nikonik Posts: 120
edited November 2012 in Vintage Speakers
1DEBCEB4.jpg
6B93D434-1.jpg
67255090.jpg
106CA16C-1.jpg
17682F04-1.jpg
A8B65649.jpg

In '89-'90, I bought an used set of M 10Bs. I was only a senior but I liked the way Polk Audio speakers sounded. I eventually bought several pieces of Carver products but I always wanted a set of Polk's flagship speakers. I couldt afford back then, and recently I would see them from time to time on ebay but I was too busy dumping money into bmx bikes that I kept putting them on hold. These came up and they were in Tenessee. I thought there was no way I was going to get them, but I checked into them and got a bid on Uship and bought them. From TN to WA I paid 475. I did read that they were overpriced and Bob wouldnt budge on his price. He stated they were pristine and not a scratch on them. Bob was correct! They are in immacualte condition on all sides and the inter connect cable was included. I got what I payed for in my opinion. I dont have to do anything to them. I like them stock. I am amazed with the bass that it starts to irritate me a bit but it is the bass that I have always wanted but couldnt get out of the M10s. I have all my gear in the garage because that is where I can turn it up and not upset my wife. LoL. She mentioned that she could clearly hear every word upstairs. That was the day I turned it up to about 1 oclock on the preamp. I have 225 per channel and was enjoying them so much to "For the First Time," by Lifehouse. It was an appropriate song since it was the first time I really cranked them up. My brother was impressed because at first I was teasing him by not turning it up right away. I would like to move them into the house but I dont think I can enjoy them like I can out there. The garage is about 35x25 and is plenty big for these awesome speakers. Im considering another set. I almost got the ones in Boise, ID but he didnt want to take my paypal funds. Ill find another set eventually but Ill try to get the 1.2TL. My thanks goes out to Oldfatdogs for being a great guy and telling me to post them up. He also sent me links and helped me out with this site. Thanks Dan!
Post edited by nikonik on

Comments

• leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited November 2012
    Nice looking speakers you got there.
  • OldmanSRS
    OldmanSRS Posts: 418
    edited November 2012
    Very nice indeed. Are they the standard SRS or the SRS1.2's (I can see they are not 1.2TL).
    '65 427 Shelby Cobra
    '72 Triumph TR-6
    '05 HSU VTF-3 Sub (Original OEM)
    '20 HSU VTF-3 Sub (three more, 100% cloned)
    '93 Carver TFM-35
    '88 Carver M-1.0t
    '88 Adcom GFT-555
    '88 Adcom GFP-555
    '88 Adcom GFA-555 (upgraded/restored)
    '88 Adcom GFA-555 (a second one upgraded/restored)
    '05 Onkyo DV-555 media
    '89 Fosgate 360 Digital Space Matrix
    '89 Fosgate 360 Digital Space Matrix, internal surround amp bridged to drive only a center channel
    '91 Kenwood Basic M1D Amp
    '89 Pioneer Laser Disc media
    '89 Sony SuperBeta HiFi media
    One PGA2310 based custom built remote volume control
    Four Polk T-15's
    Two Polk TSi-200's
    Two Polk TSi-100's
    Two Polk CS-10's

• Bugstyvy
    Bugstyvy Posts: 119
    edited November 2012
    Like most around here I am looking for a pair of these!!! Congrats!!!
    Mcintosh MC2300
    Mcintosh 2105
    Integra Pre amp 9.8
    Pro-ject Record Player
    Sony 200 disc CD Changer
    Basic Wiring
    60" Samsung Series 8
    SDA-1.2TL
    SDA-3.1TL (unused at the moment)
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited November 2012
    Congrats and welcome to CP! Those do indeed look pristine.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited November 2012
    A very nice looking pair of SDAs. Looks like they have a complete set of Larrys Rings installed, that's a good thing!

Congrats
  • nikonik
    edited November 2012
    Thanks gentlemen for compliments. They are the regular SDA SRS from what I have read. The back label only says SDA SRS. Serial numbers are 1145 and 2189.
  • nikonik
    edited November 2012
    A very nice looking pair of SDAs. Looks like they have a complete set of Larrys Rings installed, that's a good thing!

Congrats
    Im guessing because of the allen bolts? Is that correct? I tried to get into them last night but I couldnt find the right size out of 30 wrenches. I misplaced the one I need.
  • Oldfatdogs
    Oldfatdogs Posts: 1,874
    edited November 2012
    Hello Nik,I'm glad your enjoying your speakers,that is one hell of a garage set up.Have fun with them.
    Dan
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,164
    edited November 2012
    Is the interconnect cable pin/blade or blade/blade? Great looking speakers!
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    edited November 2012
    Oh man, Those look like real crap! But lucky for you I'd be willing to take them off your hands for free so long as you can deliver. :razz:

JK. Nice score. :biggrin:
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • nikonik
    edited November 2012
    Is the interconnect cable pin/blade or blade/blade? Great looking speakers!
    blade/blade
  • oldmodman
    oldmodman Posts: 740
    edited November 2012
    Those look just like the pair I saw brand new in the listening room at Shelly's Audio all those years ago.
    I doubt if there is a better condition pair for sale anywhere.
    Congratulations!
    I "overpaid" for my pair of 3.2tl's due to their condition too. It's just so satisfying to look at a perfect pair of speakers everyday.
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,261
    edited November 2012
    Nice looking speakers. If those are the one that were in Decatur I would be listening to them now if they would have fit in my room. They were just about 30 miles away from me. I just can't use speakers that tall. I'm waiting for a nice set of 2Bs to come available near me.
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • trav0810
    trav0810 Posts: 1,056
    edited November 2012
    Wow man...those look AMAZING! Very nice. Congrats!
    The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Sony Playstation 3 for CD and Streaming
    Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
    Carver TFM 42 and 45 Amplifiers
    Polk RTA15TL Speakers w/Decato mods
    White Lightning Moonshine DIY Speaker Cables and Interconnects
  • Mike Reeter
    edited November 2012
    duplicate post
  • Mike Reeter
    edited November 2012
    nikonik wrote: »
    Im guessing because of the allen bolts? Is that correct? I tried to get into them last night but I couldnt find the right size out of 30 wrenches. I misplaced the one I need.

Yes, I didn't catch who you bought these from, but I'd bet they belonged to a CP member at one time. The x-overs plates look very nice also.
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    edited November 2012
    Congrats, and stunning!!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,256
    edited November 2012
    Great looking speakers! Where are you in Washington?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited November 2012
    I dont have to do anything to them. I like them stock.

You haven't heard anything close to what they are capable of. Replace those awful SL2000's and upgrade the crossovers.

The size needed for the socket cap screws is 9/64.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nikonik
    edited November 2012
    TennMan wrote: »
    Nice looking speakers. If those are the one that were in Decatur I would be listening to them now if they would have fit in my room. They were just about 30 miles away from me. I just can't use speakers that tall. I'm waiting for a nice set of 2Bs to come available near me.
    Yes to Decatur.
  • nikonik
    edited November 2012
    zingo wrote: »
    Great looking speakers! Where are you in Washington?
    Wenatchee!
  • nikonik
    edited November 2012
    F1nut wrote: »
    You haven't heard anything close to what they are capable of. Replace those awful SL2000's and upgrade the crossovers.

The size needed for the socket cap screws is 9/64.
    I agree but for now they are just fine. One of these days maybe. Ill keep reading on the upgrades and eventually yes when I need to replace something I might as well replace part in sets. Thanks
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited November 2012
    Let me put it another way. The lifespan of the caps and tweeters are WAY past their expiration date.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nikonik
    edited November 2012
    oldmodman wrote: »
    Those look just like the pair I saw brand new in the listening room at Shelly's Audio all those years ago.
    I doubt if there is a better condition pair for sale anywhere.
    Congratulations!
    I "overpaid" for my pair of 3.2tl's due to their condition too. It's just so satisfying to look at a perfect pair of speakers everyday.
    Thanks Oldmodman! It is very satisfying to look at them everyday and admire the beauty and sound. I think you and I got the condition of speakers we were looking for, and in the end, we are both very satisfied and enjoying them wo having to deal w issues. They day PennAntique was to pick them up, Bob was having his last minutes with them and was very emotional about letting them go. I spoke with him on the phone about 1/2 hr before pick up and I could tell he was sad to see them go. I told him Id take very well care of them.
  • nikonik
    edited November 2012
    Let me put it another way. The lifespan of the caps and tweeters are WAY past their expiration date.
    Well said F1nut.
  • drgalexo
    drgalexo Posts: 159
    edited November 2012
  • Oldmanind
    Oldmanind Posts: 49
    edited November 2012
    love the wood tops
  • nikonik
    edited November 2012

I did more research and are these the tweeters you talking about?
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?138393-There-are-no-words-for-this...
    They look sweeeeeet! Now, if I can just locate the caps. JK!!
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    edited November 2012
    Those are simply beautiful.
    I hope your garage is climate controlled!
    Of course mine are in the house.
    My wife takes little trips that's when I play them louder.
    But she loves them, they are in the main room, we enjoy the same music and collecting vinyl.
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • stubby
    stubby Posts: 723
    edited November 2012
    Silly question time. I have owned a fair number of SRS series speakers but I have never seen the type of Signature plate yours have. Yours looks like it is smooth (flat), every other one I have seen has raised sections for the script and a small pebble finish everywhere else. Any one else have smoothies?
    BTW, beautiful speakers!!

stubby
    SRS 3.1TL
    Harman Kardon Citation 5.1
    Anthem AVM2