Receiver Recommendation For Polk RTi A5

ThirdWorldGuy
ThirdWorldGuy Posts: 39
edited September 2012 in 2 Channel Audio
Hi, This is my first thread so don't murder me if I'm in the wrong section.
I will be getting the RTi A5s in a couple of months and was looking at the Yamaha RX-V473 receiver to power them.
Is this a good option?
And is this a receiver that is meant to be used only with HTiB speakers? The local audio shop guy told me there are seperate amps for those speakers so I'm totally confused. Other than that I really like the receiver.
The stereo amplifiers he showed me were 2 Onkyos (9155 and 8030) and a Pioneer VSX-420. Which I looked up on the internet and all 3 dont seem very good products :/
Please help me out im totally lost...

Sorry for being a complete noob but this will be my second setup. Previous setup was Polk M60s with a PSW10 sub running through an outdated 55W/ch Pioneer 2 channel amp.

Uses : Music/Movies Equally.

Thanks.
Post edited by ThirdWorldGuy on

Comments

• chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    edited September 2012
    Welcome 3wguy. What are you looking for, a 2 channel stereo system or 5.1 surround system ?
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited September 2012
    Welcome to Club Polk. Pick a receiver that has all the bells and whistles that you want it to have and make sure it has preamp outputs to add a separate amplifier to it for more power in the future. It will cost you more money up front, but since these are designed to work for years you will certainly get your moneys worth out of it.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    edited September 2012
    Welcome to the Club. I completely agree with cfrizz comments. Make sure it has preamp outputs.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________
    AVR: Denon AVR-3805, AMP: Parasound Model 2250, Front: Polk RTIA7, Center: Polk CSIA6, Surrounds: Polk FXIA6, Sub: Polk DSW PRO660WI
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited September 2012
    Hard for us to recommend a receiver without knowing the budget my friend, and what use, 2 channel, surround sound. New or used ? Used will get you more receiver per dollar.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    edited September 2012
    The AVR you want does not appear to have preamp outputs but it will drive the 5's with no problem.
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited September 2012
    Welcome to Club Polk!

An entry level Yamaha is not going to give you the best performance with Rti towers. Think about listening to a Denon or a Harman Kardon AVR with adequate power. RTis need to be "warmed" up a little IMHO. And that means an AVR from Denon, Harman Kardon or Marantz! But then again, your ears might hear things differently.

The Yamaha 4XX should sound a little too bright on musical passages. The newer Yammie Aventage series seem to have addressed those problems. But they're also pricier!

Another good question asked above is are you thinking two channel or a surround AVR? If two channel just get a Harman Kardon 3490 at a good price and you should be fine!

If AVR, as mentioned above, get your ears on Denon, Harman Kardon and Marantz AVRs. They all sound good with Rti series Polks.

Get some listening on and have "fun"!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • ThirdWorldGuy
    edited September 2012
    Thanks for the replies everyone! <3
    The budget for the receiver is US$500 give or take $100.
    This will be a 2 channel setup for atleast 3-4 years, 5.1 after that. Looking for a brand new receiver.

I am really digging that HK 3490! I also really like Marantz, specifically the SR5007/SR5006(older model I'm guessing), but Marantz are really hard to find where I live, and they are expensive just like the Yamaha Aventage A820 about $850 each Amazon price.

I saw the specifications for the HK 3490 and I believe I can connect an external amplifier to with right?
    Seems like this is the one for me :D

Thanks people.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    edited September 2012
    You can connect an external amp to the 3490, but when you want to go surround sound in a few years, you'll need another receiver since the 3490 is 2ch only.

The Marantz SR5006 is a great option and can be had for $500:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARSR5006/Marantz-SR5006-AV-Receiver-with-Networking-and-AirPlay/1.html

They also carry the 5007 for $150 more.
  • ThirdWorldGuy
    edited September 2012
    Great suggestion but thing is that the prices I get here are the MSRP + $50.
    So according to the link above they used to list the SR5006 for $799.99 but it's been reduced to $499.99 now.
    Even if i find a Marantz here it will cost around $800 give or take $50. :(
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    edited September 2012
    Where is "here"?
  • ThirdWorldGuy
    edited September 2012
    That is irrelevant. Trust me, you don't want to know :p
  • ThirdWorldGuy
    edited September 2012
    I was browsing the Harman Kardon website and I saw this! http://www.harmankardon.com/EN-CA/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?PID=AVR%203600

None of the newer Harman Kardon AVRs 1650, 2650 and 3650 have pre amp outs. But this does!

Harman Kardon AVR 3600. 7.1, 80 watts/ch, 7.1 pre amp outs and a **** ton of other features except networking(no biggie). Amazon list price $1200 but they are selling it for $540-560! Should I get this and add the external amplifier later as suggested by many of you? Looks classy as well. Is Harman Kardon reliable?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited September 2012
    Yes, nothing wrong with HK receivers. Fits your budget and has plenty of bells and whistles, go for it. Did happen to notice an upgrade for software in your link, maybe look into that and see what it's for and any reviews on it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • specd_out
    specd_out Posts: 505
    edited September 2012
    I kinda have some experience in this matter. I started out with some rtia5s connected to a mid 90's HITB Sony AVR. Did it make sound yes. Did I think it sounded better then the sony cubes I had before, yes.

Then I upgraded to a used Yamaha 463. Nice improvement. A lot more settings. It sounded better. But I dont think I really got anything until I got my Pioneer Elite VSX-32. That really opened them up. They started to sound musical and really good in a HT setup.
    Then I connected it to my carver C-1 preamp and M1.0t power up Via preouts. This is how they are supposed to sound. Warm, detailed, and powerful. Night and day difference over just the elite.
    The difference is more present when listening to 2ch stereo or concert blurays, but its noticeable in movies as well.
    Audio falls into three categories for me. They can make noise, make sounds, or make music. You never know where your at until you have heard them all.

The main point is get something with preouts, make that the most important. You will want to grow at some point (being on this site will make that happen sooner rather then later) and having to spend another $400+ to get another AVR with preouts + the cost of an external amp is not fun.
    Granted if you havent heard them at their peak you wont really know what your missing. To some thats fine, for me, not having them at their peak was killing me. That and there was a sound I was striving for that I wasnt getting from AVR's.
    HT Rig Samsung 64F8500 |Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD|Pioneer Elite VSX-32| Two Carver TFM-15cb Bridged for mains|Polk Audio RTiA5 Cherry|Polk Audio CsiA6 Cherry|Polk Audio T-15 Heights|Polk Audio FXia6 Surround|DIY 8cuft Dayton Ultimax 15" powered with a Crown XLS1000
    2Channel Rig Polk Audio LSi9 Cherry| Carver C-1BillD Mod|Carver M1.0t MkII Opt2|Pro-ject RM 1.3|SpeedBox S|AQ King Cobras|AQ Rocket88|
    ISF Level 2 Certified Calibrator
  • ThirdWorldGuy
    edited September 2012
    Can any one post pictures of their cherry RTi A5s please or give me a link to any thread? Preferably in daytime? Please? Everyone is saying the cherry finish is beautiful.
    I went to the local audio shop and all he had for display were the black A5s and the black A7s in the rti range. Couldn't get a look at the cherry speakers.
  • specd_out
    specd_out Posts: 505
    edited September 2012
    IMO the cherry finish is just beautiful. The I personally like the RTIA finish better then the RTI line. Its a little darker and richer. Since its a stained real wood rather then a printed veneer or paint, there is a good chance that the two speakers wont match exactly. My left and right a5's are different and my csia6 is different. I like that. It adds to the beauty.
    Here is a link to a little photo shoot me and my brother did when I first got the a5's about 5 years ago. http://www.dsmphotos.com/Electronics/Polk-Speakers/6879560_f6zDGn#!i=441241683&k=93Ceu

Here is the most recent shot of my setup
    IMG1058-L.jpg
    HT Rig Samsung 64F8500 |Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD|Pioneer Elite VSX-32| Two Carver TFM-15cb Bridged for mains|Polk Audio RTiA5 Cherry|Polk Audio CsiA6 Cherry|Polk Audio T-15 Heights|Polk Audio FXia6 Surround|DIY 8cuft Dayton Ultimax 15" powered with a Crown XLS1000
    2Channel Rig Polk Audio LSi9 Cherry| Carver C-1BillD Mod|Carver M1.0t MkII Opt2|Pro-ject RM 1.3|SpeedBox S|AQ King Cobras|AQ Rocket88|
    ISF Level 2 Certified Calibrator
  • ThirdWorldGuy
    edited September 2012
    WOW specd_out thanks a ton for posting the pictures! They look fantastic and so does your setup! Excellent lighting btw!
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    edited September 2012
    Audio Adviser has a nice Marantz SR6006 on sale $500 off. Reg $1300 now $800. They ship anywhere, including your mystery country.
    www.audioadviser.com or call ( 800 ) 942-0220
  • gmjungbluth
    gmjungbluth Posts: 232
    edited September 2012
    Specd_out - very classy setup! Looks great! Puts my spaghetti mess of cables in the basement to shame!
    HT System:
    Marantz NR-1403
    Front: Klipsch CF-4
    Rear: Paradigm Atom V3
    Center: Boston Acoustic VR12
    Sub: Bowers & Wilkins ASW600

2Ch:
    Restored Fisher 500C
    Yamaha P-500 Turntable

Living Room:
    Harman Kardon 3380
    Restored Polk Monitor 7B