No Tweet

Citabriaman
Citabriaman Posts: 1
edited May 2004 in Troubleshooting
Hi,

I've got a pair of Polk R40 speakers that are sounding very flat. I can hear no sound coming from either of the tweaters. Are the tweaters blown or is there some other problem?

I purchased the speakers on 1/30/2001. Are they still under warranty and would I have to return the entire speaker for a repair or could I just send the faulty part?

Thanks,

Craig
Post edited by Citabriaman on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,966
    edited February 2004
    Remove the woofer *opposite side of the binding post on the back*

see if there is any messed up piece in the crossover....

If nothing is wrong there

take out the tweet, make sure all connections are good...

if they are, they are blown..

Since they are blown at this point, call Ken.

Polk will just want you to send the blown parts, and they will send you a replacement in return.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited February 2004
    Before you start taking stuff apart...Both tweeters? Have you tried hooking up another pair of speakers to the same terminals on your receiver and listened to the tweeters. Seems strange to have both tweeters in both speakers fail at the exact same time.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • kingkip
    kingkip Posts: 401
    edited February 2004
    Totally off subject, and no help whatsoever, but with a name like Citabriaman I'm assuming you fly one. I ask because I just got done being upside down for the better part of an hour.
    There are two ways to argue with women. Both of them are wrong.
  • bojangles89
    bojangles89 Posts: 4
    edited May 2004
    The same thing happened to me with my R-40's. This was about 6 months to a year ago and now I'm afraid it's happened again. The same symptoms. I hope nothing is wrong with the crossover. I'm fairly sure that they've blown again. I don't want to rip on Polk as a whole at all. They replaced the tweeters last time with no problems and they sounded like new again. R-40's are rated up to 150 watts...maybe I need more wattage or something I thought 80 would be enough. Well hope this helps, my vote is that it's the tweeters not the crossover.
    Harman Kardon AVR 520
    Sony 5-disc DVP-NC600 dvd player
    Polk R-40 fronts
    Polk Csi-30 center
    Paradigm Performance Series ADP-170 Ver.3 surrounds
    AR PS112 sub
    Samsung tv with 16:9 aspect ratio
    (unfortunatly not true wide screen)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited May 2004
    Not knowing all the facts of the gear you two guys own and your listening habits I'm going out on a limb and say it's got to do with volume levels. If you're turning the volume up near or past the halfway point, it's too high. It's got nothing to do with crossovers, it's got everything to do with dirty power and clipping.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by F1nut
    Not knowing all the facts of the gear you two guys own and your listening habits... clipping.
    Ditto...

Welcome to the Club, Citabriaman. How do you pronounce that?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD