Improve my stock stereo without voiding warranty?

Options
bklynNupe
bklynNupe Posts: 728
edited August 2012 in Car Audio & Electronics
I recently purchased a used certified Volkswagen vehicle. The so-called premium sound system comes with cd changer and satellite radio.
I think the stereo sound like the average boom box. Is there anything I can do to improve the sound without violating my service warranty? I'm not looking for anything crazy but I'm just wondering if I could add better quality speakers and a bit of power to improve the overall sound quality.

Thanks.

emotiva xpa-2
emotiva xpa-3
Denon 3312ci
Rtia9 /csia6 / FXi A6
Samsung LN46A650
SVS PB-12-NSD sub

Audio Research SP-9 MKIII (GNSC mods)
W4S ST250
Lsi 9 (mods)
W4S DAC-2
Mac Mini
Audio Aero Prima CD player
Pro-Ject debut
Post edited by bklynNupe on

Comments

• decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    edited May 2012
    Options
    I seriously doubt your stereo is part of your service warranty. I could be wrong,have been before!!!!
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • pentoncm
    pentoncm Posts: 379
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Yeah you can do whatever you want. The major warranty that you want to worry about is the powertrain which doesn't have anything to do with the electronics.
    Audison Bit Ten
    Kenwood X595
    Polk MM6501
    Polk MM1240
    Mtx 704x
    Alpine MRX50
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited May 2012
    Options
    bklynNupe wrote: »
    I recently purchased a used certified Volkswagen vehicle. The so-called premium sound system comes with cd changer and satellite radio.
    I think the stereo sound like the average boom box. Is there anything I can do to improve the sound without violating my service warranty? I'm not looking for anything crazy but I'm just wondering if I could add better quality speakers and a bit of power to improve the overall sound quality.

Thanks.

Consumers in the US can upgrade factory electronics without voiding their vehicle's warranty courtesy of the Magnusen-Moss Warranty Act:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson?Moss_Warranty_Act

Unfortunately, car manufacturers in Canada have no such legislation preventing them from voiding the electrical portion of the vehicle's warranty when aftermarket audio gear is visibly installed during the warranty period.

What VW did you buy? Which radio did it come with? (there are several) Do you intend to keep a factory amplifier if equipped?

If you are going to upgrade, you can do something as simple as a Line Out Converter feeding signal to aftermarket amplifiers, then drop in some upgraded speakers with a small subwoofer, or something as high tech as an OEM Integration Processor taking signal from the OEM radio and tweaking it with equalization before passing it along to amps/speakers/subwoofer.
  • bklynNupe
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Good to know Greg, thanks!
    I have a 2009 Jetta. I don't drive much given I take the subway to work. I only use it on weekends. I'm really not sure about the exact stereo I have. I did use a tool available on the polk site to figure out which replacement polks would fit my vehicle. Off hand, I figure I would upgrade the speakers and add a amp. Does this make sense?
    Also, how does polk auto speakers compare to other brands in the same price range?

emotiva xpa-2
    emotiva xpa-3
    Denon 3312ci
    Rtia9 /csia6 / FXi A6
    Samsung LN46A650
    SVS PB-12-NSD sub

W4S ST250
    Lsi 9 (mods)
    W4S DAC-2
    Mac Mini
    Pro-Ject debut
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Well, I loved my db's and loved my SRs even more- haven't got to audition the MM series, but the DXi series sound promising in their price point.

You'll want to research your radio and whether it uses a factory amplifier (probably under driver's seat if equipped) to know the best way of taking signal for aftermarket amps.
  • bklynNupe
    edited May 2012
    Options
    any recommendations for installers in the nyc area?

emotiva xpa-2
    emotiva xpa-3
    Denon 3312ci
    Rtia9 /csia6 / FXi A6
    Samsung LN46A650
    SVS PB-12-NSD sub

W4S ST250
    Lsi 9 (mods)
    W4S DAC-2
    Mac Mini
    Pro-Ject debut
  • tonyw
    tonyw Posts: 21
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Just keep your stock speakers, odds are they are better designed for where they are than the polks could ever be! ( thas my experience with replacement speakers) and add a powered subwoofer, like infinitys basslink, just gotta run wires to battery, slap the unit in your trunk, and take signal feed s off of back speakers, itl add plenty of bump, allow you to tur down bass on your deck and thus play stock speakers louder without distortion, plus the unit will take very little room in your cargo area, plus its amazing how some bass makes everything else sound so much better, specially since its a premium system your dealing with, god only knows therel be amps for every spaker youl have to bypass an all that jazz, and youl pay somebody agrip a cah just to swap it all out with a deck and amp that was no better than what you originally had anyway