How do i know if i got a non defect MM12?

Options
Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited May 2004 in Car Subwoofer Talk
noob here hehe but recently i bought a mm12 for my mitsu eclipse (sounds great btw) but it blew and i returned to to Circuit City and got a new one but i wanted to know if i got another recalled sub or if i got a perfectly brand new one.. does anyone know the difference or what? The only difference on the sub i got now is that it has the graphs and performance specs writtin on the bottom on the box and other one that blew didnt have anything but the words "Championship Performance" on it.. so i was wondering if i got a perfectly good sub or another recalled sub..
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited May 2004
    Options
    I believe the newer ones have the specs on the bottom, don't know if the other one was recalled or not. The MM12 takes a long time to break in. 40 hours, in fact. Make sure to take it really easy on it for the first while, because they can be really easy to blow.
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2004
    Options
    damn...in past few weeks ive heard more ppl blow momos than ive ever seen on here...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Dear Polk....

.... please go back to the old DB days....

-Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • spud
    spud Posts: 6
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by LittleCar_w/12s
    Dear Polk....

-Jerry

x2
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Dang man, this is really making me take a second look at the MM12's. Cody, how are yours holding up? Where did you get them? Anyone know how they compare to the adire Shiva?
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • MarkyBoy
    MarkyBoy Posts: 8
    edited May 2004
    Options
    i think i hold the record. i blew both an MM10 and an MM12. They are very sensitive. Make sure that you break 'em in properly. I now have to got through the hassle of taking the 12 out of the enclosure and sending it POLK for repair or replacement.
    '02 NISSAN Sentra SER SpecV

:: PANASONIC CQ-C5310U :: POLK/MOMO MM12 (2):: ROCKFORD FOSGATE FNP 2614 6.5" Components :: ROCKFORD FOSGATE FRC4306 6.5" 3-ways :: ROCKFORD FOSGATE 601s :: ROCKFORD FOSGATE 301X :: ROCKFORD FOSGATE CPC10-03 Capacitor :: DIRECTED AUDIO 204 X-Over :: AUDIOBAHN AVM56T LCD :: ABSOLUTE DVD550 ::
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by MarkyBoy
    i think i hold the record. i blew both an MM10 and an MM12.
    not even close, ive sent twice as many momos back to polk as you have
    plus 1 tweeter that wasnt under warranty
    but actually, i think number 3 and 4 subs i sent back werent defective( i sent them back cuz they were hitting the grill), i think polk needs to redesign their grills
    but mine are holding up great
    i broke them in for about 30 hours and havent had a problem cept they hit the grill
    but that will be fixed with a dremel soon...
    i have no idea whats going on now....until like a month ago, only 1 or 2 ppl have come online to say the blew a sub...
    now its like...all the time
    i got mine from crutchfield
    if i were you, id get them from sounddomain, theyre pretty cheap there
    Polk has a 3 year warranty...so that has to say something...3x more than most
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    edited May 2004
    Options
    At least they are backing the product. That's gotta be worth something
    -Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by LittleCar_w/12s
    Dear Polk....

-Jerry

Funny, I just heard someone else say the exact same thing earlier today.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited May 2004
    Options
    hmm... other than a stiff suspension (and the grilles, i know, cody), what's wrong with the new ones? i think they sound awesome; maybe they're not built to be abused as the old ones were, but...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    .... what's wrong with the new ones?....

Well, considering that everyone who has posted about killing one recently, and quite a few after the required breakin period... I have seen that there is a problem:
    The COIL seems to die!
    -- most people are claiming smoke and a bad smell...
    -- The breakin period is for the SUSPENSION
    -- The resin holding the coil solid should not have to be 'broken in', as it is a SOLID material, simply warmed up and cooled down a few times

Deduction: Smoke... Smell... = Bad coils.
    At least that's what I'm getting here..
    -Jerry