A.I. (simply excellent)

Ron-P
Ron-P Posts: 8,516
edited March 2002 in Music & Movies
I decided to buy this yesterday, against what most said here. I spun it last night and all I can say is......excellent.

This movie just reached out a grabbed me from the start, it has still not let go.

It touched on so many levels; life, death, the soul, love, hate, morality, and many more. There is just so much going on in this movie it is hard to find a starting point to begin explaining it. I must watch this again.

One of the most realistic sci-fi moves to date.

Peace Out~:D
If...
Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
Post edited by Ron-P on

Comments

• Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited March 2002
    Well, once you put yourself back together, I'd love for you to explain why you think this movie is so great. Just curious.

Aaron
  • Ron-P
    edited March 2002
    This movie explores our very, not so distant future and deals with our past on a very realistic level. I have to say that this is Spielberg’s most adult movie yet. The persecution of the mechas at the flesh fairs. Holding them in cages only to kill them, sounds all too familiar. Our current obsession with creating robots to take on the rolls of humans.

We as humans love to create without looking at the future and the final results. This movie puts that to the test. We have created, only to be destroyed by our creation.

The abusive family. A boy that tries so hard to become loved, only to end up being thrown by the road side like a piece of trash. Sounds like the latest news story on channel 9 at 8:00 tonight.

This movie touches on so many layers of truth of the current direction our society is going, it is scary.

One of the best sub-stories of this movie is how, we as humans create a robot that we could love. Yet, in the end, the robots create a human that a robot could love.

This movie goes way beyond the typical "safe" type movie Hollywood likes to make.

I will see this again and comment more. These are just a few reasons why I thought this movie was excellent.

If...
  • Billm57
    Billm57 Posts: 689
    edited March 2002
    i thought it was good but the last half hour runied it..i would ahve ended it 1/2 hour earlier..it would have been a darker ending but then again happy endings are over rated anyway
  • Ron-P
    edited March 2002
    No...No...No, the ending was perfect, it draws upon my sub-story from my previous thread. The ending is excellent.

If...
  • Billm57
    Billm57 Posts: 689
    edited March 2002
    ..I felt it went on a little too long..it almost seemd like the end I was referring to was meant to be the original ending and that the last half hour was tacked on later ..anyway thats the feeling I got..almost like it was another movie completely..I have heard this from others as well so I know Im not comnpletely crazy..maybe its because I prefer my sci-fi a little darker
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2002
    This proves it, Ron has lost his Faakin mind I tell ya....

Great movie? WTF man.... I can believe S-Berg actually let this hit the theaters.

Cheers,
    Russ

ps: guys, stay out of the 'Steelhead' brew, it does strange things to the nervous system..... (see Ron's initial post above)
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2002
    I'm going to give this one a look. I stayed away from the theater because of the bad reviews...However, I generally like Speilberg's movies (except for The Color Purple) and would like to see this one.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • -justin-
    -justin- Posts: 891
    edited March 2002
    I would have to agree with those who say the movie is simply too long. And the ending, not very impressive (although cool, when the ship they are riding in breaks away from them).

I liked the "humans made us" --> "we want to make humans" message near the end. The never ending cycle of desiring and creating something that we can never be.

It makes sense in the future of evolution to EVOLVE into machines capable of feeling. The brain is just a bit circuit, we just can't figure it out right now. And when the world collapses and changes, we may not let evolution decide our own fate, but FORCE our evolution to change with the world. Sounds stupid, but makes you think.

Cool effects, kind of too soft and girly (sorry) at times. I think Kubrick could have done a much more "in your face" job without all the sissy crap.

~JB
  • Eddie624
    Eddie624 Posts: 77
    edited March 2002
    hmm realistic and sci fi movies in the same sentence. What i really hate is when people will say that wasnt a good movie because it is unrealistic. Well i thought this movie was ok. But have to say i was a little bored with it. Anyone that tries to replace a son/daughter with a robot should be stuck in a mental hospital. Why is it it is always mother son type stuff do they not just give a crap about the DAD.
  • Ron-P
    edited March 2002
    Why is it it is always mother son type stuff do they not just give a crap about the DAD.
    In relation to this movie the dad really wanted nothing to do with David. All he wanted was to get his wife back. David was just another attempt at getting her back. The dad never activated David for that reason.

I guess I didn't think is was too long, infact it was one of the fastest 2:25 that I've sat thru. One of those that just drew me in and didn't let up.

If...
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited March 2002
    why dont the dad & mom just have a another kid. natral or adoption i havent seen the movie yet but the way every one talks about it im going to get it right away
    thanks
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • mlware
    mlware Posts: 29
    edited March 2002
    AI is great! Days after watching it, I'm still thinking about it. I know half of those who've seen it despise it in an unhealthily pronounced way, so I won't say too much. Personally I love Spielberg's powers as a filmmaker as much as the greats, Kubrick, Kurosawa, Peckinpah, Lean; I don't feel the need to belittle this director's abilities. Glad to see the Academy lacks the __ to even extend a cursory nomination in a major category. I think AI will still be there when a Beautiful Mind is off gathering dust alongside American Beauty and Kramer vs Kramer on the rejected trends shelf.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited March 2002
    just finished watched ai very good but long but good