Help Needed: Setting up JRiver MC to see library on NAS

Options
strider
strider Posts: 2,568
edited August 2012 in Going Digital
I've got the NAS up and connected to our network. I've created a share on the NAS for music and have successfully ripped a CD to it using dBpoweramp. I can see the file containing the CD on the computer that JRiver is on by accessing it via it's IP address, but can't figure out how to set JRiver to access the file.

Set up is: dBpoweramp on my laptop (runs Windows 7) using it to rip CD to NAS in FLAC format
NAS is a Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 2 connected to router via ethernet cable
Media computer is attached to network via ethernet, also running Windows 7
Media program is JRiver MC 17

Searching the 'net, I think that I may need to map the NAS as a network drive on the media computer in order for JRiver to see it. Tried to do that by going to Start -> Computer -> Map a drive but keep getting different error messages.

Am I looking in the right direction?

TIA,
Ben
Wristwatch--->Crisco
Post edited by strider on

Comments

• strider
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I was able to access the music files stored on the NAS by installing Netgear's ReadyNAS Remote on the media computer. I was also able to map the NAS as a drive, but only on my laptop. When I look at the network via the laptop, I see it, the media computer, and a PC that my wife uses in her office. When I go in the same way, Computer->Network on the media computer, the only computer that shows up is the media computer. It also won't show a full network map in the Networking and Sharing Center; has a message about network mapping being disabled by default on domain networks.

I'd still like to be able to map the NAS as a drive on the media computer.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • strider
    edited August 2012
    Options
    stein_bueller.gif

Anyone?:cheesygrin:
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    edited August 2012
    Options
    My segate does it automatically with the software installed. I would figure you should be able to map the drive though, you using 7 home or pro?
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • strider
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Thanks for replying.

The media computer and my wife's computer both have 7 Ultimate, my laptop has Home Premium on it.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • strider
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Spent way too much time searching the internet, found some info that earlier builds of Windows 7 have issues being unable to map network drives. Oh well, it's working now.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • Hobbyguy
    Hobbyguy Posts: 317
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I don't know much about netgears NAS but i have 3 synology NASs. The software on them allows iSCSI which will allow you to put a virtual hard drive on your hosts computer. I would bet that netgear also has iscsi virtualization.
  • strider
    edited August 2012
    Options
    The ReadyNAS Ultra does have iSCSI virtualization. Is there any benefit to using it now that I've got it hooked up and running?
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • Hobbyguy
    Hobbyguy Posts: 317
    edited August 2012
    Options
    i wish I could tell you if it was a benefit. I don't use it since windows 7 has already mapped out my NASs for me. i seem to recall somewhere that the iscsi might give faster read/write rates but i don't ever have more than 6 people streaming so speed does not seem to be an issue.