Balanced or Unbalanced?

Options
venomclan
venomclan Posts: 2,467
edited May 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
Hi Guys,
I have recently purchased a Krell Kav250p 2-channel preamp and Krell Kav250a amp for my mains. Both units have balanced inputs and the preamp has balanced outputs. I am not sure which would be better to hook these together - balanced XLR's or just RCA analog cables.

I was at independent audio dealer recently who said that balanced connections are better only for long cable runs. Since the balanced cable does not pick up any interference, they are used for long runs. However, since the components are usually very close on a rack, like my case, it would be better to use a higher quality analog cable.

Does anyone have experience with this matter? Or feel strongly towards one way or the other?

All opinions are appreciated. Thank you for your assistance.
Best Regards,
Jeremy
Post edited by venomclan on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    edited May 2004
    Options
    I agree completely with your dealer, the RCA's will do the trick and you'll save some money in the process.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    edited May 2004
    Options
    I'd suggest using the balanced connectors in this case. Krell's manual recommends using balanced interconnects for this system "especially if cable runs are long", not only if cable runs are long. The gain is 6dB higher with the balanced interconnects used rather than single-ended. Cost differences between balanced and single-ended cables don't necessarily have to be a consideration any more. For example, Blue Jeans Cable has XLR cables available that are not expensive but are broadcast studio quality:

Blue Jeans Cable

A good pair of 3 ft balanced cables should cost about $50. I always use balanced interconnects now if they are an option, even for short runs. Having said that, I've never noticed a difference when switching between balanced and good quality (Kimber Hero) single-ended interconnects.
  • nemos2
    nemos2 Posts: 111
    edited May 2004
    Options
    I tend to agree with what has been posted. XLR connections are great, but for most home audio applications they are not really a huge benefit. A well constructed RCA cable that is shielded will do just fine. XLR type cables are usually used in radio, or as stated before in long runs. IF you can go with XLR, but in a home audio rack I just dont seem them offering much advantage over a well built RCA cable. Just my $0.02
    Polk LSi 15 Fronts
    Polk LSi C center
    Polk LSiFX Surrounds
    Outlaw Audio 990 Pre/Pro
    Outlaw Audio 755 amp
    Paradigm PDR-12 Sub
    Outlaw Audio Cables
    BetterCables Cables
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Hi Guys,
    Thank you for your opinions. I think I am going to experiment a little further. I may go with XLR's in the end because they do not cost any more than equivalent rca's and the manual with my Krell says that they will add 6db. Not sure how it will effect sound, I will demo a few pairs to see. Thanks again.
    Best Regards,
    Jeremy
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited May 2004
    Options
    I look forward to your evaluation. My Sunfire preamp & amps all have XLR connectors on them which are at this point not in use and the manufacturer does recommend their usage.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Balanced = Nothing but the manufacturer's words....hmmm much like cables I guess....choose your battles and go with it.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Use balanced cables -- period.
    Here's the scoop.
    Your components have four separate channels in them (two for the left and two for the right).
    This is why balanced circuitry is much more (twice) expensive to manufacture than single circuitry.
    Its really very silly to have balanced components and to short the benefit of them by simply not paying the extra coinage (not a lot) to reap the benefits of a different interconnect.

I'm told that audio/car analogies are in bad taste.
    Lets just say its kind of like having a Ferrari and running 87 octane, 10% ethanol gas in the tank. The Ferrari will run (and, run very well)... but, its simply a really silly thing to do as the performance of the engine will be diminished.

- Ron
  • PolkWannabie
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Emlyn
    The gain is 6dB higher with the balanced interconnects used rather than single-ended. ...

Having said that, I've never noticed a difference when switching between balanced and good quality (Kimber Hero) single-ended interconnects.
    I can't quite picture how a 6dB gain wouldn't be noticed ... can you explain ? Everything else being equal this should and would if nothing else provide a lot of additional headroom.
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited May 2004
    Options
    When in question you usually can't go "wrong" following the manufactures advice, but...

If you can afford to try both ways do it and decide for yourself. If you can't or don't want to, pick one and go with it. You'll probably be just as happy either way.

Over the years I've (as have most you others) read a lot of reviews written by some of the "golden ears" of the audio world comparing the sonic differences between components, wires, ways to conduct tests etc.. Not always do they agree with each other. Likewise I've read a good number of equipment reviews comparing balanced vs. single end hook ups on paticular components. Not always does the balanced connection win the decision.

Soooo, where does that often leave one?
  • PolkWannabie
    edited May 2004
    Options
    I would think as I said above with all things being roughly equal i.e. no clear winner that a 6dB gain would carry the day. I've never seen that anywhere in print except here and although I don't necessarily doubt it I'm surprised I've never read it elsewhere.