygrin:

Indeed! :cheesygrin:
    thats why i made a point to say a portable external, such as one of those about the size of and ipod thathas a usb cable, i know there are the large onesw that sit atop a desk and usually also have their own power supply, and agreed, stupid to call only one typ a solid state when there's more that fall into this category

Interesting... I've never seen a flash device that meets that description. Of course, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Care to post a link? What you are describing sounds to me like an external 2.5" mechanical hard drive. They are usually about the size of an Android phone and are USB-powered, without a separate power supply.

Regardless, I would refrain from calling any flash-based product a "hard drive" as you did in your first post, because that implies that it is a mechanical, magnetic-disc drive. Semantics, you know... :wink:

EDIT: To clarify, here is a 2.5" portable hard drive (not solid state) next to a mouse:

2012-12-26%252013.40.21.jpg
    2.1: PC>Schiit Gungnir MB>Schiit Freya Noval>NAD C-270>Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1, HSU STF-2 5.1: HDMI Bitstream>Denon AVR-1910>polkaudio RTE55, CS350-LS, RT3, HSU STF-2, Visio M55-F0
  • seabeerob213
    edited December 2012
    you may be right, i havent looked at those in a while, my bro says his has moving parts, but regardless, im just trying to convey that the xbox memory drive is not what wold be labelled as a solid state if you were to buy just the drive
  • Tbone289
    edited December 2012
    you may be right, i havent looked at those in a while, my bro says his has moving parts, but regardless, im just trying to convey that the xbox memory drive is not what wold be labelled as a solid state if you were to buy just the drive

What you're really conveying though, is that it is OK for you to get semantics wrong as you have in this thread, but not OK for others to get the semantics wrong regarding the drive technology in the Xbox .

What is in the Xbox 360 S is not an SSD, nor is it a "flash drive", nor is it a "memory drive". It is a mechanical, 2.5" hard drive.
  • seabeerob213
    edited December 2012
    so which one i the flash version, the 4 gig?
  • Tbone289
    edited December 2012
    so which one i the flash version, the 4 gig?

I have no idea. I don't know much about the Xbox, but I know that the 250GB drive you mentioned is a hard drive.

I would guess that if there's one with 4GB of storage that it uses flash technology, as 4GB hard drives are no longer worth producing. The cost of solid-state storage technology is quickly getting cheaper, but it still gets pretty expensive once you hit 128GB and more.
  • seabeerob213
    edited December 2012
    ah, ok well it wasnt so much what they were calling it that bothered me, it was the rant my buddy went on about it, about how they would never put an ssd in a 250$ console and blah blah and i picked up on his rant after seeing post on fb by people earlier about their solid state 360's, and i should have done my own research before spouting off,
  • Tbone289
    edited December 2012
    It's all good! :wink:

Your buddy had it right--there's no way they could afford to price a solid-state storage solution in an 250GB size. Someday soon it will be affordable. Hell, I'm pretty happy right now that I can get a 64GB flash drive for $40! It hasn't been long at all since flash tech was $2 per GB at that size.

Now you know--and knowing is half the battle. --G.I. Joe
  • seabeerob213
    edited December 2012
    yeah, but ram sticks still get spendy going up in size