I need a capacitor....or something

Ron-P
Ron-P Posts: 8,516
edited March 2002 in Technical/Setup
I have my surrounds (RT25i's) set to small. I want to set them to large, but do not want them to see the full frequency range. So, is there a capacitor or somethig I can put inline, at the binding post of the speaker that will cut out anything below 80Hz or so?

I prefer the sound with everything set to large, yet I do not want to blow the 25i's up.

Peace Out~:D
If...
Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
Post edited by Ron-P on

Comments

• Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited March 2002
    You can get what is called a "bass-blocker", most car audio shops carry them.

- Steve
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • izafar
    izafar Posts: 814
    edited March 2002
    why do you wanna set them large and still not want the whole frequency response?

Imran
    -izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited March 2002
    Might have a slight bit of distortion if he drove them too hard at the lower frequencies. The internal crossovers don't filter out signals, just route them.

- Steve
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • izafar
    izafar Posts: 814
    edited March 2002
    Now I am all confused. I also has RT25is as surrounds. If I set them to small then the bass information will be filtered from them and will be routed to Sub (or mains). If I set them large and put a high pass filter on them to block the low end frequencuies wouldnt I be missing that sound from my system.

Imran
    -izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited March 2002
    Ron-Parts Express has them cheap. They just snape on the cable.
    Chris :)
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited March 2002
    Chris, are they the bass blockers?

Why? Because my SR5000 lets me set everything to "large" and the sub to "yes". This is the way it sounds best. I get a real nice blend with everything.

If I set everything to small, the bass is overkill and the mains sound weak. So, I like everything set large with the sub on, sounds excellent. But, because the 25s only go to 50Hz, at loud levels I can pick up a bit of distortion. A bass blocker set at 50Hz or even 60Hz would work great.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • ncstatesman
    ncstatesman Posts: 145
    edited March 2002
    wouldn't the use of a cap sharply cut-off the bass freq's below that freq, ie, there would be no gradual attenuation/slope of the signal below that freq?
  • ncstatesman
    ncstatesman Posts: 145
    edited March 2002
    wouldn't the use of a cap sharply cut-off the bass freq's below that freq, ie, there would be no gradual attenuation/slope of the signal below that freq?
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited March 2002
    If these speakers were hooked up to a stereo receiver back in the days of old, they would be getting the full frequency spectrum. They would only reproduce what they are capable of and roll-off. And it would also be 2 more connections. But that's just my opinion.

Good luck!
    Make it Funky! :)
  • MIKLSAN
    MIKLSAN Posts: 8
    edited March 2002
    Steve,
    What kind of receiver are you using? Do you know for sure that the crossover freq for the small speaker setting is 80Hz? Some receiver vary. Some higher end receivers actually have variable or even defeatable crossovers to help tune your system.
    nc,
    All crossovers have a "slope" that dictates how rapidly they roll off. In the case of a simple capacitor or "bass-blocker", that slope is 6 dB per octave. Assuming you used a cap that began to roll off at around 80Hz, you would be 6 dB down at 40Hz, 12 dB down at 20Hz, etc.

Good listening!
  • CHRIS
    edited March 2002
    Ron-They are bass blockers. If I find the part # I will post it.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited March 2002
    Ron,
    Assuming these are 6 ohm speakers you can put a 320 mF cap in series with the woofer to get a gradual rolloff below 80Hz. The problem is that if you put this at the enclosure input you also affect the tweeter crossover. You would have to put it on the wires inside after the crossover at the woofer. Just remove the (+) lead from the woofer and put it in series. Also make sure you use a bipolar electrolytic 100V cap. (they are in a can like a normal eletrolytic but have no polarity marked) RS or Parts Express should have them.

The Parts Express part# is 027-372
    www.partsexpress.com
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • CHRIS
    edited March 2002
    Ron-part #s from P.E. for bass stoppers. They go inbetween the crossover and the driver.
    266-200