What's the best tire size?
    Depends on your:
    -room size and configuration.
    -type of music
    -or movies you're watching
    -your personal tonal preferences
    -how well your ears work
    -whether your neighbors are armed

I have a set of rt1000i's and I've played with them and the psw450 subs to strike a balance
    I find the 1000's sound good to me
    in the 2 o'clock position on the dial
    Although I crank them up further at times when
    the little lady is out shopping.

-luc
  • rnoseworthy
    rnoseworthy Posts: 41
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I have had mine in several different room sizes (due to moving). The best results I have found is running them at less than half. I asked this question because I noticed the sub's would distort rather quickly when running them over half.
  • shepx2
    shepx2 Posts: 646
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Volume level on the knob is all relative. Some subs are set so you only have to turn them to 1/2, some need to be higher. Trying to compare it between companies doesn't do any good.

shep
  • rnoseworthy
    edited March 2002
    Options
    What I have is the RT1000p's. The powered sub in them doesn't seem to be able to keep up with the mid range 6.5 and the tweeter. I don't know if it's the amp or the sub's driver, but that part of the speaker gives up way before the mid and tweeter. I was just wondering if most people had better results running them at less than half, like I have. I haven't spent the time investigating if the 1000i's are different (as in Spec's). Other than this the speaker sounds great.

2ch setup
    mains RT1000p's
    pre B&K PT3 II
    Amp B&K ST2140

HT Setup
    Fronts RT55i's
    Center 400i
    surrounds/rear 300i's
    Rcvr Onkyo TX-DS777
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I also keep my 1000's at half. That works best for me.My other sub's way over power my 1000's so I don't depend on them as much.:)
  • mlware
    mlware Posts: 29
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I run my rt1000i's subs at about 10 o'clock. In part this is because I do not trust them to play at anything more than about 12 o'clock because my prev. 1000p's self-destructed at that setting. On the John Williams soundtrack NIXON at the first deep bass hits, the 1000i's seemed to distort at the midway position so I pulled them back. The DTS dvd of THE HAUNTING was clearly a distress situation for them so I started running them at a low position about 10 o clock or slightly less, with the brunt of the bass taken on by my two dedicated subs. I think I still get a pleasing sound but I don't rely on the 1000i subs. My digital receiver is set for all channels run full range with "subwoofer" setting switched to off, so that all channels get a full range signal (really it's to get a better Dolby Digital signal), with the two dedicated subs also getting full range signals from the front L and R pre-outs and high passing them internally (the LFE chanel is distributed to all channels, since the 1000i subs are run low, it's not a danger to them). With dedicated subs it will sound best if they take care of the bass anyway; one has to find the most subjectively pleasing way to integrate them.

So the moral is, I don't trust my rt1000i's to deliver serious bass, but use just enough of the built-in subs to taper into the dedicated subs.
  • rnoseworthy
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. I pretty much run them about the 10 O'clock position as well.