Martin Logan price hike on the panels and parts making them too expensive to own

polkfarmboy
polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
edited July 2012 in Vintage Speakers
Well Martin Logan the great American? speaker ' corporation ' has just left all its loyal customer base in an audio dead spot after skyrocketing the prices on all its older discontinued models. This makes it insane to try repairing your older panels or parts when times comes to pay for it. Not long ago Martin Logan wanted to stop making these parts for the very customers that built the company up to what it has become today' corporate greed' but after hundreds of angry users complained they announced lifetime support on all products and everyone was happy and used sales continued to boom on the market

Just a short while ago ML decided to punish there loyal customer base by increasing the prices to outrageous amounts. I will get these prices posted once some guy? thats happens to be the only one? that has the price list gets back from holiday.But the diff we are talking here is you can buy a new pair of Vista Logans for the price of a pair of panels on a pair of SL3, $150 woofer part now cost like $700

This is the kinda thing that happens when a guy who knows nothing about audio takes ownership of an audio company who's rep was built on loyalty and good word of mouth. Its all about the shareholders and nothing to do with the customers, I cant see myself getting a new pair of discontinued summit, spire or old clz's in future and will pursue a different pair when eventually building a 2 ch rig for my next audio project
Post edited by polkfarmboy on

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,089
    edited July 2012
    I guess you will have to be more careful with your gear now.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    edited July 2012
    I would like to borrow a pair to listen to but I will probably stay with my old Polks. And after reading what you said well that pretty much does it for sure.
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,019
    edited July 2012
    Not agreeing with the move as the price hike seems extremely drastic but I will point out that buying old ML product does not really help Martin Logan... just sayin ;)

Just like buying SDAs do not help Polk.. :-D
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited July 2012
    VR3 wrote: »
    Not agreeing with the move as the price hike seems extremely drastic but I will point out that buying old ML product does not really help Martin Logan... just sayin ;)

You mean they're not getting rich off all those low production RD0's and MW's? :cheesygrin:
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • VR3
    edited July 2012
    You might have a point there! ;)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • OldmanSRS
    OldmanSRS Posts: 418
    edited July 2012
    MARTIN LOGAN AERIUS SPEAKERS (2) - $900 (North Knoxville)

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/ele/3073328644.html
    '65 427 Shelby Cobra
    '72 Triumph TR-6
    '05 HSU VTF-3 Sub (Original OEM)
    '20 HSU VTF-3 Sub (three more, 100% cloned)
    '93 Carver TFM-35
    '88 Carver M-1.0t
    '88 Adcom GFT-555
    '88 Adcom GFP-555
    '88 Adcom GFA-555 (upgraded/restored)
    '88 Adcom GFA-555 (a second one upgraded/restored)
    '05 Onkyo DV-555 media
    '89 Fosgate 360 Digital Space Matrix
    '89 Fosgate 360 Digital Space Matrix, internal surround amp bridged to drive only a center channel
    '91 Kenwood Basic M1D Amp
    '89 Pioneer Laser Disc media
    '89 Sony SuperBeta HiFi media
    One PGA2310 based custom built remote volume control
    Four Polk T-15's
    Two Polk TSi-200's
    Two Polk TSi-100's
    Two Polk CS-10's

• polkfarmboy
    edited July 2012

Fair point but what if you bought them brand new a few years ago. Then where does that leave you because you did infact help ML

I think its terrible because ML does indeed manufacture a " PERISHABLE " product as all ML panels are designed in such a way that they eventually fail. To put the hammer down on all the loyal customers who supported them is not a good business model for keeping customers coming back. My ML stage center was outrageously expensive and there is a new one coming out soon, by the time my panel fails on it I will be looking at a really sky high bill to replace parts. Even my source and Vista speakers are not being produced anymore so I feel like a few years down the road I'm screwed
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,888
    edited July 2012

RT55i
    RT35i
    RT25i
    RTiA9
    CSiA6
    FXiA6 2 Sets
    DSW 500 and 600

20 RDO's

And I'm missing a couple of others, all purchased new or from the Polk eBay store.

And I have owned many used Polk speakers as well, so on my part I disagree... ;-)
  • codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    edited July 2012
    I guess you will have to be more careful with your gear now.

I laughed out loud. Really, I did!

WTF are you complaining about? THIS IS A VERY, VERY, VERY EXPENSIVE HOBBY. You of all people in this sight should know that by now. If you don't like the way ML is doing business, then make a statement and dump them and try something new. God, I swear, the only crap we see out of you is, "I broke something" or "I made someone cry over the phone so they will give me something that's not rightfully mine for free". That's probably what will happen when you put your drunken foot through that super awesome aluminum woofer if yours. Get over it.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited July 2012
    codyc1ark wrote: »

WTF are you complaining about? THIS IS A VERY, VERY, VERY EXPENSIVE HOBBY. You of all people in this sight should know that by now. If you don't like the way ML is doing business, then make a statement and dump them and try something new. God, I swear, the only crap we see out of you is, "I broke something" or "I made someone cry over the phone so they will give me something that's not rightfully mine for free". That's probably what will happen when you put your drunken foot through that super awesome aluminum woofer if yours. Get over it.

Damn Cody need a cigarette...JK...:razz:
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • VR3
    edited July 2012
    Nothing last forever...

Polk is an exception in the manufacture market of providing parts 20 or so years later...
  • polkfarmboy
    edited July 2012
    codyc1ark wrote: »

WTF are you complaining about? THIS IS A VERY, VERY, VERY EXPENSIVE HOBBY. .

This thread that your trashing is here to educate folks who may buy used ML. You cant grasp the point of this thread because your an ignoramus whose whole understanding of audio boils down to A: 2 Bose speakers you jam out to in the yard B: A pioneer receiver with an oppo BDP.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited July 2012
    This thread that your trashing is here to educate folks who may buy used ML
    Have you posted this yet at the ML forum?
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • codyc1ark
    edited July 2012
    This thread that your trashing is here to educate folks who may buy used ML. You cant grasp the point of this thread because your an ignoramus whose whole understanding of audio boils down to A: 2 Bose speakers you jam out to in the yard B: A pioneer receiver with an oppo BDP.

Well, at least I have a yard that I can jam out in, and don't have a hodgepodge of stats packed into an apartment. Keep making someone else rich, buddy.
  • codyc1ark
    edited July 2012
    TX- I do!!! But I refuse!
  • polkfarmboy
    edited July 2012
    Face wrote: »
    Have you posted this yet at the ML forum?

There is a thread about to be posted specifically for this matter but there is another ontopic ongoing discussion of this in a thread posted by a ML rep who announced a life time support for ML customers thread
This discussion has been closed.