Marantz Receiver TA-150 150wpc??

Options
chenj16
chenj16 Posts: 148
edited May 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
any opinions on this receiver or anybody has experience to share? i see the used value of these units pretty low on the market as respect to their huge 150wpc power :eek: ? the appearance looks cheap to me... i found they're 1985 model, are they the same marantz quality in terms of sound? thanks!
Post edited by chenj16 on

Comments

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Don't know much about Marantz but when it comes to 2ch, most people seem prefer their vintage receivers.

Maurice
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited May 2004
    Options
    I had a TA-170 pass through here not long ago. This series and time frame are not exactly classic Marantz (Not that I think a 150wpc, 70's vintage Marantz receiver is the living freakin' end either you know. They happen to make nice collectors items and income producers.)

I found two noteworthy features with the TA-170.

1. It did not burst into flame during its stay here.

2. It did not say Bose on it.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Nobody can say it like George.........
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• George Grand
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Just trying to be more than another pretty face.

As for the comments received on another forum, regarding the amp only being about 25wpc? I'd say that individuals comments were suspect.

• chenj16
    chenj16 Posts: 148
    edited May 2004
    Options
    ic, now i know not every model line in a respectable name brand shines, your comment indeed helped me on deciding and investment into a 2-channel amp, thanks george!

p.s. i'm also looking into the SR-880 MKII, what do you think of that one?
  • George Grand
    edited May 2004
    Options
    You're welcome.

No experience with SR-880 Mk.II's (or Mk.I's for that matter) so I can't say.

You find yourself a 70's Nikko or Onkyo at 70wpc or better and you'll be just fine. They command a lot less cash than the "legend" brands from the same time frame, and I've found them to sound just as good if not better, and reliability is better. I have yet to find a freakin' Nikko that doesn't work just fine.

• mikejz84
    mikejz84 Posts: 158
    edited May 2004
    Options
    I had a TA-150 (Just sold it on ebay, but the bidder might be a deadbeat) anyway, I can say that the thing has the power it claims--it was earblowing at less then half way up.