New Emotiva XPR-2... 2 channel, 600 watts into 8 ohms, 1000 watts into 4 ohms

audio_alan
audio_alan Posts: 770
edited December 2012 in 2 Channel Audio
http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/xpr2

One thing I noticed right away is they dropped the gain from 32 db (like on the XPA-2) down to 29 db. That's in-line with other amps, and has been a major source of criticism for many.

I wish they'd switch from the LED meter levels to VU meters though. That would make them look a lot better... but looks are secondary, imo.

So, who's ordering one and reporting back to the group? :cheesygrin:

(I'm sure a lot of people already think it "sucks" and is "entry level"...)
Post edited by audio_alan on

Comments

• pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 4,981
    edited December 2012
    I'm half tempted to give it a whirl. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. You can speculate all you want but until you give it a test ride in your system all the opinions don't amount to a hill of beans. The only drawback is that it does require a dedicated 20amp line. I don't know what's involved in that so I'll have to look into it. That price is good till 1/13 so I have plenty of time.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • audio_alan
    edited December 2012
    Good point, pearsall001. Now's definitely the time to try it, seeing as how they're $250 off right now. :cheesygrin: Regarding the drawback of a dedicated 20 amp line, yeah, not many people have one of those in their livingroom. You'll probably see the power meter spin faster when you turn that thing on too!
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited December 2012
    If you try it you can return it but it would cost a lot to ship it back @92lbs
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited December 2012
    Is this a result of receiving your catalog in the mail?:smile:
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • audio_alan
    edited December 2012
    headrott wrote: »
    Is this a result of receiving your catalog in the mail?:smile:

Email update. How else can you bash the latest Emo gear unless you get notified of their new stuff? :rolleyes: :lol:
  • Stilly74
    Stilly74 Posts: 194
    edited December 2012
    That's justs GREAT! Another piece of audio equipment I need to buy.
  • michael1947
    michael1947 Posts: 775
    edited December 2012
    I have a dedicated 20amp outlet/line...and I like those pretty blue lights:rolleyes:
    Main Family Room: Sony 46 LCD, Sony Blue Ray, Sony DVD/VCR combo,Onkyo TXNR 708, Parasound 5250,
    Polk SDS-SRS with mods, CSI 5 center + Klipsch SC2, Polk RT2000P rears, Klipsch KG 1.5's sides, Polk Micro Pro 1000, Polk Micro Pro 2000, Polk SW505, Belkin PF60, Signal Cable Classics,Monster IC's, 2 15 amp circuits & 1 20 amp circuit.

Living Room: Belkin PF60, Parasound HCA2200, MIT ProlineEXP balanced IC's,Emotiva XDA-1 DAC/Pre,Emotiva ERC2 transport,MIT AVT2, Polk LSI 9's.
  • allstock
    allstock Posts: 136
    edited December 2012
    Worth a try,someone buy one so I can buy it used...lol. Seriously it sure looks good on paper, everyone says the big boys like BIG power, it sure fits the bill. It would be fun to take one and disguise it like a McIntosh, I bet it would all-of-a-sudden sound great! Lots of discussion on here about dedicated 20a lines, I have two.
    Two Channel-SDA SRS 1.2tl's,modded, Cambridge Audio 851w amps(2),Cambridge 851e pre, VPI Scout 1.1 tt, Moon audio phono pre,oppo bd105.
    HT-Denon avr3808ci,Carver a-753x,Panasonic ae4000 projector,120" screen,ps3,wii console w/full rockband,Panamax conditioner,dbx120 subharmonic synthesizer,jvc dvd-a player, Polk RTi12 mains,Polk CSiA6 centre, Energy ES-18xl sub,two custom 10" powered subs, Def Tech bp2x surrounds(4),Paradigm monitors-rear(2)
  • fossy
    fossy Posts: 1,378
    edited December 2012
    FREE Shippin !!!!!!! somebody get one or 2 !!!
  • naturallight
    naturallight Posts: 689
    edited December 2012
    Whats a deal breaker for this amp, is the fact they want a dedicated 20 amp circuit to run it.

The $1500 price tag for the amp may be fine. The cost of getting a dedicated circuit to were you would place the amp, could end up to be a LOT more then the cost of the amp itself.

Very few houses have a dedicated 20 amp outlet sitting around doing nothing. You would need a "licensed" electrician. Hopefully you have an open position in you circuit breaker box...If NOT..then you'd need a new panel in there. It could easy cost you 3K, just to get the circuit to were you need it, depending on how old your house is and were the outlet needs to be.

It may be a nice amp, but the fact they State they want a "dedicated" 20 amp circuit....would send me running in the other direction.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited December 2012
    A dedicated run to a fuse panel to your gear location usually runs around 200-300 bucks. Most people have the room on the Fuse panel to add a 20 amp circuit.
    Back bone of any ones system is the most important part.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • naturallight
    edited December 2012
    I'm NOT saying it could not cost that little..would depend on the house, the age of the house, and were you live. The fact that it would cost you, over and above what the price of the amp is, would be the deal breaker...
  • @@@@@
    @@@@@ Posts: 115
    edited December 2012
    That particular deal breaker is what I am thinking too. I would rather buy a pair of xpa 1 to power my brand new lsi15 than spend a lot of money to run a dedicated 20 amp circuit without knowing whether or not this will give a ton of sound quality difference... I hope I am making sense.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,707
    edited December 2012
    If you're serious about your audio, you should have at least one dedicated 20 amp line powering your gear. It's basic Audio 101.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• naturallight
    edited December 2012
    No,No, No..F1..there not saying a dedicated 20 amp line for your "GEAR"..just for this power amp..meaning nothing else can run on it!!

Yes a dedicated line for your GEAR is for sure great....but not the case here. So you would need a whole other line to run everything else......Except the power amp.
  • playback
    playback Posts: 101
    edited December 2012
    F1nut wrote: »
    If you're serious about your audio, you should have at least one dedicated 20 amp line powering your gear. It's basic Audio 101.

+1, Iv'e learned in the last 3yrs it starts at the wall with a second going to room acoustics, only if I could go back many setups ago with this approach alot of gear i parted with may have stuck around longer!
  • naturallight
    edited December 2012
    I agree with F1 that you should have a dedicated circuit to run your equipment. I have one in my basement, and i only run my stereo equipment off it..altho it is only 15 amp..but not about to pay to have it upped to 20 amp. It works fine and i have no problem with it. BUT this EMO amp wants it's own dedicated 20 amp circuit.....that to me is far beyound what you should have to do.

Let me put it this way. My house was built around 1988 or so. The people that had it built put in massive electric as they worked on cars in the garages. I have 200 amp service..have plenty of power, and a large circuit panel. Yes i have open slots. BUT the people for some reason decided to put a sheet rock ceiling in the room with the panel.

Now yes i might be able to have an electrician come in and run a dedicated line to the area i want it to be.....BUT to get there, to the panel. They would have to cut holes in my sheet rock ceiling.

So OK..the electrician may have cost me $300 bucks,(depending on were you live) but now i'm left with holes in the ceiling, so thats going to cost me another maybe $150 to fix, plus paint.

This all depends on the house, what year it was built and what if any open spaces people may have in there electric panel. To go thru all this, for a power amp for speakers..and it's an Emo amp to boot. I think NOT.
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,567
    edited December 2012
    Sound to me like you are trying to convince yourself to run a 20 amp circuit and buy the Emo. We all get your disdain for having to run a circuit for this amp.
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    edited December 2012
    Like patching holes is all that hard!! If you have the money for room treatments, crossover upgrades, tweeters, ect. I think one can pull off running a 20 amp breaker..
  • naturallight
    edited December 2012
    You have to be joking right??? You really want to pay 1500 bucks for an EMO amp, then throw another, 400-to an easy1K plus. Just to get the amp to work??? How on earth did you get that from my reply???

To be honest, hell you can buy a QSC GX5 or 7 amp, that use the same "H" power supply setup with a fan to cool it down.It has the same power and close to the same specks...so you have to spend 20 bucks ..get a quiet fan..10 bucks says you could not tell the difference between that and the EMO amp....LOL

Were talking about an EMO amp..that not alot of people like for 2 channel stereo...it's not a Krell or something else.

A stock Adcom 555 would probably blow this away sound wise.....so whats your point????
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,567
    edited December 2012
    My point was, we get what you are saying! You keep saying it over and over again. You either pony up get the amp, run the circuit or you don't. We get that you do not want to have to do that. Give it a break already.
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • @@@@@
    @@@@@ Posts: 115
    edited December 2012
    Here is another quick suggestion recommended by other users in the other forum. Please open this link http://www.amazon.com/Furman-ADP-1520-Adapter-Cord-Socket/dp/B0002GXPF4. What do you think about it now?
  • naturallight
    edited December 2012
    LMAO.....I have no words for this. If you like EMO stuff..then buy this...I would not touch it with a ten foot pole. I don't like EMO stuff..period.

What you posted from amazon, is not even close. As to why it doesn't work, or whatever if somebody else whats to tell you why ..thats up to them. I give up.
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited December 2012
    Your whole argument about the 20 amp line is ridiculous. At four ohms, 1000 watts x2 assuming 100% efficiency (clearly not the case) you need to feed it 2000 watts. Guess what the maximum recommended watts for a 20 amp line is? 1840 watts. So any 1000 watt stereo amplifier can even pop a 20 amp breaker if you push it hard enough; if you were going to complain properly, you'd be asking why they cheaped out and didn't put a 30 amp line on it.

This has nothing to do with emotiva and the fact that they put the 20 amp line on there is actually a GOOD thing.

The qsc gx7 you cite is somewhat the equivalent of that amazon cable. To get the rated output, it needs way more than the 15 amps, but they just slapped a 15 amp line it and you'll just get popped breakers.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited December 2012
    Seeing as though we all love a good car analogy, I thought I would toss one in of my very own...

Emotiva is to high performance stereo amplification as a Yugo is to a Ferrari 599.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,707
    edited December 2012
    Guess what the maximum recommended watts for a 20 amp line is? 1840 watts.

Not sure who recommended that, but the load limit for a 20 amp line is 2400 watts.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited December 2012
    Unfortunately, due to the design of my house it is very difficult (expensive) to add a line for my stereo. The house is on a slab, and the attic is full of HVAC ducts, so getting a line from the panel in the back of the house to the front is a lot of work. With that in mind, I think if I do add a line I will add 3 20 amp lines. One for the gear, and one each for the amps. The problem here is that while the line will be new, it still will have AC grunge and will require a Shunyata power conditioner for each amp line. This is really getting expensive now. :eek:
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited December 2012
    My room is currently down to the studs, and my panel is right outside.:biggrin:
    But there is zero chance I will be plugging an Emo in any time soon.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited December 2012
    You mean the Emo won't beat your 2 Carver Mono blocks you built a while back John? That's suprising.:razz:
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited December 2012
    Load limit for a 20 amp line assuming 120v is 2400 watts; I was using 115 and the NEC 80% rule to get 1840. You can get nuisance pops once you cross that.

Point being, if I see an amp with more than about 1500 watts total output that DOESN'T have a 20 amp line or dual 15's, I start to get suspicious. (looking at you, sunfire)

Granted, this is a simplification since your instantaneous output can exceed the draw, but there no getting around the laws of thermodynamics.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i