radio contests suck

Options
Micah Cohen
Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
I hate radio contests. I know the damn deejays are just picking up the damned phone (they just say, "I'll take the tenth caller," you don't think they really count to ten, do you?) and it makes you feel stupid to be calling a radio station. Who do these people think they are? And how come I'm never the tenth caller for cry eye?!

MC
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2001
    Options
    ...then stop calling them. Simple.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Micah Cohen
    edited August 2001
    Options
    But... I want to win tix to the movie! :(

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2001
    Options
    The kind of theaters you go to are dark, have private rooms, and take quarters, don't they?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • -justin-
    -justin- Posts: 891
    edited August 2001
    Options
    I am never going out to the movies again! I HATE the people in movie theaters. If I have to lean over the seat and tell some idiot's kids to shut the hell up before I...[imagination here]....I am going to explode.

Nothing is more annoying then having people talking on their cell phones and kids laughing behind me when I go and see a movie. I feel cheated out of $8.

I can't remember a time that I have just ENJOYED the movie I went to see. There is always something that bugs the crap out of me.

~Justin
  • Micah Cohen
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Cripes, you sound like me, Grasshopper.

So, get a big TV and bag the movie theater!

I'm talking about seeing a preview of the new "Apocalypse Now" at The Senator Theater, tho. They don't accept quarters, smartie.

:rolleyes:

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• TroyD
    edited August 2001
    Options
    I'd hate to be the guy who has to take the quarters out of the machine now that you mention it....

I can't remeber the last time that I went to the theater....I refuse to pay 8 bucks for a movie and be subjected to that crap. I vowed in 1988 when movies went to 4.50 that I wouldn't stand for it.

Troy
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited August 2001
    Options
    I guess that's the one good thing about Bethlehem, PA: our movies only cost $5 and the kids generally aren't annoying. What other kind of entertainment can you get for $5 that will totally emerse you for 2 hours? (besides renting) <-- this clarification for the following people: Russ, Troy, & Micah

Aaron
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2001
    Options
    A twelve of Old Milnasty?

R
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    edited August 2001
    Options
    a sixer of Haffenrafer Private Stock....

I prefer to watch movies in house. If I got to take a wiz, I don't miss anything and the beers are essentially free.

Troy
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited August 2001
    Options
    I won a backpack once. Never did go to the station and pick it up though.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • i002492
    i002492 Posts: 14
    edited August 2001
    Options
    I think the DJs DO count. I called for another purpose and was told I was #15 or so. I also have a hilarious .wav file of a radio station that gave away 100 Grand (candy bar). The guy thought he has won $100K (USD). Before they got to him you heard, "you're 103." As a joke I called a radio station here in St. Louis. They were doing a promotion to give away Barney tickets. I called them and did a dead-on impression of the Obnoxious One. It threw the guy answering the phone. Great fun!!
    Jeff
    PS, I learned the impression for my kids. :^)
  • Micah Cohen
    edited August 2001
    Options
    When I was in radio, we NEVER counted. We actually picked up the phone, just once, and said, "You're caller number ten, YOU'VE WON!" and just told all the other callers that they were number two or something till the phone stopped ringing.

We also did this: We had multi-line phones, and we'd open one line and dial six numbers and put it on "hold." Then we'd open another line and dial six numbers and put that on "hold." Then we'd open both lines at once, take them off "hold," and hit a single digit, making both "holds" into seven-digit phone numbers and dialing them both at the same time on speakerphone. So... Someone's phone rang, and then when they picked it up, on the line was someone else THEY JUST CALLED. "Hello?" "Hello?" "Who's this?" "Who's THIS?" "Wait a minute, you called me!" "No, I just picked up the phone; YOU CALLED ME!" Hillarity ensues.

The guy who did this, his last name was "Frone." We used to call them "Frone Calls."

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited August 2001
    Options
    ive only won one radio contest and that was some years ago.i won the flock of seagulls 1st "album".

scott:cool:
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited August 2001
    Options
    I am glad that for some people they do have time to play the game. I guess the contest you talked about works very well for them, there is a local radio station here in my city that give $104 everyday at 7:20am, all you need to do: call in, be number 10th caller and guess the correct name of the song.... you're right, it's really suck:p