Sony PS-X75 Biotracer Turntable and Technics U205CMk3 Cartridge

rtart
rtart Posts: 806
edited November 2012 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
Hi Polkies!

I have too many TT's and need to make some room for more projects. I bought this TT in 2009 from the son of the original owner. The story was that the Dad invested in CD's as soon as they came out and the son did not own a single album. The son inherited the table when Dad died in the late 80's. Because of this I was told that less than 50 albums were ever played on the TT. Based on it's condition, I'd agree. Mom had passed right before I bought it as the family home was being cleaned out to be sold. Kind of a sad story, and I would not have sold my Dad's TT, but anyway....

I've played a couple dozen albums on the TT and it works flawlessly.

The PS-X75 was the 'penultimate Biotracer' (Sony's description) and was introduced to very good reviews in 1980. I have a copy of the High Fidelity Magazine from November of 1980 with a review. I have the original box, all packing materials, Owner's and Service Manuals, warranty registration card ( probably lapsed by now :-)...) and the hang tags that came on the tonearm and platter telling you how to set it up. Basically, everything that came in the box is included.

The cartridge enjoys great reviews online, when you can find them. I have the original box, an extra stylus in the box (which I have not tested - didn't need to), and all the packing materials, also. There is also lab test printout for the cartridge as shipped. I have a letter to the original owner from Technics dated 1983 responding to his inquiry about dealers that could sell him the cartridge, so I'm assuming that this is a circa-1983 TT and cartridge.

A couple of very unique features of this TT are its fully automatic operation, auto-record size sensing, and automatic audio damping when the stylus drops to the record. No thump!

It has a Biotracer tonearm, and was the last of the Sony TT's to use that technology, which means they got it right. The tonearm has sensors and servo motors that continually sense side loads and adjust for them, ensuring optimum tracking alignment. The biotracer tonearm works very well with this cartridge.

There are many who believe that 'modern' TT's are the end-all, be-all of analog technology. Sony invested many millions in TT technology and the specs and performance of their high end TT's reflect that investment. Many analog enthusiasts will tell you that the Technics SL-1200 series will stand up very well against any post millenium TT. I've owned one and can tell you that my ears prefer this unit. In my opinion, there is not a finer fully-auto turntable around than the PS-x75.

The last two PS-X75's that sold on eBay went for $375 and $400, plus shipping, respectively. Both had issues. This unit does not. It's all here, it all works, and it's in great cosmetic condition.

I found a Technics cartridge that is the exact same unit with an integrated headshell for sale right now on eBay for $289. A used U205CMk3 is now for sale on Agon for $200. Neither include spare styli.

I'm thinking that $450 plus shipping is more than fair.

I made a video of the unit in operation and it is posted on YouTube. Here's the link: http://youtu.be/4xYB50qLI1s

Please forgive my lack of video production skills.....

Here are a few pix. Let me know if you need more.

PICT0179.jpg
PICT0178.jpg
PICT0180.jpg
PICT0175.jpg

Please contact me via PM if you'd like to make an offer.
My 7.4.4 DIY 4k Home Theater:
Polk LSiM 707 L&R, LSiM706c center, LSiM702 side surrounds, LSiM 703 rears
Polk RC-80i x 4 In Ceiling Atmos speakers
2 x SVS PB12/Plus 2's
Denon X3700H
Sherbourne 7/2100 200 x 7 Amp, Emotiva BasX A-500 for Atmos
XBox One X 4k & BD and streaming
Panasonic UB-420 4k player
HD-A35 HD DVD
Oppo BD-103D for hirez audio
Technics SL-D2 TT, Grado Gold Cartridge
JVC DLA-RS520 projector
Silver Ticket 120" acoustically transparent screen
Berkline 090 electric recliners with Aura Bass Shakers
Post edited by rtart on

Comments

• Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    edited November 2012
    I'm interested. PM sent.
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited November 2012
    That's a gorgeous table.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • rtart
    edited November 2012
    ESavinon wrote: »
    That's a gorgeous table.
    Thanks.

I know I'll kick myself later on, but I almost never use it and it's a shame to keep it from someone who would enjoy it more often.
    2 x SVS PB12/Plus 2's
    Denon X3700H
    HD-A35 HD DVD
    JVC DLA-RS520 projector
  • TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    edited November 2012
    Very nice looking table. I'd guess performance would be better than anything new out there under $1500. Wish I had the cash because that is a gorgeous piece. GLWS
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• rtart
    edited November 2012
    Thanks.

Without trying to start a flame war, the engineer in me says that because a major company like Sony had the resources to design and build this technology at the peak of its commercial appeal, the odds are that a smaller company with more limited resources probably cannot match it. Today's fancy, complicated tables in the kilo-buck range use belts, heavy platters, exotic materials, etc. that were almost certainly considered and rejected by the big players in TT's in the 70's and 80's. Of course, mass market, low priced TTs were not necessarily built to the highest standards, but top-of-line units were.

I searched for a fully-auto table for a long time before settling on this one. I collected and kept all the vinyl I could over the years, and have owned a bunch of TTs. I lived through the linear tracking (records are not cut that way...why would someone think that playing one back in a different manner would sound better?), belt drive, direct drive, etc. eras and spent a LOT on the technology du jour over the years.

Based on that experience, for the money, IMO, the early 80's Japanese high end tables were as good as analog tables will ever get. The audio biz has been full of snake oil and unobtanium since the beginning, and vinyl players are still a good place to find some of that. As far as I know, there is not a fully-auto TT made today that is any better than this unit. I dare say that there is not a TT mfgr around today that could afford the R&D to match the Japanese TTs in the 80's. That's why we see belt drives (rejected by Sony, Technics, etc. years ago) being touted as the end-all, be-all of TT technology using snob appeal, not facts.

All the above, is, of course, my opinion. If you disagree, that's fine (that is why this forum exists, after all!), just please do so respectfully.
    2 x SVS PB12/Plus 2's
    Denon X3700H
    HD-A35 HD DVD
    JVC DLA-RS520 projector
  • jon s
    jon s Posts: 905
    edited November 2012
    What caused the decline of Sony was the CEO who took over in the 80s... Can't remember his name but he thought Sony had too many engineers so he laid off a ton of them. These were the geek guys who developed the ES line, Walkmans, CDs (and BetaMax), Trinitrons and more under Morita, the original Sony founder who had by then retired. Most of these engineers who were let go were hired by SamSung and LG. Since there was really no confidentiality or technology non-disclosure restrictions, the engineers were free to use anything from Sony in their new jobs. This caused the slow rise of SamSung and LG and the decline of Sony.

Sony has since fell behind and has never been able to catch up. They lost the group that were able to look ahead and create new technologies (like what Apple is today) and are now relying on buying OEM products and selling them under the Sony brand. If you go to Japan, you would be shocked at how few retailers now carry Sony products. They all complain on how poor Sony products are. If you go to the famous Sony store in Tokyo, it now looks largely deserted with very few products on display.

Howard Stringer took over Sony and further eroded the engineering group leaving them with very few people who can really create anything. The company was divided into smaller groups all independent of each other. This led to overlapping responsibilties and extra expenses for the company. The new CEO Kaz Hirai is trying to consolidate the company's resources but is facing enormous losses ($4,000,000,000 this year?) due to the recession. I doubt if Sony can survive this if they cannot turnaround the company soon...
  • rtart
    edited November 2012
    Sold to Dawgfish!

I miss it already :-(
    2 x SVS PB12/Plus 2's
    Denon X3700H
    HD-A35 HD DVD
    JVC DLA-RS520 projector
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    edited November 2012
    Nice pickup Dawgfish. I suspect you'll be very happy with it.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    edited November 2012
    Thanks. I'm extremely happy with it. Randle is an awesome guy and it was a pleasure meeting him. He has some really nice toys to boot.

Just as an aside while I love the way this table sounds with the Technics cart, curiosity got the best of me and I decided to try my Soundsmith modded Dynavector 20XH cartridge on it. Omg what a fantastic sounding combo! I wasn't prepared for how good this sounds. I also tried a Denon DL-160 on it and sounded great also. The reviews on this were spot on, the Biotracer tonearm makes any cartridge placed on it sound fantastic.